The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Music 2015/2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ministralia
There is and it plays Basso Continue

There is a SATB choir, Strings and continuo (cello & harpsichord/organ)
Reply 61
There is and it plays Basso Continue

You are right that there is a Basso Continuo and the harpsichord usually play it but not in ATGOTL. The cello and double bass play it
Reply 62
Original post by zeldor711
Does anyone know where I can find the scores for the set works online? I don't really need them as most information is in my revision guide, and the note-filling in part is generally either a sequence or in steps, but still nice to have.

The scores for pieces in AOS3 and 4 are pretty hard to come by as they have been transcribed by Edexcel so are only in the anthology, however here are scores for the pieces in AOS1 and 2 that I have found across the internet.
Reply 63
We don't need to get into a debate about a basso continuo. Different versions have different versions playing it! We'll have studied different versions, that's all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Does anybody else think it unlikely that both Handel and Capercaille would be essay questions? It just seems too obvious!

Posted from TSR Mobile
We've been told that Moby or Bernstein could come up as the essay question but it will most likely be Handel and Capercaillie as neither of them have come up before.
Reply 66
Yes I think it's kind of unlikely also because there is still another year of this GCSE so if they used Handel and Capercaillie this year then both essays next year would be repetitions. But if you prepare Handel and Capercaillie I think at least one of them will almost definitely up

Posted from TSR Mobile
According to the predictions it might be Grace, Sky Walking song, And the glory of the Lord or Piano Prelude
Reply 68
According to the predictions it might be Grace, Sky Walking song, And the glory of the Lord or Piano Prelude

what predicitions?
Reply 69
Like many of you I am reeaally hoping for Handel as the essay question - its the best set work!!
Capercaillie & handel are the only two set works that haven't come up since 2011 when all the others have!

For reference if anyone was wondering:
2011- chopin & jeff buckley
2012- something's coming & yiri
2013- mozart & moby
2014- electric counterpoint & rag desh
2015- peripetie & all blues

sooo hopefully section B will be in our favour haha. Taking music is my biggest regret aaah

Just need some help, I literally don't know what to say when they ask "Do you like this music, why/why not" blah blah blah I know that sounds stupid as it's just an opinion but I genuinely don't think I have a justifiable reason why, you know?? If anyone has any staple reasons they could help with that would be fab
Reply 70
Original post by laurendean
Like many of you I am reeaally hoping for Handel as the essay question - its the best set work!!
Capercaillie & handel are the only two set works that haven't come up since 2011 when all the others have!

For reference if anyone was wondering:
2011- chopin & jeff buckley
2012- something's coming & yiri
2013- mozart & moby
2014- electric counterpoint & rag desh
2015- peripetie & all blues

sooo hopefully section B will be in our favour haha. Taking music is my biggest regret aaah

Just need some help, I literally don't know what to say when they ask "Do you like this music, why/why not" blah blah blah I know that sounds stupid as it's just an opinion but I genuinely don't think I have a justifiable reason why, you know?? If anyone has any staple reasons they could help with that would be fab

You can make up generic rubbish. If you know the piece/extract (make sure you're clear what they're asking about) has riffs in thirds, you can state you like the sax riff in thirds or vice versa. Or comment on the texture. I like the use of polyphony. I don't like the use of monophony. Try and plan a like and dislike for each set work. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by Kxjzh
You can make up generic rubbish. If you know the piece/extract (make sure you're clear what they're asking about) has riffs in thirds, you can state you like the sax riff in thirds or vice versa. Or comment on the texture. I like the use of polyphony. I don't like the use of monophony. Try and plan a like and dislike for each set work. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay thank you that was really helpful!!
Original post by Vigster
what predicitions?

Look at the first page of this thread (the chart)
Reply 73
Original post by laurendean
Ah okay thank you that was really helpful!!

Glad to hear it! Any questions, let me know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the written essay do they always give you a choice of one from area of study 1/2 and one from area of study 3/4. So would it work if i were just to learn sos 1 and 2 essays?
Reply 75
Original post by ellenarichards00
For the written essay do they always give you a choice of one from area of study 1/2 and one from area of study 3/4. So would it work if i were just to learn sos 1 and 2 essays?

Yes you only have to learn 2 areas of study
Original post by Kxjzh
Generally, they mark you on points you've made but not exactly. Do you want me to post an example of an A*(10/10) essay? If so, let me know which set work and I can easily do it for you.

Your other essays are really helpful pls could you do a Jeff one as people are walk saying that it could come up
Original post by Kxjzh
Does anybody else think it unlikely that both Handel and Capercaille would be essay questions? It just seems too obvious!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but I have a feeling that one of them will come up
[QUOTE="revise;65370029" plshelpme="plshelpme"]
Original post by Kxjzh
Generally, they mark you on points you've made but not exactly. Do you want me to post an example of an A*(10/10) essay? If so, let me know which set work and I can easily do it for you.

Your other essays are really helpful pls could you do a Jeff one as people are walk saying that it could come up

Yes please !!!
Reply 79
[QUOTE="revise;65370029" plshelpme="plshelpme"]
Original post by Kxjzh

Of course! I'm not very confident with Buckley but I shall do my best and post it tomorrow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending