The Student Room Group

For all who are sitting the aqa gcse math unit 2 exam 2016, i need help!

OK I'm procrastinating a little because I find Algebra tricky and making x or y the subject? Can some divine soul help me? Just explain with a n example of how to do all this proficiently preferably at A/A* grades. Ty. So stressed :/
Reply 1
Original post by Genialtropism
OK I'm procrastinating a little because I find Algebra tricky and making x or y the subject? Can some divine soul help me? Just explain with a n example of how to do all this proficiently preferably at A/A* grades. Ty. So stressed :/

Well firstly, don't stress about something you can't do. The key to anything to do with algebra is to take it step by step.

This question is from the November 2015 Unit 2 higher paper (for anyone wondering):

Make x the subject of:

y = (3x+ 5) / (x)

(I'm using brackets so that it's easier to understand, hopefully :h:)

I call this method neutralisation (It's just how I remember it :tongue:).
You do the reverse order of operations.

First you multiply both sides by (x).
This leaves you with:

yx = 3x + 5

The next step is to collate the (x)'s on to one side (this will let us factorise).
Here we can take away (3x).
That leaves us with:

yx - 3x = 5

Because you have two terms that both have (x) in them on the left hand side, you can factorise that expression. This means taking (x) outside the brackets. It looks like this:

x (y - 3) = 5

If you want to check that you've done it right, you can expand the brackets again, (I'm not going to).

Now we divide the whole equation by the bracket, (y - 3), leaving us with:

x = (5) / (y - 3)

There you go. I hope this helped.

:u:
Reply 2
Original post by ChandanJ
Well firstly, don't stress about something you can't do. The key to anything to do with algebra is to take it step by step.

This question is from the November 2015 Unit 2 higher paper (for anyone wondering):

Make x the subject of:

y = (3x+ 5) / (x)

(I'm using brackets so that it's easier to understand, hopefully :h:)

I call this method neutralisation (It's just how I remember it :tongue:).
You do the reverse order of operations.

First you multiply both sides by (x).
This leaves you with:

yx = 3x + 5

The next step is to collate the (x)'s on to one side (this will let us factorise).
Here we can take away (3x).
That leaves us with:

yx - 3x = 5

Because you have two terms that both have (x) in them on the left hand side, you can factorise that expression. This means taking (x) outside the brackets. It looks like this:

x (y - 3) = 5

If you want to check that you've done it right, you can expand the brackets again, (I'm not going to).

Now we divide the whole equation by the bracket, (y - 3), leaving us with:

x = (5) / (y - 3)

There you go. I hope this helped.

:u:

Perfectly explained. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ?Hannah
Perfectly explained. :smile:

Thank you
:u::u:

Quick Reply

Latest