The Student Room Group

Self-studying A-Level Sociology

Hi, for those who do A-Level Sociology, do you think it would be possible to learn all the year 1 content over the next few months using textbooks/revision guides/Seneca? Is there very much of it? I did GCSE sociology and have heard from some that the A-Level content is just an extension of it, with the units for AQA sociology being the exact same as GCSE. I would learn the bulk of content over summer and then ask my school to allow me to sit some mock exams to give me a predicted grade from there. For reference, I do essay subjects for A Level and got a 9 in GCSE Sociology so should hopefully be able to pick up the essay technique.
Original post by poppy2022
Hi, for those who do A-Level Sociology, do you think it would be possible to learn all the year 1 content over the next few months using textbooks/revision guides/Seneca? Is there very much of it? I did GCSE sociology and have heard from some that the A-Level content is just an extension of it, with the units for AQA sociology being the exact same as GCSE. I would learn the bulk of content over summer and then ask my school to allow me to sit some mock exams to give me a predicted grade from there. For reference, I do essay subjects for A Level and got a 9 in GCSE Sociology so should hopefully be able to pick up the essay technique.

I did Sociology A level (finished Year 13 this year) and I would say that A level sociology is definitely not the same as sociology gcse. I didn’t do GCSE Sociology but my brother does and from what I’ve seen, it’s like they only do 1/4 of what we did at A level. At GCSE you only learn the basics with little evaluation but for A level if you want to get an A/A* you have to know more that what you are taught in lessons so if you want to teach yourself and sit the mocks you have to work really hard. It’s not impossible but it is really difficult as there is a lot to learn. Maybe you could aim for a B in the mocks and ask your teachers to put an A as a predicted grade if you tell them that you will work hard next year.
I was predicted an A* for sociology but that’s because I worked extremely hard. Some in my class who had done gcse sociology were predicted Bs and Cs.
Just take into consideration everything that I said and it would be best if you email the sociology teachers in your school and ask them their opinion. Hope this helps xx
Reply 2
Original post by Lenaraza
I did Sociology A level (finished Year 13 this year) and I would say that A level sociology is definitely not the same as sociology gcse. I didn’t do GCSE Sociology but my brother does and from what I’ve seen, it’s like they only do 1/4 of what we did at A level. At GCSE you only learn the basics with little evaluation but for A level if you want to get an A/A* you have to know more that what you are taught in lessons so if you want to teach yourself and sit the mocks you have to work really hard. It’s not impossible but it is really difficult as there is a lot to learn. Maybe you could aim for a B in the mocks and ask your teachers to put an A as a predicted grade if you tell them that you will work hard next year.
I was predicted an A* for sociology but that’s because I worked extremely hard. Some in my class who had done gcse sociology were predicted Bs and Cs.
Just take into consideration everything that I said and it would be best if you email the sociology teachers in your school and ask them their opinion. Hope this helps xx

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest