The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insight314
What kind of annotations does he do? Is it worth to print the 2015 past papers and annotate them during the mock as prep for real exam or do they not make that much of a difference? I don't even know what you mean with "annotations" but yeah. Do you annotate? I hope this is not some kind of usual thing good STEP candidates do as exam technique since I have never even printed the papers when doing them lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na he just annotated with useful hongs and 'insight' into questions. Very useful but I have hardly heard anyone doing it.
But have a look at the link Zacken posted after your III mock it is quite interesting the amount of things he wrote down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just thought I'd drop by and wish everyone the best of luck for STEP and any of their upcoming exams. If I have any valuable advice from experience it would be that if any of the STEP exams don't go the way you expected do not under any circumstances let it affect your mood for the next exam because you will regret it. Although I do understand that it's easy for me to say and hard to do in practice.
Reply 482
Original post by ThatPerson
Just thought I'd drop by and wish everyone the best of luck for STEP and any of their upcoming exams. If I have any valuable advice from experience it would be that if any of the STEP exams don't go the way you expected do not under any circumstances let it affect your mood for the next exam because you will regret it. Although I do understand that it's easy for me to say and hard to do in practice.

Thank you very much! Hope your uni exams have/are going well.
What were peoples thoughts on Q 1 III 2014? Seems like a really dumb question, i dont get the point of what we accomplished at the end of it. Is there some deeper idea i missed?
Original post by EnglishMuon
What were peoples thoughts on Q 1 III 2014? Seems like a really dumb question, i dont get the point of what we accomplished at the end of it. Is there some deeper idea i missed?

I didn't think much of that question when I did it either, tbh. It feels a bit like an algebra slog, which should make it accessible to all candidates I suppose.

I liked it because it was easy :smile:. I think the point of the whole thing was to evaluate the integral at the end, which yeah is a bit pointless because partial fractions could easily give even an antiderivative. But probably just to demonstrate how hyperbolic integrals etc. can be used cleverly to work out values of other types of integrals (in this case one of a rational function).

EDIT: Aaaaand I just realised you're on about Q1 not Q2.

Looking at the right question this time, I think it was just a clever method of finding relationships between the SiS_i since it would be quite hard otherwise.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I liked it because it was easy :smile:. I think the point of the whole thing was to evaluate the integral at the end, which yeah is a bit pointless because partial fractions could easily give even an antiderivative. But probably just to demonstrate how hyperbolic integrals etc. can be used cleverly to work out values of other types of integrals (in this case one of a rational function).

EDIT: Aaaaand I just realised you're on about Q1 not Q2.

haha yep :tongue: but yeah I liked q2 because it yea it was 15 mins for 20 marks and you got some funky mix of hyperbolics and other trig expressions
haha yep :tongue: but yeah I liked q2 because it yea it was 15 mins for 20 marks and you got some funky mix of hyperbolics and other trig expressions

Only problem with the Q was that it was almost an exact repeat of the 2004 integration Q.
Looking at the right question this time, I think it was just a clever method of finding relationships between the SiS_i since it would be quite hard otherwise.

yeah but still we get an easy way to expresses the Si 's interms of qs/rs but then there is nothing else we do with it :tongue:
yeah but still we get an easy way to expresses the Si 's interms of qs/rs but then there is nothing else we do with it :tongue:

It seemed like we were trying to see whether SaSb=Sa+bS_aS_b=S_{a+b} but it didn't work it out lol.
It seemed like we were trying to see whether SaSb=Sa+bS_aS_b=S_{a+b} but it didn't work it out lol.

lol yea I know! I got to the end and was waiting for a proof that it works for all a,b, then it was just like Disappointed-Meme-Face-02.jpg
lol yea I know! I got to the end and was waiting for a proof that it works for all a,b, then it was just like Disappointed-Meme-Face-02.jpg

Haha such a buzzkill at the end XD.
Was just looking through the III 2014 solutions though, and then I saw this:
"plus the integral of a perfect differential". "differential". And that is certainly not the only time I've seen it in mark schemes. You'd think STEP examiners would know the difference between 'differential' and 'derivative'...
Did you guys know that you can't take your STEP exams in your usual exam hall but have to take them in a separate room by yourself or at least that is how it is in my school. I prefer it this way to be honest. Oh, and make sure you bring photo ID with you. Also, you are allowed to use a timer for your STEP exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"plus the integral of a perfect differential". "differential". And that is certainly not the only time I've seen it in mark schemes. You'd think STEP examiners would know the difference between 'differential' and 'derivative'...

Used to be standard terminology when I was young; ah, the times change...

Who cares, only sados know the difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 496

Have you seen this?

Terrence Tao

One can roughly divide mathematical education into three stages:

The “pre-rigorous” stage, in which mathematics is taught in an informal, intuitive manner, based on examples, fuzzy notions, and hand-waving. (For instance, calculus is usually first introduced in terms of slopes, areas, rates of change, and so forth.) The emphasis is more on computation than on theory. This stage generally lasts until the early undergraduate years.

The “rigorous” stage, in which one is now taught that in order to do maths “properly”, one needs to work and think in a much more precise and formal manner (e.g. re-doing calculus by using epsilons and deltas all over the place). The emphasis is now primarily on theory; and one is expected to be able to comfortably manipulate abstract mathematical objects without focusing too much on what such objects actually “mean”. This stage usually occupies the later undergraduate and early graduate years

The “post-rigorous” stage, in which one has grown comfortable with all the rigorous foundations of one’s chosen field, and is now ready to revisit and refine one’s pre-rigorous intuition on the subject, but this time with the intuition solidly buttressed by rigorous theory. (For instance, in this stage one would be able to quickly and accurately perform computations in vector calculus by using analogies with scalar calculus, or informal and semi-rigorous use of infinitesimals, big-O notation, and so forth, and be able to convert all such calculations into a rigorous argument whenever required.) The emphasis is now on applications, intuition, and the “big picture”. This stage usually occupies the late graduate years and beyond.

Original post by Zacken
Have you seen this?

Pretty sure they're supposed to be in that 3rd stage.
But that was an interesting read :smile:.
Question about inequalities: when they ask you to prove/show that a given inequality is true, is it acceptable to start with that inequality and manipulate til you get something that is definitely true and then say that therefore the initial inequality is true? I know its probably the opposite way round to what you're supposed to do but I can never spot which other inequality I'm supposed to use so can only do it this way, however it does kind of feel like cheating starting with the thing they've asked you to prove.
Reply 499
Original post by smartalan73
Question about inequalities: when they ask you to prove/show that a given inequality is true, is it acceptable to start with that inequality and manipulate til you get something that is definitely true and then say that therefore the initial inequality is true? I know its probably the opposite way round to what you're supposed to do but I can never spot which other inequality I'm supposed to use so can only do it this way, however it does kind of feel like cheating starting with the thing they've asked you to prove.

Only if you then cross out your work and do it in reverse. That is: all your steps must be reversible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending