The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juan Baya
Is there anybody doing Catullus at all?? :':wink:

Me!
Original post by Penelope..
Me!

Any ideas on what might come up for the essays/commentary?

Do you think they might provide a commentary question on more than one, since some of them are so short? As great as Poem 85 is, trying to drag out 25 marks for a 2-line poem....
Any ideas on what might come up for the essays/commentary?

Do you think they might provide a commentary question on more than one, since some of them are so short? As great as Poem 85 is, trying to drag out 25 marks for a 2-line poem....

Not really sure... perhaps something to do with the theme of love? Yeah, they might. Kinda hoping poem 64 won't come up though :smile:
Not really sure... perhaps something to do with the theme of love? Yeah, they might. Kinda hoping poem 64 won't come up though :smile:

Yes, I was thinking something along those lines - plenty of scope to talk about his complaints about Lesbia. Probably give something like that for the broad essay and one fairly long one with enough to discuss for the commentary.

Hoping against the Arrius poem too, hopefully 101 will turn up somewhere
Yes, I was thinking something along those lines - plenty of scope to talk about his complaints about Lesbia. Probably give something like that for the broad essay and one fairly long one with enough to discuss for the commentary.

Hoping against the Arrius poem too, hopefully 101 will turn up somewhere

Yeah, I like poem 101 :smile:
Yeah, I like poem 101 :smile:

Luckily, I tend to find that there is plenty to talk about with Catullus, it'll just be a question of getting through the Unseen section leaving myself enough time to write and finish both essays:s-smilie:
Luckily, I tend to find that there is plenty to talk about with Catullus, it'll just be a question of getting through the Unseen section leaving myself enough time to write and finish both essays:s-smilie:

Good luck!
Good luck!

You too!
Anyone else so stressed they feel like nothing is going in and just going and hiding under a rock until friday afternoon?
Original post by sargentsargent2
Anyone else so stressed they feel like nothing is going in and just going and hiding under a rock until friday afternoon?

Pretty much... :redface:

I have History on Friday too, I just want this week to be over but at the same time never want Friday to come :s-smilie: good luck! :smile:
Original post by z1ggystardust
Pretty much... :redface:

I have History on Friday too, I just want this week to be over but at the same time never want Friday to come :s-smilie: good luck! :smile:

I can't bring myself to revise hahah oh god :frown: good luck!
I can't bring myself to revise hahah oh god :frown: good luck!

yep...know the feeling, having that customary panic that I've done nowhere near enough and that whatever I do now is pointless...I need to get a grip!!

Good luck everyone, at least we won't die:/
i feel exactly the same, its so awful. Im giving up for tonight having done nothing ahhh

Good Luck all
It's finally over! How did everyone find it?
Decent enough, it was better than I thought it would be but then again I was expecting it to be terrible. Wish I had more time for the essays but there's only so much you can say in 30 mins I suppose... How about you?
Original post by z1ggystardust
Decent enough, it was better than I thought it would be but then again I was expecting it to be terrible. Wish I had more time for the essays but there's only so much you can say in 30 mins I suppose... How about you?

I didn't think it was too bad actually! Although I was dreading the Ovid and I think I made a few mistakes it wasn't as abysmal as I thought it would be. How much did you manage to write for the essays?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by candycake
I didn't think it was too bad actually! Although I was dreading the Ovid and I think I made a few mistakes it wasn't as abysmal as I thought it would be. How much did you manage to write for the essays?

I agree! Wasn't as bad as i thought thank god.. Could have done with another 5 mins to properly conclude my final essay though.
For the Livy, where is everyone learning vocab from?
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree! Wasn't as bad as i thought thank god.. Could have done with another 5 mins to properly conclude my final essay though.

Don't worry, I never have time for a conclusion. I only just scraped enough time to write about Augustus and the future of Rome - added them in in the very last five minutes! It was quite an open question and there was so much that could be included - just hope I've covered enough topics. I mainly covered Marcellus, Dido, Tartarus, the river, the entrance to Hades, Elysian Fields, Augustus and Brutus a little. I was hoping for an extract question from the first half but that section was ok - it was quite nice to be able to write a commentary for the similes.
I am so worried about the Ovid translation - it seemed so weirdly easy that I think the board will be really nitpicky about small thing. I know I made a bunch of small mistakes, like making longi agree with sono (I didn't think it could agree with Hellesponti because I didn't see how a country could be 'long') and also didn't know the vocab "infestas".

I had no idea at all how to handle "quo vectus erat" - how did everyone else translate that? The translation I found online suggests it is the donkey "which he had ridden" (which he had been carried by, so, which he rode) but I'm hoping that if everyone found that bit really tricky it won't be so terrible that I was completely stumped by it..

If anyone wants to check their work you can just google Ovid Fasti book 6 and find a translation online - so you can see how you did :smile: I found it quite reassuring to read a translation online after the exam was over, so I know I got the gist of it basically correct.

As for amount, I filled up 3 answer booklets.... I'm not sure how much that is. I think the regular answer booklets are 5 sides and the supplement ones are 4 sides, so maybe 13 pages? That includes a LOT of scribbling out though... What about y'all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending