The Student Room Group

Physics (edexcel) help!

This was on the specification:
Explain how the current in a circuit depends on the potential difference of the source
I don't get the question, or what you have to explain?
Original post by SmallTown
This was on the specification:
Explain how the current in a circuit depends on the potential difference of the source
I don't get the question, or what you have to explain?

This is regarding the Voltage in power lines, I'd assume. Increasing the voltage in powerlines decreases the current. This leads to less energy wasted as heat.
V=I*R or (isolated for I) V/R = I. So the more voltage (potential difference) you have in a circuit, the more current you will have, assuming resistance is constant.
I think thats the answer.
Reply 3
Original post by ThePCPolice
V=I*R or (isolated for I) V/R = I. So the more voltage (potential difference) you have in a circuit, the more current you will have, assuming resistance is constant.
I think thats the answer.

Thanks! :smile:
potential difference is energy per unit charge passed I believe so when you have a circuit the voltage increases to rise the charge through the components and the higher the voltage increase the faster the current and the more energy is dissipated at certain components (a resistor), so meaning the more energy transferred the higher the potential difference, the other person I think means the current instead of the charge, if you have the CGP revision guide for edexcel its on the third page of P2 i believe.

Hope this helped!
Reply 5
I have the revision guide, just didn't understand it! Thanks for explaining it, good luck on your exam (if your doing it)

Quick Reply

Latest