The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Funky_Giraffe
It's simply hydration enthalpy of Sr2+ + 2 x hydration enthalpy of F-

see that's why I'm getting confused...

sae.png

^ is the (b) part of the question... then here why do we use the provided lattice enthalpy to get this answer for (b) when we didn't use it for (a)? if we solve the same way for (b) as we did (a) we get a wrong answer.

How do you know 'when to do what?'?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by blueynuey
We know that thermodynamically stable means that the total entropy is less then 0
The entropy of system for this reaction is positive as it is going from a solid --> gas
Therefore stability must come from the entropy of surrounding being more negative then the system, which must mean that enthalpy is positive for surrounding to be negative (look at the formula).

activation energy affects kinetic stability not thermodynamic stability therefore answer can only be B.

thank you!
Original post by ayvaak
20160613_115035.jpg

I dont understand why the conc is 0.05. Could someone please help?
Thanks in advance

I got confused there too, but the examiners report said it was a simple dilution.
I guess since you have the same concentrations in the mixture, you are basically putting the 0.1 moldm-3 solutions into twice the volume that it originally was in(25cm3 --> 50cm3). Therefore all you do is 0.1/2 = 0.05moldm-3.

Sorry if it's a bit confusing :/
Original post by ihaspotato

sae.png

^ is the (b) part of the question... then here why do we use the provided lattice enthalpy to get this answer for (b) when we didn't use it for (a)? if we solve the same way for (b) as we did (a) we get a wrong answer.

for part a) you're just working out the overall enthalpy of hydration for both ions, using the data they've given

for part b) you need to use the lattice enthalpy and the data for the enthalpy of hydration to work out the enthalpy of solution. the best thing to do for this type is to draw a hess diagram and use it to find the enthalpy of the solution

hope that helped?
Could someone explain this? I put D because I thought the less the molecule interacts with the eluent, the faster it travels through. However, the answer is B. Could someone please explain? :smile:

In one type of high-performance liquid chromatography, the stationary phase is non-polar and a polar solvent is used as the eluent. Which of the following would travel through the chromatography column most quickly?
a) tetrachloromethane
b) chloromethane
c) iodomethane
d) hexane

Because the stationary phase is non polar, all the non polar compounds will interact with the stationary phase so they will take much longer to travel through the column- Hexane and tetrachloromethane are both non polar. Now with chloromethane and iodomethane, iodomethane has the greater dispersion forces so interact more with the stationary phase than chloromethane so therefore chloromethane will travel through the column the quickest.

sae.png

The questions are asking you to do two different things so you cannot solve them in the same way. You are not supposed to use all of information provided in the table at the stem of the question to answer (a), because it is simply asking you to use hydration enthalpies to calculate the enthalpy change. Part (b) is asking you to work out the lattice enthalpy. Notice how they are two different questions.
Original post by RUNSran
Because the stationary phase is non polar, all the non polar compounds will interact with the stationary phase so they will take much longer to travel through the column- Hexane and tetrachloromethane are both non polar. Now with chloromethane and iodomethane, iodomethane has the greater dispersion forces so interact more with the stationary phase than chloromethane so therefore chloromethane will travel through the column the quickest.

Ah right - so two non-polar molecules interact? I didn't know that :colondollar:
Reply 707
The pH of 3 solutions with concentration 1 moldm-3 was measured.
Solution 1 = NH3
Solution 2 = CH3COONa
Solution 3 = NH4Cl
Which of the following shows the 3 solutions in order of increasing pH?
A = 1, 2, 3
B = 3, 2, 1
C= 3, 1, 2
D = 2, 3, 1
Why is the answer B? (jan 16 ial)
I am really stuck on this one marker question, i have tried but can't seem to get the right answer. can someone please explain it. it is question 3d on multiple choice. Thanks

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Chemistry/2013/Exam%20materials/6CH04_01R_que_20130612.pdf
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 15.50.48.png

any help on this guys
The questions are asking you to do two different things so you cannot solve them in the same way. You are not supposed to use all of information provided in the table at the stem of the question to answer (a), because it is simply asking you to use hydration enthalpies to calculate the enthalpy change. Part (b) is asking you to work out the lattice enthalpy. Notice how they are two different questions.

So finding 'standard enthalpy change' by default is to find the lattice enthalpy?
Reply 711
20160613_152312.jpghelp d:
So finding 'standard enthalpy change' by default is to find the lattice enthalpy?

No - you need to look at the state symbols and how they change in the equations to work out what data to use.
Reply 713
20160613_152254.jpgand this one! Thanks in advance
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 15.50.48.png

any help on this guys

You first calculate the moles of HCl - 4x24/1000= 0.096. Since you know that in the all the ammonia in the 25 cm3 must have reacted with HCl to produce that titre the ratio is 1:1. Therefore the number of moles of ammonia in the aqueous layer must be 0.096.
You can then calculate the concentration by doing 0.096x1000/25 which is 3.84moldm-3.

Then just initial concentration minus 3.84 will give you the concentration in the trichloromethane layer
Original post by dj3k
Solution 1 = NH3
Solution 2 = CH3COONa
Solution 3 = NH4Cl
A = 1, 2, 3
B = 3, 2, 1
C= 3, 1, 2
D = 2, 3, 1

Sol. 1 has hydrogen bonding therefore hard to dissociate. (strongest)
Sol. 2 All carboxylic acid types (COOX) are weak acids
Sol. 3 ??????
Sol. 1 has hydrogen bonding therefore hard to dissociate. (strongest)
Sol. 2 All carboxylic acid types (COOX) are weak acids
Sol. 3 ??????

3 can dissociate into NH3 and HCl, and then the HCl can dissociate further to produce H+ ions and Cl- ions which are strongly acidic?
Original post by n2697
20160613_152254.jpgand this one! Thanks in advance

The answer is C?

1) cm3 > dm3

10/1000 = X

2) X/(990/1000) = Y

3) -log10(Y) = Ans

If C is the right answer....
Original post by blueynuey
We know that thermodynamically stable means that the total entropy is less then 0
The entropy of system for this reaction is positive as it is going from a solid --> gas
Therefore stability must come from the entropy of surrounding being more negative then the system, which must mean that enthalpy is positive for surrounding to be negative (look at the formula).

activation energy affects kinetic stability not thermodynamic stability therefore answer can only be B.

Dang, that's a world class explanation right there :smile:!
Original post by dj3k
Solution 1 = NH3
Solution 2 = CH3COONa
Solution 3 = NH4Cl
A = 1, 2, 3
B = 3, 2, 1
C= 3, 1, 2
D = 2, 3, 1

The salt of a weak acid and strong base is slightly basic. This is because ethanoate ions react with water CH3COO- + H2O --> CH3COOH + OH-.

The salt of a strong acid and weak base is slightly acidic. Again because the salt is hydrolysed
NH4+ + H2O --> NH3 + H3O+.

We know ammonia is a weak base so it has to have the highest pH out of the 3. Hence the answer is B

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending