The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovecake123
where was that link you put up for the grade boundaries ?

A screenshot from a quick spreadsheet I made earlier
Attached again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Ahh okay haha so I lost that one then. What were the options for the one before that? I remember one of them being "attacks a planar site" or something which isn't right for the C-Br one but yeah

options were something along the lines of
both substitution
both addition
one forms racemic mixture
one undergoes elimination
so elimination is really the only one that fits given that it was symmetrical?

Original post by C0balt
I don't think it was eliminationAFAIK in elimination there should also be a double headed arrow from one of C-H bond to form C=C

it asked what is happening in that step, not the overall mechanism, and a Br- was eliminated in that step?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by C0balt
A screenshot from a quick spreadsheet I made earlier
Attached again

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks:smile: i could find it in previous pages! too many to sift through! grade boundary predicitons for an A? 66?
I'm honestly so scared for unit 5 lol
Original post by ughexams
options were something along the lines ofboth substitutionboth additionone forms racemic mixtureone undergoes elimination so elimination is really the only one that fits given tat it was symmetrical?
it asked what is happening in that step, not the overall mechanism, and a Br- was eliminated in that step?

I thought it was an elementary step in the mechanism and elimination as a definition has to lose a small molecule and not just an ion afaik so I don't think it was right to lose bromide and say it was elimination
Though I'm now not very confident about its being racemic mixture either, I really want to see the paper now

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks:smile: i could find it in previous pages! too many to sift through! grade boundary predicitons for an A? 66?

Yeah 66-68 I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I thought it was an elementary step in the mechanism and elimination as a definition has to lose a small molecule and not just an ion afaik so I don't think it was right to lose bromide and say it was elimination
Though I'm now not very confident about its being racemic mixture either, I really want to see the paper now

Posted from TSR Mobile

random question but do you remember how many marks working out [HS-] was?
random question but do you remember how many marks working out [HS-] was?

2 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely wouldn't have described it as an elimination if it wasn't multiple choice, but given that it was, elimination was the only option that was not definitely wrong (The halogenoalkane was definitely 2-bromopropane, I originally marked racemic but changed it in my check through)
I'm honestly so scared for unit 5 lol

same so much same so so so much same
Original post by ughexams
I definitely wouldn't have described it as an elimination if it wasn't multiple choice, but given that it was, elimination was the only option that was not definitely wrong (The halogenoalkane was definitely 2-bromopropane, I originally marked racemic but changed it in my check through)

Well then good bye to one mark lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Well then good bye to one mark lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

wait why isn't it a racemic mixture?

According to that person the molecule was symmetrical?

Actually you know what even if the bromo was symmetrical it was not going to be racemic anyway, and if the carbonyl compound wasnt symmetrical (I don't think it was? Do you remember?) then it would form racemic
Original post by C0balt
According to that person the molecule was symmetrical?

I'm pretty certain it weren't? it was ch3cohccn then something like c2h5
Original post by C0balt
Actually you know what even if the bromo was symmetrical it was not going to be racemic anyway, and if the carbonyl compound wasnt symmetrical (I don't think it was? Do you remember?) then it would form racemic

exactly and the question specifically said property of one and not both?
I'm pretty certain it weren't? it was ch3cohccn then something like c2h5

Maybe then my dream for full UMS still lives 😅 meh it's over, gotta work on C3 for tomorrow lol
exactly and the question specifically said property of one and not both?

Yeah it was one
Original post by C0balt
Maybe then my dream for full UMS still lives 😅 meh it's over, gotta work on C3 for tomorrow lol

SAME! what have you got left to do- I've done every past paper and its annoying aqua maths only got harder in recent years so not all papers are representative of the real exam!
Adding up all the marks that I think I lost (probably more that I can't remember lol...) I think I got around high 60s low 70s...hopefully that will be good enough for an A...we'll see. Okay, gonna try and just forget about it now and revise some unit 5 for today. Gl peeps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending