The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS3/BUSS4 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ridazdi
Did anyone agree with the proposal?

Yes, justified through my original FOR point that the increased competition from budget airlines could be detremental in the future and had already taken a toll on the firms revenues. Although I did state I had reservations about Thea's proposed HRM plans.
Original post by ridazdi
Did anyone agree with the proposal?

15.16% I got, I'm Assuming it's correct due to the majority of people saying they got the same answer.
For the final question I said they should go with the proposal if they want to achieve Xenton's objectives of high profitability and growth, I also mentioned at the end that they might want to consider still operating as a premium airline service as well as a budget service as they are still successful and profitable in this market despite the decline in the industry. Does anyone know if you would get marks for making a recommendation like this rather than just purely going with one option?
Original post by BJO97
I saw that the 2015 figures were included and simply did not feature them as it asked whether they were successful before the appointment of Thea not if she had been successful

Good point. However, surely if you used the figures from 2015 to compare whether the marketing activities had been effective before the appointment that would be right? For example, I calculated that net profit was lower in 2014 compared to 2015 yet in 2014 they were spending more on marketing activities
Do you think that this good app?
Original post by jake_97
15.16% I got, I'm Assuming it's correct due to the majority of people saying they got the same answer.

Yes you're completely right. I got that for ARR and 3years and 0.91 months. I went ahead with the proposals solely due to the fact that Thea wanted to embrace disruptive technology and keep it at the forefront o technology suggesting that unit costs will likely decrease which were already set high compared to to industry average and hence, economies of scale can potentially be gained along with saving millions of pounds from maintenance costs and labour costs so the profit growth corporate objective will be met and hence share price will significantly surge which was already low (175p). Sorry I know this is long but this is part of what I wrote and hope I get good marks in the exam.
For question 3 was it viable to (as an argument against) state that because the share price had decreased from 200p to 175p, that the firm shouldn't go ahead with borrowing as potential investors will be less likely to want to invest, which could result in the inability to paypack the borrowed amount via equity?
Reply 446
Original post by jelsom
Do you reckon for question 2 if you spoke about how the marketing was successful as it targeted a lucrative market through differentiation you'd get marks? I wasn't sure if it related to the question seeing as it asked if it was successful not why it was sucsessful. Like I used a lot of data from the marketing table that said what the market prefers and now thinking about it am not sure if I'd get many marks for doing that

Anybody fancy answering my question?
Reply 447
'Anybody fancy answering my question?'

I think that is right, I said this but I used porters generic strategies of differentiation as that strategy in comparison to easy jet or Ryan air who adopts a cost leadership strategy thus Kings' Plc needed to one or the other to be competitive, the lucarative market was the high income earners as stated in the case study
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 448
Original post by AdamR2404
Good point. However, surely if you used the figures from 2015 to compare whether the marketing activities had been effective before the appointment that would be right? For example, I calculated that net profit was lower in 2014 compared to 2015 yet in 2014 they were spending more on marketing activities
Do you think that this good app?

I'm sure that will likely get you marks, there are several ways you can approach an answer as long as it's reasonable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 449
Original post by BJO97

I think that is right, I said this but I used porters generic strategies of differentiation as that strategy in comparison to easy jet or Ryan air who adopts a cost leadership strategy thus Kings' Plc needed to one or the other to be competitive, the lucarative market was the high income earners as stated in the case study

My hero. Thank you :smile:
Original post by BJO97

Is it true you can achieve GAn from the use of theory such as porter??
How many marks will be needed for an A, B, C ...?
Reply 452
Original post by De Re Publica
Is it true you can achieve GAn from the use of theory such as porter??

If you mean analysis then I think so, obviously I'm not an examiner but your application would be quoting the case study of them saying differentiation and then surely the analysis would be linking it to porters generic strategies
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 453
Original post by De Re Publica
How many marks will be needed for an A, B, C ...?

It was quite a difficult paper so if I had to guess:

A* - 58
A - 53
B - 46
C - 43

The grade boundaries in business tend to be very close. Somewhere around that though :smile:
Reply 454
Original post by jelsom
My hero. Thank you :smile:

Can you please answer my question now??
'For the investment question, I only worked out pay back period and the current ratio and highlighted other things from the case study, can I still get High marks even though I didn't work out Gearing or ARR?'
Reply 455
Original post by BJO97
Can you please answer my question now??
'For the investment question, I only worked out pay back period and the current ratio and highlighted other things from the case study, can I still get High marks even though I didn't work out Gearing or ARR?'

Sorry I didn't realise you asked a question. I'm not an examiner so can't really be sure. They probably wanted you to work out gearing because the question specifically related to funding the project through debt and that's the appropriate ratio. Current ratio and liquidity probably would have been relevant depending on how you used it. You definitely could still get high marks, depends on how you justified the application from the case study
Reply 456
Original post by jelsom
Sorry I didn't realise you asked a question. I'm not an examiner so can't really be sure. They probably wanted you to work out gearing because the question specifically related to funding the project through debt and that's the appropriate ratio. Current ratio and liquidity probably would have been relevant depending on how you used it. You definitely could still get high marks, depends on how you justified the application from the case study

I actually wrote the hearing answer on the question booklet but didn't include it as I didn't know whether it was right or not.. I also spoke about cash flow not sure if this would be relevant
Reply 457
How are you guys preparing for buss4? Quite nervous for the section B part.....any predictions on what might come up in section B?
Original post by Hann11
How are you guys preparing for buss4? Quite nervous for the section B part.....any predictions on what might come up in section B?

Me too... My teacher said he's certain that leadership will come up and maybe something on the economy or EU referendum. I hope leadership comes up
Predictions have been wrong in the past, so don't solely focus on what hasn't been up in a while or what is topical. In saying that, it is the last year of the spec and retrenchment and the EU are topics yet to have been assessed so it's possible that either of those could come up, but it's also possible they may not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending