The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot

Spoiler

Yep, makes sense :smile: I wont wimp about about this stuff in future :wink:
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Thanks mate I really appreciate it! :smile: So I probs got around 40-45, hopefully that'll get me a 3 at least xD

Ah no I wouldnt worry about it, sure it wasnt too bad in the end. are u doing III?
Does anyone know how much ECF (error carried forward) STEP give? For instance you get an answer which they've asked for but everything you did was 'wrong' because of a mistake at a start therefore you're answer is wrong?
Original post by EnglishMuon
Ah no I wouldnt worry about it, sure it wasnt too bad in the end. are u doing III?

Yeah definitely. I seem to do a little better in III papers so hoping for at least a 2. If my results end up being 2,3,2 I won't be too upset (I've got a Comp Sci w/Maths offer, they want a 1,2 in II and III (any order) but they said if I miss STEP I can still go, just not do the w/Maths).

How about you?
If anyone has the time give me a quick mark approximation from I and II (I didn't do great so should be that many marks to 'count' xD)
STEP I

Spoiler

STEP II

Spoiler

For Q12, assuming part (i) was showing P(Ei), (and that you wrote down P(A U B U C U D)) I think you would get about 7.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by matthewdjones
Does anyone know how much ECF (error carried forward) STEP give? For instance you get an answer which they've asked for but everything you did was 'wrong' because of a mistake at a start therefore you're answer is wrong?

From what I can tell there's lots of method marks that are independent of the actual value of the numbers used. I get the vibe that STEP is mostly about the method, I'm sure they're very lenient on errors carried forward - would be silly for someone that didn't really understand the question (so say only answered part i) but made no mistakes to get more or even an equal number of marks to someone who fully understood it all but made an simple mistake halfway through.
Original post by sweeneyrod
For Q12, assuming part (i) was showing P(Ei), (and that you wrote down P(A U B U C U D)) I think you would get about 7.

Cheers mate, about 46 isn't too awful for someone not applying for maths :biggrin:

How did you do?
Yeah definitely. I seem to do a little better in III papers so hoping for at least a 2. If my results end up being 2,3,2 I won't be too upset (I've got a Comp Sci w/Maths offer, they want a 1,2 in II and III (any order) but they said if I miss STEP I can still go, just not do the w/Maths).

How about you?

Nice! That must be a nice feeling to know theyve got u covered just incase :tongue:. Yea my offers the typical 1,1 so ill be trying to hunt that S in III just to be safe
Shoutout to everyone else doing their part in pulling the grade boundaries down so those elite super nerds can get the recognition they deserve :biggrin:
Cheers mate, about 46 isn't too awful for someone not applying for maths :biggrin:

How did you do?

Yeah, you'll breeze through NatSci maths. I think I did pretty well, hopefully in the 80s or high 70s. So now I just need a 2 in III (and to not mess up C3, C4 or physics).
Nice! That must be a nice feeling to know theyve got u covered just incase :tongue:. Yea my offers the typical 1,1 so ill be trying to hunt that S in III just to be safe

Yeah if I'm honest though it meant I didn't try as hard as I should've, plus I did not expect an offer at all (expected my highest offer to be A*AA) so before Jan I pretty much did no curriculum study, just a ton of coding etc xD I reckon I could've hit the offer personally. Woow good luck, would be incredible if you could get an S :O Although I always see you updating us on your test scores with incredible results so I have 101% faith in you :P
Yeah if I'm honest though it meant I didn't try as hard as I should've, plus I did not expect an offer at all (expected my highest offer to be A*AA) so before Jan I pretty much did no curriculum study, just a ton of coding etc xD I reckon I could've hit the offer personally. Woow good luck, would be incredible if you could get an S :O Although I always see you updating us on your test scores with incredible results so I have 101% faith in you :P

haha thanks. I think there are still people much better than me though but hopefully Itll work out :smile:
Original post by sweeneyrod
Yeah, you'll breeze through NatSci maths. I think I did pretty well, hopefully in the 80s or high 70s. So now I just need a 2 in III (and to not mess up C3, C4 or physics).

Yeah I really wish I could've done the extra maths, but I can accept I'm not good enough :biggrin: Wow that's impressive, you have to understand how insane that is. My teachers have made it clear I'm the best ever mathematician at my school and I couldn't even dream of them type of scores, must be nice knowing you're in such a high percentile! :biggrin: You'll be fine, I have faith xD Loool I messed up C2 last year just through arrogance not going to lie xD
@IrrationalRoot Quick q about 4 i on that paper if u wouldnt mind correcting me

Spoiler

Reply 1893
I did the same thing as you and I can't see how anyone can deduct a mark for that; drawing 6 sketches doesn't make it any more rigorous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
If someone can check Q6 2015 III for me
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466264958.446314.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry for drowning out ur post :wink: Ill just do the q first quickly

Spoiler

Precisely what I did. No clue why the **** they did 6 sketches. Nobs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
If someone can check Q6 2015 III for me
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466264958.446314.jpg

Seems fine. There are a lot of ways to do that first bit.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 1899
Original post by to4ka
STEP III 2015, Q5, part (ii):

Spoiler

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending