The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gemmax6x
i would have thought this is a social change vs conservative force question no???

promotes social stability- conservative force

doesn't promote it- force for change

ignore me: just asked someone and they said predominantly theory and then possibly chuck in social change

so para 1: functionalists do
point 2: marxists dont
point 3: feminists dont
point 4: sometimes causes social change rather than stability e.g. civil rights movement

also if you want to get funky you could bring in other topics and the function of religion (eg. Postmod who say function is about individualism/consumerism and even secularisation and how the functions of religion have declined as rel has dedifferentiated)
Original post by gemmax6x
i do not get globalisation at all! what do i write? what could an essay ask? what do i include and what structure is it?

if fundamentalism is a question does that mean its all about globalisation?

For globalisation you can include Nanda's Hindu nationalism and prosperity in India, fundamentalism, cultural defence (including Poland and Iran) and perhaps Huntington's clash of civilisations.

If fundamentalism is a question they will probably expect you to link it in with late modernity and postmodernity and how it's a reaction to this form of society, so not just globalisation.
Original post by ellruddy
Does anyone have an essay plan for religion and social change? I'm struggling :frown:

send me your email and I can send you my essay for it :smile:
I'm hoping the globalisation question will be focused around fundamentalism, but I have a horrible feeling that because it's come up in the past, they will make the globalisation question really vague and broad :frown:
Anyone?! Help me! Does 'spiritual shopping' mean like the pick and mix culture, greater diversity in religion and development of NAMs and NRMs?!? :frown:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
X

hey i saw your post in the morning, do you have an essay or plan for gender and ethnicity for religion, that you'd care to share with me please :h:
Original post by alimilkshake
send me your email and I can send you my essay for it :smile:

hi could u send it to me as well :smile:

my email:

[email protected]
Why does everyone want fundamentalism to come up on its own lol it's like half a page in the revision guide
Like I get that you have to link it to other aspects of the unit but it'd be awful as a stand alone 33 marker
Original post by HappyBee01
Anyone?! Help me! Does 'spiritual shopping' mean like the pick and mix culture, greater diversity in religion and development of NAMs and NRMs?!? :frown:

Yep! People cherry pick what they like the look of, and a lot of imported religions have been watered down for the self-centred Western consumer (e.g. Western Buddhism, which emphasises mindfulness and self-discovery far more than good discipline etc.)
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
Why does everyone want fundamentalism to come up on its own lol it's like half a page in the revision guide
Like I get that you have to link it to other aspects of the unit but it'd be awful as a stand alone 33 marker

exactly.
i cant thumbs you up.
Original post by chickenhips223
Order food from UBER using code: uberfood16 to get £10 off your first delivery. They don't charge for the actual delivery btw!! and there is no minimum charge.

Unfortunately we're too busy revising Sociology to eat. Food is for the weak. :angry:
Original post by EmilyPlatypus

If the question is something like "assess the view that fundamentalism is a result of globalisation" that can be easily made into a 33 marker. First of all you can discuss how globalisation has led to an increase in fundamentalism via 1. bringing faiths into closer conflict; you can bring Huntington and Inglehart here (clash of civilisations stuff) and 2. fundamentalism in the east is rising because of western values being imposed; talk about an example learned in class, terrorism, even bring in modern examples like 9/11 and paris attacks etc.

Then you can talk about what else leads to fundamentalism. That would be postmodernist society = everything is uncertain, whilst fundamental beliefs are attractive to people because they offer no room for doubt = this is why people join CNR groups etc. and you can also talk about how secularisation itself can lead to fundamentalism = decline in religious beliefs, rise in immorality etc. leads to CNR groups wishin to restore traditional views and becoming more extremist.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Yep! People cherry pick what they like the look of, and a lot of imported religions have been watered down for the self-centred Western consumer (e.g. Western Buddhism, which emphasises mindfulness and self-discovery far more than good discipline etc.)

Haha thank you so much I was having a little panic! :smile:
I'd probably briefly introduce the answer with a bit about the role of fundamentalism in today's society and say there were two ways of looking at it: the late modernist view and the postmodernist view.

I'd probably then go on to talk about Giddens, Castells and Huntington and use sociologists like Jackson and Casanova to evaluate. I would DEFINITELY make a distinction between Western and non-Western fundamentalism and their different causes. I would then mention how Western fundamentalist movements are usually unsuccessful, like the New Christian Right's Moral Majority (their demands are, as Bruce points out, impossible demands to make in a mature democracy). However, non-Western fundamentalist movements may be more successful because they often have a cause to rally round, e.g. military action in the Middle East (you could link this to Iran and the role religion played there).

I might also mention how fundamentalists use the media to recruit new members and perhaps link this in with the tele-marketing techniques used by religious groups to attract new followers.

I'd also make reference to secularisation. Religious fundamentalism may not be on the rise because religion in general is declining, but may also be on the rise because it's a reaction to secularisation and social changes.

This is great thank you !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
is it ok to abbreviate stuff when were writing, like instead of New Age and New Religious Movements can you just put NAM's and NRM's or is that really tacky
Original post by chickenhips223
Order food from UBER using code: uberfood16 to get £10 off your first delivery. They don't charge for the actual delivery btw!! and there is no minimum charge.

wow guys, is there anything Uber can't do?
Reply 2536
For globalisation you can include Nanda's Hindu nationalism and prosperity in India, fundamentalism, cultural defence (including Poland and Iran) and perhaps Huntington's clash of civilisations.

If fundamentalism is a question they will probably expect you to link it in with late modernity and postmodernity and how it's a reaction to this form of society, so not just globalisation.

I get everything in that section except for clash of civilisations. Could you explain that to me?
Original post by SamHewetson
I'm hoping the globalisation question will be focused around fundamentalism, but I have a horrible feeling that because it's come up in the past, they will make the globalisation question really vague and broad :frown:

Making it broad is a good thing, you'll have a lot more to talk about!
Original post by gsonro
is it ok to abbreviate stuff when were writing, like instead of New Age and New Religious Movements can you just put NAM's and NRM's or is that really tacky

I feel like with most essay subjects you can get away with writing it once and then putting the abbreviation in brackets after and then use the abbreviation after. Just write it first so they know what it means hahah
Original post by gsonro

Yes, you should be able to do that. If you're worried, just write New Age Movements (NAMs) and then refer to them as NAMs from that point on.

Same goes for NRMs obviously. :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending