The Student Room Group

Algebra Polynomial Help

Find (without calculus) a fifth degree polynomial p(x) such that p(x) + 1 is divisible by (x - 1)^3 and p(x) - 1 is divisible by (x + 1)^3.

In one solution I found, the following properties were used (given without proof) but I am not sure why those properties are so obvious.

1) If p(x) + 1 is divisible by (x-1)^3, then p(-x) -1 is also divisible by (x-1)^3.
2) If p(x) - 1 is divisible by (x + 1)^3 then p(-x) + 1 is also divisible by (x+1)^3.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by tangotangopapa2
Find (without calculus) a fifth degree polynomial p(x) such that p(x) + 1 is divisible by (x - 1)^3 and p(x) - 1 is divisible by (x + 1)^3.

In one solution I found, the following properties were used (given without proof) but I am not sure why those properties are so obvious.

1) If p(x) + 1 is divisible by (x-1)^3, then p(-x) -1 is also divisible by (x-1)^3.
2) If p(x) - 1 is divisible by (x + 1)^3 then p(-x) + 1 is also divisible by (x+1)^3.

Since p(x)+1=k(x1)3p(x)=k(x1)31p(x) + 1 = k(x-1)^3 \Rightarrow p(x) = k(x-1)^3 - 1 then p(x)1=k(x1)3+11=k(x+1)3p(-x) - 1 = k(-x-1)^3 + 1 -1 = -k(x+1)^3, etc...
Original post by Zacken
Since p(x)+1=k(x1)3p(x)=k(x1)31p(x) + 1 = k(x-1)^3 \Rightarrow p(x) = k(x-1)^3 - 1 then p(x)1=k(x1)3+11=k(x+1)3p(-x) - 1 = k(-x-1)^3 + 1 -1 = -k(x+1)^3, etc...

Thank you for the reply. As p(x) is a fifth degree polynomial, k should be a second degree polynomial not a constant. If you replace x by -x, k no longer remains same.

Would you mind telling me flaw(if there is) in above argument?
Reply 3
Thank you for the reply. As p(x) is a fifth degree polynomial, k should be a second degree polynomial not a constant. If you replace x by -x, k no longer remains same.

Would you mind telling me flaw(if there is) in above argument?

My argument was wrong because I failed to add correctly, but your point is incorrect. We don't care about kk, it's just a factor.

Anywho: corrected:

Since p(x)1=q(x)(x+1)3p(x) - 1 = q(x)(x+1)^3. Then p(x)1=q(x)(x+1)3=q(x)(x1)3p(-x) -1 = q(-x) (-x+1)^3 = -q(-x) (x-1)^3.

In part, sure, qq changed to q()q(-), but it's still just a floating factor and of no consequence. The end result is that p()1p(-) - 1 is made up of two factors q(x)-q(-x) and (x1)3(x-1)^3 and hence divisible by (x1)3(x-1)^3.
A shame you can't use calculus. Makes it really really easy.
Anywho, the standard writing p(x)=ax^5+ etc
Solve for you coefficients the -x makes sure when solving simultaneous eqs adding will cancel some coefficients and recall values of p(1) and p(-1) and a few others and you should be done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
A shame you can't use calculus. Makes it really really easy.
Anywho, the standard writing p(x)=ax^5+ etc
Solve for you coefficients the -x makes sure when solving simultaneous eqs adding will cancel some coefficients and recall values of p(1) and p(-1) and a few others and you should be done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is British Mathematics Olympiad question and it is asked to solve without Calculus. I am comfortable with Calculus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is British Mathematics Olympiad question and it is asked to solve without Calculus. I am comfortable with Calculus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What year?
I did all the questions from late 90s to now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
What year?
I did all the questions from late 90s to now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am sorry, I thought it was question from past. Just checked it out. It is from one of my practice books : http://www.cs.elte.hu/~nagyzoli/tematic.pdf

Question 1 from polynomial section.

Quick Reply

Latest