The Student Room Group

Will my A-level subjects be OK for a Computer Science degree?

Hello everyone,
I am really struggling on wondering what A-levels to do post GCSE. I am aspiring to do a degree in Computer Science. I have recieved my GCSE results and they are as follows:

Art - C
E lang - B
E lit - B
Add. Sci - B
Maths - B
RE - A
Comp. Sci - A

I have decided to do an A-level in Computer Science, RE and Mathematics, with a BTEC diploma in IT (which I chose over psychology). However, after a long discussion the college I applied to has decided that I wouldn't be able to do Maths A-level. Long story short, the only option I have to replace the Maths A-level is Sociology.

I'm really worried though because I know that most, if not all Unis, want maths A-level for computer science. Will the subjects that I have chosen be OK for computer science? Or will I just have to look elsewhere?

Thank you
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Most unis NEED you to have an A in A-Level Maths. So you need it basically....

Try and find a uni where they don't ask for it but majority do unfortunately
Depends on the uni, but most respectable one's will want a-level maths, and also physics.
This guy is literally miroring my position exact problem with same future degree anyone respond please
Original post by Waveyalex
This guy is literally miroring my position exact problem with same future degree anyone respond please

Two people have already responded.
Reply 6
UPDATE: OK, so I have managed to replace Sociology with Geography.

I have also spoken to my parents, and they have said that if I really wanted to, they would be happy to fund for me to spend my 3rd year doing A-level mathematics on it's own (basically private candidate). They also said that if my A-level results are very very positive, they may allow me to do a second one along with this (physics?), but I personally doubt this will be the case.

Basically, after doing research, any Uni with a ranking of roughly 40 and below will accept you without maths.

I wouldn't say that physics is an essential requirement, but it is definitely a useful one.
(edited 7 years ago)
u could also do a foundation year at uni possibly but yes, maths is essential for computer science as you will do a lot of it in the course at uni
Original post by Jor64
UPDATE: OK, so I have managed to replace Sociology with Geography.

I have also spoken to my parents, and they have said that if I really wanted to, they would be happy to fund for me to spend my 3rd year doing A-level mathematics on it's own (basically private candidate). They also said that if my A-level results are very very positive, they may allow me to do a second one along with this (physics?), but I personally doubt this will be the case.

Basically, after doing research, any Uni with a ranking of roughly 40 and below will accept you without maths.

I wouldn't say that physics is an essential requirement, but it is definitely a useful one.

Wouldn't it be better to do Physics for the first two years and Computer Science + Mathematics for the third year because your knowledge would be up to scratch? :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by JourneyToSuccess
Wouldn't it be better to do Physics for the first two years and Computer Science + Mathematics for the third year because your knowledge would be up to scratch? :h:

I can't do physics as they require both an A in maths and science, I have a B in both.
Reply 10
Original post by JourneyToSuccess

I wish I could but I can't do physics as they require both an A in maths and science, I have a B in both.

I would have to spend the whole summer gap between the 2nd and 3rd year recapping all of the topics for Maths and (if I get to do a 2nd subject) physics.
Original post by Jor64
Hello everyone,
I am really struggling on wondering what A-levels to do post GCSE. I am aspiring to do a degree in Computer Science. I have recieved my GCSE results and they are as follows:

Art - C
E lang - B
E lit - B
Add. Sci - B
Maths - B
RE - A
Comp. Sci - A

I have decided to do an A-level in Computer Science, RE and Mathematics, with a BTEC diploma in IT (which I chose over psychology). However, after a long discussion the college I applied to has decided that I wouldn't be able to do Maths A-level. Long story short, the only option I have to replace the Maths A-level is Sociology.

I'm really worried though because I know that most, if not all Unis, want maths A-level for computer science. Will the subjects that I have chosen be OK for computer science? Or will I just have to look elsewhere?

Thank you

Heya :smile: As much as it will be easier to do maths a level to get in to CS at uni, it is possible to go without (I am one of those people looking to apply without maths and found a couple unis) You're in a better position than me as your school offers computer Science as an A level and some unis will accept that as a substitute for Maths.
Reply 12
Original post by Samonia
Heya :smile: As much as it will be easier to do maths a level to get in to CS at uni, it is possible to go without (I am one of those people looking to apply without maths and found a couple unis) You're in a better position than me as your school offers computer Science as an A level and some unis will accept that as a substitute for Maths.

Thanks, I will make sure that I look out for any Universities that will accept me without maths before I start the A-level
I think that top Unis will definitely ask for Maths with a high grade too
Original post by pelaitsc45
Depends on the uni, but most respectable one's will want a-level maths, and also physics.

no universities ask for a-level physics for cs
further maths is a better choice
there are many decent universities for computer science that don't ask for A-Level maths.
examples:
nottingham
leeds
liverpool
cardiff
qmul
kcl
etc

i had a grade D in GCSE Maths at the time I started Y12. I resat GCSE Maths in Y13 and got an A. i then did A-Level Maths on a gap year and got a grade A. i got accepted into a university that asked for AAA including an A in Maths to do software engineering. [overall grades were A*ABB]

maths isn't essential but if you're wanting to go to somewhere like ucl or imperial then you need maths and perhaps even further maths. think about retaking.
You don't need Physics don't worry about that. Try and get an A Level in Maths though so many unis have this as a requirement.
Original post by Jor64
Hello everyone,

Art - C
E lang - B
E lit - B
Add. Sci - B
Maths - B
RE - A
Comp. Sci - A

Thank you

It seems like your research results aren't very accurate, the majority of unis don't actually require A level maths, only the top elite ones do, around top 20th. Some might after this, but overall the majoirty don't actually ask for it as in the real world the maths the top unis require is far to complex than what you'll actually use post graduation.

Quick Reply

Latest