The Student Room Group

Degree and careers help

Hi everyone,
I have just begun Sixth Form and my A-level subjects are English Literature, History and Economics. I have been doing a lot of research regarding degrees and potential career pathways, but it would be really helpful to hear some advice or personal experiences from people who have done my subjects (some or all) about their plans for the future or their current studies in university (or in work). Adding on, I’d greatly appreciate any degree/ career suggestions that would work with my options. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I’m not related to those subjects whatsoever (compsci). English lit and history don’t ~generally~ have the best employment prospects if you ask others, however those who pursue those degrees end up in many fields. Assuming you study one of those subjects at uni, the degree gives you a wide range of useful skills. My parents have lots of friends who do those subjects and often the job is not related to the studies, (e.g. english -> banking). or you can be a teacher/lecturer/academic. With economics you’ll probably know that you’d probably end up in finance. I don’t know how your maths skills are but economics can require lots of maths skills (e.g. at cambridge the admissions test is just maths shared with the compsci admissions test). Some unis offer the more social science side of econ, so if you don’t like maths then it should be ok
Pls take it with a grain of salt as i have literally no knowledge.
English and history degrees have better unemployment rates than computer science degrees
Reply 3
Original post by emkelt
I’m not related to those subjects whatsoever (compsci). English lit and history don’t ~generally~ have the best employment prospects if you ask others, however those who pursue those degrees end up in many fields. Assuming you study one of those subjects at uni, the degree gives you a wide range of useful skills. My parents have lots of friends who do those subjects and often the job is not related to the studies, (e.g. english -> banking). or you can be a teacher/lecturer/academic. With economics you’ll probably know that you’d probably end up in finance. I don’t know how your maths skills are but economics can require lots of maths skills (e.g. at cambridge the admissions test is just maths shared with the compsci admissions test). Some unis offer the more social science side of econ, so if you don’t like maths then it should be ok
Pls take it with a grain of salt as i have literally no knowledge.

Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest