The Student Room Group

Science subjects + a humanity for A Level?

I'm planning on doing maths, further maths, computer science and history for a level with the plan to study computer science at university, would this be a good idea?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by era77
I'm planning on doing maths, further maths, computer science and history for a level with the plan to study history at university, would this be a good idea?

Thats fine, if you want to study history at university, then you only really need history alevel
Reply 2
Original post by 3908
Thats fine, if you want to study history at university, then you only really need history alevel

I mistyped I meant I want to study computer science at university and so would history be a good idea then? My other option is biology
Reply 3
Original post by era77
I mistyped I meant I want to study computer science at university and so would history be a good idea then? My other option is biology

Thats fine also. For computer science in university, all you need is Maths
Reply 4
Original post by 3908
Thats fine also. For computer science in university, all you need is Maths

Ok thanks
Reply 5
No-one needs 4 A levels.

Unis are not 'impressed' by this - and by doing 4 you are likely to compromise all your grades.
Remember, AAA will always look better than ABBBB.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
No-one needs 4 A levels.

Unis are not 'impressed' by this - and by doing 4 you are likely to compromise all your grades.
Remember, AAA will always look better than ABBBB.

I don't want to do four but at my school you can't do further maths except as a fourth a level and for computer science it's meant to be very helpful, would you still recommend only doing three? I got 9s in all these subjects at GCSE if that's relevant.
Reply 7
Original post by era77
you can't do further maths except as a fourth a level and for computer science it's meant to be very helpful,

Doing FM is the only time that 4 A levels makes sense - and yes, its very valuable for any Maths based degree like CS.
Reply 8
Original post by era77
I don't want to do four but at my school you can't do further maths except as a fourth a level and for computer science it's meant to be very helpful, would you still recommend only doing three? I got 9s in all these subjects at GCSE if that's relevant.

hiya!
unfortunately getting nines at gcse (great achievements btw) are not that relevant at alevel. the reason being is that instead of competing against the whole of the UK for a nine in maths and having people who hate maths/ aren’t very good at it bringing the grade boundary down, you are competing against people who are good at maths at alevel. for example, to do maths/ sciences at my school you have to have gotten a grade 7 at gcse or above! this just shows why getting a good grade at alevel is significantly harder and doing 4 alevels makes it even more so!

i don’t want to put you off doing 4 alevels because for some people it pays off! However, you really must but organised and able to deal with the stress of 4. For people unsure such as yourself, my school suggested taking the four alevels and then dropping one of the workload gets too much. if you are going to drop it make sure you do so before your grades in all the subjects are impacted as you will be at a disadvantage if you prolong it!

hope that helps and good luck !!
Reply 9
Original post by amrit232
hiya!
unfortunately getting nines at gcse (great achievements btw) are not that relevant at alevel. the reason being is that instead of competing against the whole of the UK for a nine in maths and having people who hate maths/ aren’t very good at it bringing the grade boundary down, you are competing against people who are good at maths at alevel. for example, to do maths/ sciences at my school you have to have gotten a grade 7 at gcse or above! this just shows why getting a good grade at alevel is significantly harder and doing 4 alevels makes it even more so!

i don’t want to put you off doing 4 alevels because for some people it pays off! However, you really must but organised and able to deal with the stress of 4. For people unsure such as yourself, my school suggested taking the four alevels and then dropping one of the workload gets too much. if you are going to drop it make sure you do so before your grades in all the subjects are impacted as you will be at a disadvantage if you prolong it!

hope that helps and good luck !!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by era77

sorry to insert myself here. But in regards to 4 alevels, its doable but hard. Dont feel as of you need to do 4. I would recommend starting the year with 4 alevels and the moment things become hard drop one.

when i was in yr12, i started doing 4 subjects but couldn't handle it so i asked my school if i can drop one. So maybe ask your head of year if that's possible and take each day as it comes

Quick Reply

Latest