The Student Room Group

Reaction of benzene confusion

ccccccccc.jpg Hi, I am stuck on part c of this question. I have done a and b already, and found that there are 4 isomers. However, for b I get that A is 1,4-dimethylbenzene as this can only direct NO2+ to the second carbon as the 4th carbon is already bonded to a group. However, why can't A be 1,2-dimethylbenzene because this can only form 1 product as well (1,2-dimethyl-4-nitrobenzene)

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Why can't this isomer be A? This can only direct the NO2+ electrophile to carbon 4xoxoxo.png
Original post by coconut64
Why can't this isomer be A? This can only direct the NO2+ electrophile to carbon 4xoxoxo.png

As the methyl group is 2,4,6 directing, with 1,2-dimethylbenzene there is equal possibility of substitution in the 3 and 4 positions. as both are ortho to a methyl group.
Reply 3
Original post by charco
As the methyl group is 2,4,6 directing, with 1,2-dimethylbenzene there is equal possibility of substitution in the 3 and 4 positions. as both are ortho to a methyl group.

Oh okay, I think I get it now. So because
1,2-dimethylbenzene is asymmetrical, ther can be multisubstitution, whereas 1,4-dimethylbenzene is symmetrical. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest