The Student Room Group

Engineering vs. Computer Science?

Hi everyone.I'm really stuck as to whether to go with computer science and engineering. I'm interested in both but I think I'd edge towards CS, but I don't want to be stuck behind a desk all my life in a dead end job.What are the potential career prospects for doing both degrees and which do you think will be more financially beneficial?Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Lolapaloozo
Hi everyone.I'm really stuck as to whether to go with computer science and engineering. I'm interested in both but I think I'd edge towards CS, but I don't want to be stuck behind a desk all my life in a dead end job.What are the potential career prospects for doing both degrees and which do you think will be more financially beneficial?Thanks.

Coming from someone who is about to complete their fourth year in an Engineering apprenticeship and wanting to move into full time university I can advise you this, based on my experiences.

Forget the financial factor of the job, really just FORGET IT.
You have to decide how you want to live your life, in a job you find rewarding/satisfactory doing something you have an avid interest in OR live each working hour waiting for home time/the weekend. I cannot even begin to describe the nature of 95% of the individuals at my workplace (Oil Refinery), who entered the job for financial benefit alone and generally dislike the work or environment they are in. Find something YOU will enjoy doing, you spend too much of life working to have your work be something you don't feel enthused about.

I will be leaving behind a guaranteed £35,000+ job for the pursuit of my happiness in a more challenging and rewarding career higher in the Engineering hierarchy, at 21 I think this is a big deal. Obviously I have the first hand experience of working at technician level and know that I want to progress onto bigger and better challenges, but the principle that applies is I am following my mental well-being and happiness over the number in my bank account.

If you are more inclined and have experience in one subject than the other pursue that as a degree. Only you know which you prefer and alternatively attend some careers events and open days at the universities you are interested in to gauge if you will interact well with the course structure.

I hope you have the best of luck in your decision!
Original post by Lolapaloozo

CS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Computer science is defined as the broad field that encompasses but is not limited to: the study of algorithms, programming languages, computer hardware and software, networking, operating systems and architecture, and ethics surrounding the entire field. A decent computer science degree will try to include all these topics.

Engineering is the application of mathematics, science and other fields of knowledge to produce cost effective solutions to mans needs. Engineering students study more vocationally oriented things, and there is a large overlap between computer science and some specific engineering degrees.
What field of engineering do you want to study? It would also depend on what you actually want to do, no?

Mechanical engineering and aerospace or automotive are closely related.

Electrical engineering and electronics is closer to computer science overall. Chemical and process engineering have some overlap.

Industrial and production engineering are the newer forms of engineering (though they have been around for a while) and are more management and business process oriented. Financially I would not know which is better, but work experience and skills + good grades, university reputation and connections. are some determining factors.

Also please note that you will see non cs degree and non engineer degree holders working in traditionally cs and engineering degree holder positions. Work experience and skills can be developed and honed over time, so don't worry too much about this for now, focus on what you feel suits you better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
If you study Electrical/Electronic engineering and pick more electronics and programming related modules you can apply to both engineering and "CS"/developer jobs. The degree is inherently broader and far more practical. It will boil down to your own personal skills and interests, as to how financially beneficial your job will be.

Nah, electrical and electronic engineering
You can still do programming jobs but you can also do some engineering work. Opens up more opps
Original post by ahpadt
If you study Electrical/Electronic engineering and pick more electronics and programming related modules you can apply to both engineering and "CS"/developer jobs. The degree is inherently broader and far more practical. It will boil down to your own personal skills and interests, as to how financially beneficial your job will be.

^My man knows what he's talking about.
At Uni of Bristol we offer a course called Engineering Mathematics which I think might interest you, it uses mathematical and computational techniques to find solutions to real engineering problems. It has much more of a theoretical/computational base than traditional engineering, so if you're stuck between CS and engineering it could be an interesting choice to consider.
Im stuck on this too...
As a computer science student at University of Nottingham I'll say it heavily depends on your background because most universities say they'll prepare you but from my experience as someone with more of an engineering background they do little to prepare you and throw you straight into the deep end. No matter which you choose you can still get into computing jobs regardless of your degree. If you look at jobs they'll mostly want a STEM degree from a top tier uni. I will say though, whatever degree you choose, make sure to talk to other students about it plus look at both the pros and cons of the respective industries especially when it comes to health

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending