The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How is Durham University?

I'm applying from South London and I'm Indian/Iranian.

How diverse is Durham, and is it too posh?

As an example (of course I'm not basing my application on this), I listen to popular R&B music/what a south Londoner like me would listen to- if I went to Durham, would the nightlife be hard for me to enjoy???

Most importantly, will I fit in?
Hi, I like to think I'm quite similar to you and I was worried about the same thing with Durham.

However, I went to the open day and can say that it will not be a problem. The colleges are so different, some are very laid back and not traditional (and sport orientated).

The nightlife is not great but I guess it is what you make of it. However, you are only a short train journey from Newcastle, arguably the UK's best nightlife. I know people travel in groups over there on a night from Durham.

Durham is probably the nicest city I've been to in the UK and looks awesome to study in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by sammygmfc
Hi, I like to think I'm quite similar to you and I was worried about the same thing with Durham.

However, I went to the open day and can say that it will not be a problem. The colleges are so different, some are very laid back and not traditional (and sport orientated).

The nightlife is not great but I guess it is what you make of it. However, you are only a short train journey from Newcastle, arguably the UK's best nightlife. I know people travel in groups over there on a night from Durham.

Yeah, I heard the same about Newcastle too.

I think I'm mostly just worried because I've read a few things on the some students at Durham- apparently there's these 'rahs' (who just sound like total snobs imo).

I think I'm worried I won't make close friends who can relate to my London-culture.
(if that even makes sense lol)
Original post by IRoranth
Yeah, I heard the same about Newcastle too.

I think I'm mostly just worried because I've read a few things on the some students at Durham- apparently there's these 'rahs' (who just sound like total snobs imo).

I think I'm worried I won't make close friends who can relate to my London-culture.
(if that even makes sense lol)

Yeah I've heard of them. Not keen myself either. What I can say is that shouldn't be a reason for you to not wanting to go. I'm sure there will be plenty of people like you also which I guess is more important.

Durham certainly gets a recommendation from me.
Reply 4
Yeah I've heard of them. Not keen myself either. What I can say is that shouldn't be a reason for you to not wanting to go. I'm sure there will be plenty of people like you also which I guess is more important.

Durham certainly gets a recommendation from me.

Are you applying for Durham this year?
If so, what for? =D
Are you applying for Durham this year?
If so, what for? =D

Yes I am and I'd absolutely love to go there. Hoping to study Maths :biggrin:

How about you?
Reply 6
Yes I am and I'd absolutely love to go there. Hoping to study Maths :biggrin:

How about you?

International Relations for me!

Where else are you thinking of?

I've got down Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham and Leeds.
International Relations for me!

Where else are you thinking of?

I've got down Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham and Leeds.

Very nice. I am applying to Durham, Newcastle, Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester/York.

Good luck!
Hi I feel exactly the same, I was just wondering do you go Durham now and how is the night life and how do you cope with the music as I assume it's not RnB. I'm really stuck as I love clubbing and don't want to feel bored or limited
Reply 9
Original post by Artsandcrafts
Hi I feel exactly the same, I was just wondering do you go Durham now and how is the night life and how do you cope with the music as I assume it's not RnB. I'm really stuck as I love clubbing and don't want to feel bored or limited

Hey!

I'm afraid I can't really comment on the nightlife/university life at Durham because 1). I didn't end up putting it down on my UCAS, 2). I've never visited!

I've firmed The University of Warwick instead! :biggrin:

Good luck to you, I hope your question is answered in a different thread :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest