The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester University

My application for manchester business school has been pushed to the next application deadline. Should I be worried or can anyone shed some light on what are my chances? Also, can I ask them for a earlier response? because my durham deadline is coming closer. Like, can we do that? express the urgency of a response?
Original post by Anonymous
My application for manchester business school has been pushed to the next application deadline. Should I be worried or can anyone shed some light on what are my chances? Also, can I ask them for a earlier response? because my durham deadline is coming closer. Like, can we do that? express the urgency of a response?

When did you apply?
UCAS usually say universities should have replied with their offers by 18th May if you applied by the usual January deadline. :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Hey! I didn't apply through UCAS. I applied through the website of university on 18th Jan. For my course, it runs on a staged admission process so my application got pushed to the next round which the response date is 25th May. and my Durham deadline is 17th May (with an extension). maybe ill ask for another extension.
Original post by 04MR17
When did you apply?
UCAS usually say universities should have replied with their offers by 18th May if you applied by the usual January deadline. :smile:
Hey! I didn't apply through UCAS. I applied through the website of university on 18th Jan. For my course, it runs on a staged admission process so my application got pushed to the next round which the response date is 25th May. and my Durham deadline is 17th May (with an extension). maybe ill ask for another extension.
I'm confused about how you have written this. "my Durham deadline" sounds like it's a deadline for you to do something, when I thought it was Durham's deadline to reply to your offer. I am also confused about why you would ask for an extension when it's them that need to make the decision? Am I missing something here?
Reply 4
Hey! Sorry maybe i miswrote it. I already have an offer from Durham and my deposit deadline is 17th May. 17th May is the extended date because I knew Manchester would take time so I had asked Durham for an extension. Earlier, manchester got back to me by 6th April saying my application has been pushed to the next admissions round and the date to get a decision is now 25th may. This exceeds my durham deadline which is 17th may, and I may ask for another extension. I feel a little confused and hence I put a question on this platform. Both are business school programmes I have applied to.
Hey! Sorry maybe i miswrote it. I already have an offer from Durham and my deposit deadline is 17th May. 17th May is the extended date because I knew Manchester would take time so I had asked Durham for an extension. Earlier, manchester got back to me by 6th April saying my application has been pushed to the next admissions round and the date to get a decision is now 25th may. This exceeds my durham deadline which is 17th may, and I may ask for another extension. I feel a little confused and hence I put a question on this platform. Both are business school programmes I have applied to.

Ah your deposit deadline, that makes more sense now - thank you.

If you haven't heard by the end of this week, I would ring Manchester up, ask them to make a decision about your offer by 15th May because you have an offer for another course. If they want you, they'll offer it to you. Otherwise, you were waiting on a rejection anyway.

Best of luck
Reply 6
Oh okay. I thought of asking them to send a decision earlier than the date too, but I didn't know if it's advisable to tell a university that you have an offer from another and hence you want a response earlier. So you suggest I do this? Also, I'm also on the waitlist for Imperial. Between Durham, Manchester and Imperial would you have an insight to provide? I'm aware of the rankings and how they can be misleading as well. But I would appreciate someone's input into which is advisable to choose say I receive an offer from imperial and manchester. Any suggestions?
Original post by 04MR17
Ah your deposit deadline, that makes more sense now - thank you.

If you haven't heard by the end of this week, I would ring Manchester up, ask them to make a decision about your offer by 15th May because you have an offer for another course. If they want you, they'll offer it to you. Otherwise, you were waiting on a rejection anyway.

Best of luck
Oh okay. I thought of asking them to send a decision earlier than the date too, but I didn't know if it's advisable to tell a university that you have an offer from another and hence you want a response earlier. So you suggest I do this? Also, I'm also on the waitlist for Imperial. Between Durham, Manchester and Imperial would you have an insight to provide? I'm aware of the rankings and how they can be misleading as well. But I would appreciate someone's input into which is advisable to choose say I receive an offer from imperial and manchester. Any suggestions?

I'm actually baffled that out of those 3, Durham is the first one to reply to you (they are famous for taking their time).

I don't think I should advise on hypothetic scenarios. I think you should ring Manchester and Imperial up if you haven't heard from them, and ask them plainly whether or not they are going to offer you a place on the course. Explain that you have a deadline to meet from another university and you need confirmation by 15th May whether or not you will be offered a place there.
Reply 8
Maybe it is because Manchester for my course works on a staged admissions process and I'm waitlisted for Imperial. Anyway, I'm extremely happy with Durham too, and it actually ticks all the boxes for what I'm looking for in a university. I'm only waiting for manchester and Imperial because of it's reputation and the edge it might give me. Thank you so much for your time and advise!
Original post by 04MR17
I'm actually baffled that out of those 3, Durham is the first one to reply to you (they are famous for taking their time).

I don't think I should advise on hypothetic scenarios. I think you should ring Manchester and Imperial up if you haven't heard from them, and ask them plainly whether or not they are going to offer you a place on the course. Explain that you have a deadline to meet from another university and you need confirmation by 15th May whether or not you will be offered a place there.
Maybe it is because Manchester for my course works on a staged admissions process and I'm waitlisted for Imperial. Anyway, I'm extremely happy with Durham too, and it actually ticks all the boxes for what I'm looking for in a university. I'm only waiting for manchester and Imperial because of it's reputation and the edge it might give me. Thank you so much for your time and advise!

If you're waitlisted for Imperial that pretty much discounts that option.

My advice is unchanged.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending