The Student Room Group

UCL or Warwick University for Computer Science

Hi, I'm currently in Year 13, I've got offers from UCL, Warwick, Durham and Manchester to study Computer Science. I'm having trouble deciding what to firm and what to insure.

UCL: A*AB
Warwick: AAA
Durham: AAB
Manchester: A*A*A*

I've only visited Warwick in depth, UCL I've only seen around the campus but not the CS department itself so I have no clue how good it is. For Manchester and Durham I've never stepped foot in and I doubt I'll get the opportunity to but I've been put off these two universities due to:

- Manchester being A*A*A* for CS whilst having such low requirements for most other subjects they offer
- Durham seemingly matching the preconseptions about there being a vibe of little diversity and lots of alcholism (not personally a fan of that)

Warwick's campus looks quite nice and I enjoyed the vibe of the 'oxford street' like area in coventy. The campus seems clean and spacious and has a friendly atmosphere.

However, UCL has such a great reputation that it feels wrong to turn it down. I'm not sure how UCL would feel like in comparision to Warwick and I don't want to make the wrong decision. I'm unsure if UCL will host an open day for the CS department to visit too. Also note that I currently live in London already so I've been here for ages and I don't necessarily know if I want to keep the busy lifestyle feel.

Is there any information one could provide me with?
Thanks in advance.
Original post by AimPerfectly
Hi, I'm currently in Year 13, I've got offers from UCL, Warwick, Durham and Manchester to study Computer Science. I'm having trouble deciding what to firm and what to insure.

I've only visited Warwick in depth, UCL I've only seen around the campus but not the CS department itself so I have no clue how good it is. For Manchester and Durham I've never stepped foot in and I doubt I'll get the opportunity to but I've been put off these two universities due to:

- Manchester being A*A*A* for CS whilst having such low requirements for most other subjects they offer
- Durham seemingly matching the preconseptions about there being a vibe of little diversity and lots of alcholism (not personally a fan of that)

Warwick's campus looks quite nice and I enjoyed the vibe of the 'oxford street' like area in coventy. The campus seems clean and spacious and has a friendly atmosphere.

However, UCL has such a great reputation that it feels wrong to turn it down. I'm not sure how UCL would feel like in comparision to Warwick and I don't want to make the wrong decision. I'm unsure if UCL will host an open day for the CS department to visit too. Also note that I currently live in London already so I've been here for ages and I don't necessarily know if I want to keep the busy lifestyle feel.

Thanks in advance.

Why are you going to university? To study Computer Science, right? Yet you've mentioned nothing about the Computer Science course offered by either Warwick or UCL.

It seems highly unlikely that they'll have an identical set of mandatory modules, and an identical set of optional modules to choose from, with an identical method of delivering the course (lectures, tutorials, projects, practicals, etc.) and an identical way of assessing your knowledge (exams, coursework, presentations, etc.).

More likely, one course will appeal to you more than the other. Which one and why?
Reply 2
Original post by AimPerfectly

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Manchester. It is an incredibly competitive and difficult university to get into, with ludicrous entry requirements for a mediocre CS course. It has potentially more competition than Oxbridge, on the basis of having higher entry requirements. Most likely, that is because of students living in Manchester primarily applying to that university (since Manchester is a massive place, lots of students living in Manchester apply). So, unless you live in Manchester, I wouldn't recommend firming or insuring that, unless there's a specific reason to go there.

The best university out of the three for CS is clearly UCL. That is the best out of the three remaining choices. So, I would firm that and snatch that if you received and meet the offer. UCL are one of the best universities in the country for several areas of CS, so if you're interested in further study, that would be ideal as well.

So, as your insurance, you could pick either Warwick or Durham. Given that you feel better about Warwick, I would consider Warwick. However, I would also consider making Durham your insurance instead, as it has an offer rate of AAB, which is much lower than Warwick's AAA. Chances are, if you don't meet A*AB for UCL, you probably wouldn't meet AAA for Warwick either. Therefore, on the basis of being safe, I would recommend UCL as firm and Durham as Insurance, unless you are confident you will obtain AAA.

The course from Warwick and Durham are both pretty standard and nothing special for a CS course. So, either one is best. Personally, I would go for Durham insurance just in case you don't get AAA, but if you are confident that you will get it, then you should go Warwick as your insurance.

In conclusion, I cannot tell you which course based on the factors like campus and student life. But I can tell you based on which CS course content is better, that UCL > Warwick = Durham > Manchester.
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending