The Student Room Group

Training to become a lawyer with a degree in politics a few years after Uni?

HelloSo I finished uni in 2014 with a first class degree in politics, and I currently work in the charity sector in corporate partnerships, which I enjoy but long-term I am thinking what I really want to do.I'm just writing to ask about the viability of beginning training to become a lawyer or solicitor in the UK, and the path which i'd have to take and at what point I apply to firms, whether this be after doing the GDL or before?As I didn't do a degree in law, i'm aware I would have to take a conversion course route but with working full time, it's hard to gauge the overall cost and time i'd need to dedicate to complete the various stages of this and so i'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to whether it's too late or if they have taken this route themselves.Many thanks in advance!
Original post by mc_graw3141
HelloSo I finished uni in 2014 with a first class degree in politics, and I currently work in the charity sector in corporate partnerships, which I enjoy but long-term I am thinking what I really want to do.I'm just writing to ask about the viability of beginning training to become a lawyer or solicitor in the UK, and the path which i'd have to take and at what point I apply to firms, whether this be after doing the GDL or before?As I didn't do a degree in law, i'm aware I would have to take a conversion course route but with working full time, it's hard to gauge the overall cost and time i'd need to dedicate to complete the various stages of this and so i'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to whether it's too late or if they have taken this route themselves.Many thanks in advance!

It's not too late. I would recommend trying to get on to a law firm's vacation scheme programme prior to applying for the GDL. If you can get one of the big firms to offer you a TC, they will pay for you to complete the GDL and LPC.

Most law firms' vacation scheme applications are now open or beginning to open. I would recommend doing a few applications.

This is assuming that you are serious about law and are of the mind to go through the application process, which can be grueling for the unprepared.
Reply 2
Thanks for this - I hadn't really considered the vacation scheme option as I thought it more for undergrads, but I guess it'd be helpful given otherwise my legal experience may be somewhat absent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending