The Student Room Group

do u need a law degree for top law firms?

if i were to take an undergraduate degree that isn't law, for example politics or history, could i do my masters in law? will top law firms still consider me?
yes, but you gotta do a conversion course i think. My Law mentor who worked in a law firm did a physics degree but after did a conversion course. so basically yes u dont even need a maseters in law, a history degree then a conversion course is all u need.
Reply 2
Original post by intheimageofGOD
yes, but you gotta do a conversion course i think. My Law mentor who worked in a law firm did a physics degree but after did a conversion course. so basically yes u dont even need a maseters in law, a history degree then a conversion course is all u need.

do you know how long a conversion course would take? and how much would it cost?
A conversion course is typically around a year and costs are around the same as other courses at the uni for a year so up to £9250 if I'm remembering right.
Original post by Silverwolf16
A conversion course is typically around a year and costs are around the same as other courses at the uni for a year so up to £9250 if I'm remembering right.

Firms will pay for it
Reply 5
Original post by lara8010
if i were to take an undergraduate degree that isn't law, for example politics or history, could i do my masters in law? will top law firms still consider me?

They will of course still consider you. History is the most popular route to becoming a lawyer (aside from a law degree). You would need to gain legal work experience during your studies to prove your genuine interest in law tho. As for a masters, some unis offer variations of LLMs which allow you to study without a law degree but most require a law degree. You can always do an LLM after you do a conversion (GDL).

If you study history & politics you would have to enrol on a GDL/PGDL which is a year long and you essentially cover a law degree in one year. Not sure about costs but you can get scholarships or firms sometimes fund your studies. I don’t think a GDL/PGDL is mandatory for those becoming a solicitor anymore like it used to be but it is heavily advised. They have changed the path to becoming a solicitor, before you would do a GDL and then the LPC (1 year course which qualifies you as a solicitor) that was changed so now it is recommended that you do the GDL (I don’t think you have to anymore) but then sit the SQE which qualifies you as a solicitor and that’s a two part assessment. If you would like to be a barrister, you have to do the GDL and then you sit a one year course which qualifies you as a barrister - the BPTC.
I’m considering doing law but a PPE degree seems more appealing to me - is this an ok degree to do a GDL after and get into law firms (if I decide to go into that career)?
Original post by helpmeimstucc
I’m considering doing law but a PPE degree seems more appealing to me - is this an ok degree to do a GDL after and get into law firms (if I decide to go into that career)?

Yes. Study the degree subject which most interests you and in which you can do well. Do a GDL thereafter.

(Me: degree in history, diploma in law, barrister. My colleagues: degrees in law, English, classics, French, physics, PPE, etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending