The Student Room Group

How long until I get A/B's on c1 past papers?

I went over the content and made concise notes by using examsolutions. I finished C1 yesterday and also did my first past paper yesterday and got a D :frown:

I didn't get the questions which asked "prove" something and Im stuggling with sequences/sigma questions :/
(I get most of the sequences/sigma questions but the one that came up on the test was f*cking HARD!!)

Should I make the questions which I got wrong into flashcards? So i can learn how to answer the question properly, incase it comes up again?

Do you have any advice? Thanks in advanced!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just practice.

Exams hardly change their way of Asking questions so once you get into the rhythm, you will understand the key words they want. What exam board are you doing?
Original post by Bulletzone
Just practice.

Exams hardly change their way of Asking questions so once you get into the rhythm, you will understand the key words they want. What exam board are you doing?

Im doing edexcel
Original post by shohaib712
Im doing edexcel

Aye, Alright lemme try my best to help you with what I can.
There are 2 ways I would advise you to approach this.

First approach:
-Do a Past paper, doesn't have to be under-timed conditions, Just do it.
-Mark past paper.
-Look at where you went wrong and Write what topic it falls under.
Whichever category you went wrong in, Watch the Edexcel Math Videos for C1 thoroughly about your weak topic.
-Answer the summary questions that appear at the end of the Video section.
Whichever category you got wrong, you need to practice a lot of exam questions. From the list below, click the Topic which the answer you got wrong relates to and Answer from them. (sourced from physics&mathstutors.com)

For Edexcel, Set 1

For Edexcel, Set 2

Once you have done, Smile because you have thoroughly covered the topic. If you make the same mistake again, do the same but possibly questions from a different Exam board.

Note: You have started slightly early for your revision which is good, but if you're revising in large chunks, you may feel worn out before exam season even starts. Make sure you take sufficient breaks and set realistic time periods.

The second approach is similar to the first one, however you do the questions first before the exam paper. It's not the best as the exam paper points out your weaker areas.

First approach:
-Mark past paper.
Whichever category you went wrong in, Watch the Edexcel Math Videos for C1 thoroughly about your weak topic.
Whichever category you got wrong, you need to practice a lot of exam questions. From the list below, click the Topic which the answer you got wrong relates to and Answer from them. (sourced from physics&mathstutors.com)

For Edexcel, Set 1

For Edexcel, Set 2

Once you have done, Smile because you have thoroughly covered the topic. If you make the same mistake again, do the same but possibly questions from a different Exam board.

Note: You have started slightly early for your revision which is good, but if you're revising in large chunks, you may feel worn out before exam season even starts. Make sure you take sufficient breaks and set realistic time periods.

The second approach is similar to the first one, however you do the questions first before the exam paper. It's not the best as the exam paper points out your weaker areas.

Thanks man! Sorry for not replying sooner!
I will definitely try this out on Friday!

I'm sort of craming up s1 + c1 (i finished c1 notes in a day). Im doing the same with S1 now because I have my mock tomorrow :/ I did my c1 mock today. I will do this method today with s1 and try to cover a few of my weakest points.

Do you have any tips for subjects like chemistry (sooo hard) or biology?
Thanks man! Sorry for not replying sooner!
I will definitely try this out on Friday!

I'm sort of craming up s1 + c1 (i finished c1 notes in a day). Im doing the same with S1 now because I have my mock tomorrow :/ I did my c1 mock today. I will do this method today with s1 and try to cover a few of my weakest points.

Do you have any tips for subjects like chemistry (sooo hard) or biology?

I'll leave some tips tomorrow for both subjects. Leaving them tomorrow as I don't do Biology and I know someone who does, so I shall ask them. Alternatively if anyone comes across this thread prior tomorrow,they can leave some Tips. :smile:

First approach:
-Mark past paper.

For Edexcel, Set 1

For Edexcel, Set 2

Are the edexcel questions from past papers?:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
Are the edexcel questions from past papers?:smile:

Yes they are :smile:

As in from ALL the past papers?x:smile:

Thanks man! I did my S1 mock today and I revised the way you told me (do a pp, focus on topic questions im strugling with etc...) and I found the paper really, probably cuz the questions where the same just slightly different :biggrin:
Thanks man! I did my S1 mock today and I revised the way you told me (do a pp, focus on topic questions im strugling with etc...) and I found the paper really, probably cuz the questions where the same just slightly different :biggrin:

I'm about to tear up :smile:
Sooo happy my advice helped you and I wish you the best of luck. :clap2:
As in from ALL the past papers?x:smile:

I would say yes.
Some of the pages are 17 pages long, so Credits to the actual owner of the website. I just brought all the information onto one post :smile:
(I'm just following this post so I can get advice for biology too aha)
Am I the only one finding it really difficult? There's so much content!
And I clearly am not as perserverant as you, because I dropped maths a few weeks back :/ but well done for how you feel about your S1 test!
Reply 13
Try and simplify fully on the core maths papers even if it does not specify and show all your working out - you can lose easy marks there
Honestly, you might only get your A when you get to the real exam. As long as you practice over time, progress will come.
When it comes to maths, normally it's just extra logic to answer prove questions
I would say yes.
Some of the pages are 17 pages long, so Credits to the actual owner of the website. I just brought all the information onto one post :smile:

Thank you SO much!x:biggrin: I have my C1 mock in a week!!!:redface:
Thank you SO much!x:biggrin: I have my C1 mock in a week!!!:redface:

I wish you the best of luck :smile:
I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Thank you!x:biggrin:
Chemistry Tips:
:hi:
I am one of probably many students who have not covered the whole Chemistry course, so I shall leave tips on revision tips if you have finished the AS Chem and if you have not.

Technique for once you have not finished the Course:

1)Get all your notes together and make a list of what you have done.
2)Open up the Appropriate Specification and for the List of things you have done read what the Specification point says and Ask yourself whether you can do it or not.

Edexcel Specification:

Spoiler

AQA Specification:

Spoiler

OCR Specification:

Spoiler

3) As you're reading the specification points related to the topic you have done, You're going to leave either a Red Mark, Blue Mark or Black Mark. (They don't have to be these colours, it can be shapes or anything).
If you're feeling very comfortable with the topic, Leave a Blue mark.
If you're feeling Ok with the topic, Leave a Black Mark.
If you're feeling very Weak with the topic, Leave a Red mark.

If you're unsure on your status with the topic check the spoiler below.

Spoiler

4)Starting from the Red mark, to the Blue then to the black (Yes going over what you're comfortable with is essential), Watch a Video; Go over your notes or whatever is best for you here. Use the material to go through the topic. If you're watching videos and you're asked questions, Stop and think about the answer.

Revision Sources:

Spoiler

5)Once you have gone over and have developed a deeper understanding of the topic, Answer half of the questions under the category you have revised. The reason I have said half is because, if you have not understood something, you can go back over the videos and notes and then make corrections before proceeding to finish the questions.
If you require any specific board linked below then please feel free to ask. They are all located at this site, I'm just bringing all material to one place to make it easier for y'all :tongue:

Chemistry Questions AQA:
Physical Chemistry:

Spoiler

Organic Chemistry:

Spoiler

Inorganic Chemistry:

Spoiler

6)Done the Topic? Make a few brief flashcards (limit to 5) and list key points or Questions and Answers. These can be used in future to remind you of the topic. If you made any notes related to the topic, Put the notes and the flashcards all in one sleeve so that revision for the real exams will be easier than ever :biggrin:

Technique for once you have not finished the Course:
To save me the pain of typing, It is pretty much the same as the first one, however:
You first do a past paper and use that to point out your weaker areas.

Hope this helps anyone!
If you reach a point where you're genuinely stuck then Please talk to someone about it.

Wish you all the best in your Mocks! :biggrin:

Sources: Physics&mathstutors.com and .a-levelchemistry.co.uk/
(edited 7 years ago)
Quoting people who have posted on this thread for Chem tips:

@Nere
@the_malis
@chloecrazy You'll have to give me time for Biology as I don't do it and I'm relying on others. :redface:
@shohaib712

Quick Reply

Latest