The Student Room Group

Can I teach both physics and maths with doing just one degree

So I'm only in year 12, studying ICT, Maths & Physics all at A-Level. I want to go on to teach physics AND maths at high school when I'm older as these two subjects really interest me. Is there a degree that will allow me to teach both at GCSE level?
Original post by oethan
So I'm only in year 12, studying ICT, Maths & Physics all at A-Level. I want to go on to teach physics AND maths at high school when I'm older as these two subjects really interest me. Is there a degree that will allow me to teach both at GCSE level?

The head of maths at my college has a degree in Physics and is now teaching A level maths because he wanted a change from physics for a while xD
Reply 2
Original post by wightsnowolf
The head of maths at my college has a degree in Physics and is now teaching A level maths because he wanted a change from physics for a while xD

Thank you - I thought it was possible the only reason I don't want to be a strict maths based teacher is because physics is just as fun and there's so many scenarios you can apply the problems too! I think it's the application side of physics that I love.
Original post by oethan
Thank you - I thought it was possible the only reason I don't want to be a strict maths based teacher is because physics is just as fun and there's so many scenarios you can apply the problems too! I think it's the application side of physics that I love.

To be honest a nice balance of maths and physics that might work for you could be teaching A level physics. There's a decent amount of maths in the A2 specification now.

I think that if you want to possibly teach physics then I'd definitely go for a physics degree myself, since it's a lot easier to teach maths with a physics degree than physics with a maths degree.

Have you considered doing a joint honours such as Maths and Physics together?
Reply 4
I think you'd have to do Physics rather than maths... even though uni maths is very different from physics you would easily be able to teach A-level maths
Reply 5
Original post by wightsnowolf
To be honest a nice balance of maths and physics that might work for you could be teaching A level physics. There's a decent amount of maths in the A2 specification now.

I think that if you want to possibly teach physics then I'd definitely go for a physics degree myself, since it's a lot easier to teach maths with a physics degree than physics with a maths degree.

Have you considered doing a joint honours such as Maths and Physics together?

I was reading about it a few days ago actually and I'm still not sure though, I have a year to decide still. The only problem is with physics, most schools you'll have to teach Chemistry and Biology - I only got Bs at GCSE in these two subjects and didn't continue with them for A-Level. That's why I'm thinking maths is a better path to take. Thank you for your time <3
Reply 6
Original post by oethan

Theoretical Physics, Maths with/and Physics (joint honour course). You can also do a normal Maths degree, and choose all the Physics optional modules (this is what I'm doing, although I'm not interested in being a teacher).

Quick Reply

Latest