The Student Room Group

I’m currently at the stage to choose my a-levels but I’m worried…

I’ve finished my first set of mocks and got 9s in 7 of my 10 subjects. I take art, geo, computing, phys, chem, bio, maths, english lang and lit, RS, further maths level 2.
The problem is, is that I was considering a law degree or even PPE and tbh I was open to anything and I thought I would know now I’m in this position. But I don’t.
I flopped english and computing slightly and now I’m really unsure abt law which has been my main subject of interest due to my english scores.
I’ve always been good at sciences and been interested in them but never really medicine; however, I don’t mind doing a single science mainly physics or chemistry or computing. But these days I’m wondering about it being a possibility.

My main problem is further maths a level, I’m smart in maths but not in the extent to do FSMQ where geniuses r. I’m good but not good but with effort I am. Everyone I’ve met who does further tell me never to do it if u don’t like maths.
What should I do?
The subjects I’m considering are Maths, Physics, Chem, Eco (not sure but in case PPE or other)
Also I’m aiming for London unis, then is further maths really favoured a lot for physics degree?
And do you think chemistry/physics is a good degree and what careers/jobs could I go from it and do they actually pay well in the long run?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Bumikaa
I’ve finished my first set of mocks and got 9s in 7 of my 10 subjects. I take art, geo, computing, phys, chem, bio, maths, english, RS, further maths level 2.
The problem is, is that I was considering a law degree or even PPE and tbh I was open to anything and I thought I would know now I’m in this position. But I don’t.
I flopped english and computing slightly and now I’m really unsure abt law which has been my main subject of interest.
I’ve always been good at sciences and been interested in them but never really medicine; however, I don’t mind doing a single science mainly physics or chemistry or computing.

My main problem is further maths a level, I’m smart in maths but not in the extent to do FSMQ where geniuses r. I’m good but not good but with effort I am. Everyone I’ve met who does further tell me never to do it if u don’t like a maths.
What should I do?
The subjects I’m considering are Maths, Physics, Chem, Eco (not sure but in case PPE or other)
Also if I’m for London unis, then is further maths really favoured a lot for physics degree?
And do you think chemistry/physics is a good degree and what careers/jobs could I go from it?

Everyone I’ve met who does further tell me never to do it if u don’t like a maths.What should I do?
As someone who is doing FM, I can vouch for this. It's not an easy A Level, and it builds on Maths. Typically, the A Level is highly preferred if you intend to apply for quantitiative degrees at top end unis e.g. economics, physics, computer science, engineering.

PPE and law degrees accept A Levels in any subject generally. Some PPE might ask for maths due to the econmics component, but even then you won't need eco.
Maths, physics, and chem would open you to a large number of degrees across the board. Maths in particular is one of the most widely required subjects out there.
With Chem, you can still go into medicine at some unis (19 or so unis in the country) if you still want to, even though you didn't do biology.

Also if I’m for London unis, then is further maths really favoured a lot for physics degree?
Ususally at top end unis. Whilst London has a few top end unis, not all of them are.

And do you think chemistry/physics is a good degree and what careers/jobs could I go from it?
Directly, they are typically asked for by a number of STEM graduate positions. Chemistry would allow you to go into science roles in both life sciences and physical sciences/engineering.
If you want to go into engineering, physics is a better fit since you don't get as much maths in chemistry.
If you want to go into a quantitative role in finance (there are nonquantitative front office roles in finance as well), quantitiative degrees like physics, engineering, and maths tend to be preferred (whilst not strictly a requirement). For specific roles like actuary, you would need at least A Level Maths in order to get in.
Whilst you don't strictly need a degree in computer science to get into tech/data science, they sometimes prefer graduates with quantitative degrees (because they teach programming in them) for grad schemes e.g. physics, computer science, maths, engineering.
And of course, with a degree in any subject, you can get into teaching so long you jump through a few hoops.

For other roles outside of STEM, it's pretty much any role that accept degrees in any subject. There are roughly 600/800 different roles that fit this category, so it's going to take a while to go through all of them. General gist of it is:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

Most areas of business (HR, marketing, accounting, sales)

IT roles

Some areas of construction

Most areas of property

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if you're good)

Theatre and film (if you're good)

Music (if you're good)

Anything related to writing (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Some environmental services

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Management (if you have the relevant experience)

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Entertainment (if you're good)

Translation (if you are fluent in more than one language)

If you decide to go back to college (adult college), then you can do courses that are relevant to the following:

Animal care (other than vet)

Some areas of construction and certain trades

Some areas of beauty and wellbeing

Some areas of engineering

You can go into the following areas with specific professional qualifications (irrespective of what previous qualifications you have):

Accounting

Actuary (if you have a math background e.g. A Level Maths)

Law (CILEx)

Most areas of finance

Delivery and transport (licences)

Sports coaching

If you want to get into politics, you won't need a degree (or any qualifications for that matter). If you want to get into law, they recommend you either get an LLB or PGDL (postgrad diploma in law) as opposed to doing the CILEx (more for solicitor roles). PGDLs accept undegrads in any subject, but you won't get funding from Student Finance for it though (costs between £6k to £12k the last time that I have checked).

If you really didn't fancy any of the above, you can always pick a postgrad that accept undergrads in any subject. Having said that, you would be eligible for postgrads that accept undergrads in any quantitiative subject if you did physics e.g. computer science, maths, etc. Likewise, you can sometimes get into some life science postgrads with chemistry e.g. biochem, pharmacology.

Master's degrees that accept any undergrad subjects:

Computer science (some degrees)

Anything in business (except for finance) e.g. marketing, accounting. You cannot do a business management degree if you have done it at undergrad

Anthropology

Nursing

Some criminology degrees

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Some film degrees

Hospitality

Some media degrees

Some journalism degrees

Education

Linguistics

Social work

Some politics degrees

Some agriculture degrees

Some fine art degrees

If you really wanted to, you can do conversion courses on top of your degree in physics or chemistry. These would include subjects in:

Computer science

Economics

Psychology

The conversion courses would allow you to do postgrads in those disciplines as well as apply for jobs that specifically require those sort of degrees.
If you did physics. you can also do conversion courses for engineering and maths, even though I would doubt you would ever need to.

The only sort of area where you won't likely be eligible to apply work for should you do a chemistry/physics degree is going to be in healthcare/life sciences and architecture. These would require specific degrees, unless they offer some sort of degree apprenticeship for it.
Note: the previous degree won't stop you from applying for a second bachelor's should you wish, but if you do so you won't get any Student Finance for it, unless it's something like an allied health profession or nursing. Not many people are able to do a second bachelor's for good reason.
Reply 2
Original post by Bumikaa
I’ve finished my first set of mocks and got 9s in 7 of my 10 subjects. I take art, geo, computing, phys, chem, bio, maths, english, RS, further maths level 2.
I flopped english and computing slightly and now I’m really unsure abt law which has been my main subject of interest.
I’ve always been good at sciences and been interested in them but never really medicine; however, I don’t mind doing a single science mainly physics or chemistry or computing.

My main problem is further maths a level, I’m smart in maths but not in the extent to do FSMQ where geniuses r. I’m good but not good but with effort I am. Everyone I’ve met who does further tell me never to do it if u don’t like a maths.
What should I do?

I would drop the level 2 FM to focus on getting all your other subjects up to a grade 8 or 9.

There's no benefit to level 2 FM [I teach Maths] and you learn things that aren't in A level Maths at all.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
I would drop the level 2 FM to focus on getting all your other subjects up to a grade 8 or 9.

There's no benefit to level 2 FM [I teach Maths] and you learn things that aren't in A level Maths at all.

Sadly in my school if you want to do FM alevel you need to do 2 FM or FSMQ
Original post by Bumikaa

If you don't like Maths, don't take FM to A-Level.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Bumikaa

Why? That's crazy! I teach in a selective school and we don't bother with level 2 FM - our A level results for both Maths and Fmaths match top schools!

Quick Reply

Latest