The Student Room Group

What A levels to pick?

I am hoping of taking psychology at uni so have chosen psychology and biology but can't decide between sociology or physics was wondering if anyone had any advice ???
Original post by JuliaMander
I am hoping of taking psychology at uni so have chosen psychology and biology but can't decide between sociology or physics was wondering if anyone had any advice ???

Which one do you think would be:

(a) more interesting

(b) more manageable

(c) more likely to compliment a psychology degree
Reply 2
I feel like sociology would compliment the others but i enjoy both subjects equally however the school I want to go to doesn't offer sociology
I feel like sociology would compliment the others but i enjoy both subjects equally however the school I want to go to doesn't offer sociology

could you possibly study just psychology and biology at school and self teach sociology?

I would avoid Physics if you are not taking Maths. You can take any subject you like as long as you do well in it.

Well, if sociology isn’t on offer, I think it seems the decision is made for you.

I would presume psychology involves a heck of a lot of critical thinking, problem solving, experimentation and understanding sources of error in the experiments conducted. Physics provides experience with all the above, so I imagine to some extent, it would benefit you on a psychology degree.
Original post by swanseajack1
I would avoid Physics if you are not taking Maths. You can take any subject you like as long as you do well in it.

Fair. Having done both maths and physics at A level, there isn’t actually all that much overlap.

Although radians and logs come up in A level physics, they are about as advanced as the maths gets and you are taught how to use them in the physics course and so taking maths isn’t actually a requirement.
Reply 7
Thank you for all the advice I am looking for other sixth forms that offer all the A levels I would like to take and reviewing the main sixth form I would like to go to as my parents don't want me to take 2 hard sciences so biology and physics might not work
Thank you for all the advice I am looking for other sixth forms that offer all the A levels I would like to take and reviewing the main sixth form I would like to go to as my parents don't want me to take 2 hard sciences so biology and physics might not work

If there are any especially good reasons for you wanting to go to this aforementioned sixth form, then go to said sixth form and take physics.

If you decide you’d be happier elsewhere, then go elsewhere.

If you do go elsewhere, you could try taking all 4 A levels and dropping your weakest/least favourite if the workload becomes unmanageable or you lack the motivation to continue with one for whatever reason.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Have you thought about history? It goes very well with psychology and will train you in essay writing and critical thinking skills. (Only take it if you enjoy it though!)

Hi @JuliaMander

You've chosen two good subjects there, especially if you want to study Psychology at Uni, therefore I recommend that you choose the last one that you think you'll enjoy the most :smile:

Sera
Reply 11
With regards to taking physics at the sixth form I wish to attend my parents are very hesitant on me doing two hard science . So I am wondering if attenting another sixth form and taking sociology might be better for me , however this sixth form is not as respected as the other school and taking two sciences are prefered by many high ranked universites so I still am not sure which option to pick ?
With regards to taking physics at the sixth form I wish to attend my parents are very hesitant on me doing two hard science . So I am wondering if attenting another sixth form and taking sociology might be better for me , however this sixth form is not as respected as the other school and taking two sciences are prefered by many high ranked universites so I still am not sure which option to pick ?

As far as universities the subject requirements vary. Some require 2 sciences some 1. Some accept psychology as a science.

Quick Reply

Latest