The Student Room Group

4 A-Levels: Maths, Physics, Further Maths, Economics

So i think i overestimated my abilities, as you can see i chose maths, further maths, physics and economics as the subjects i will study next year. A lot of people have been saying its really difficult to do 4 alevels let alone further maths as one. I hope i can receive some advice, i really do love maths like it is the one subject i have always liked.
What are you hoping to do in future?
Reply 2
Original post by melancollege
What are you hoping to do in future?

it is yet undecided, all i know is i do like maths and my job must mostly be maths.
Im hoping to do a joint degree of economics and mathematics at uni
Original post by Nat16.
So i think i overestimated my abilities, as you can see i chose maths, further maths, physics and economics as the subjects i will study next year. A lot of people have been saying its really difficult to do 4 alevels let alone further maths as one. I hope i can receive some advice, i really do love maths like it is the one subject i have always liked.

If you like maths, then A Level Maths is a good subject to take. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean A Level Further Maths is or that your subject combination is the right fit.

Questions:

Have you done GCSE Further Maths and if so, did you enjoy it?
Have you started self-teaching the syllabus and do you like it so far?
What do you do when you come across difficult maths-related topics?
Are these your strongest subjects?
Are you a high achieving student?
Do you wish to pursue a maths-related career in the future?
Do you believe, knowing yourself, that you will be happy with this subject combination?
Have you investigated every subject you’re taking and are you happy with the content that you’ll be studying?
Which subject would you drop if you had to? If so, why?
Would you be satisfied having 3 maths lessons and 2 hours of maths revision a day, if need be?

A Level subject combinations require a lot of deliberation and consideration if you don’t want to end up regretting your choices 3 months in and being unable to change them. Hopefully, the answers to these questions create a clearer picture as to whether you’re making the best decision or not.
Original post by Nat16.
it is yet undecided, all i know is i do like maths and my job must mostly be maths.

If you're aiming for a top university, FM is likely going to be beneficial. If you're looking to study Maths, the others are irrelevant (I did Maths, FM, Chemistry and French and I do straight Maths) but if you are doing Maths with Economics, then Economics may be helpful, but not strictly required. Note even Cambridge Economics doesn't strictly require Economics, although 93% of applicants have it, and 86% have both Econ and FM. I don't know about other universities.
Reply 5
Original post by Nat16.

Original post by SagaciousSag
If you like maths, then A Level Maths is a good subject to take. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean A Level Further Maths is or that your subject combination is the right fit.

Questions:

Have you done GCSE Further Maths and if so, did you enjoy it?
Have you started self-teaching the syllabus and do you like it so far?
What do you do when you come across difficult maths-related topics?
Are these your strongest subjects?
Are you a high achieving student?
Do you wish to pursue a maths-related career in the future?
Do you believe, knowing yourself, that you will be happy with this subject combination?
Have you investigated every subject you’re taking and are you happy with the content that you’ll be studying?
Which subject would you drop if you had to? If so, why?
Would you be satisfied having 3 maths lessons and 2 hours of maths revision a day, if need be?

A Level subject combinations require a lot of deliberation and consideration if you don’t want to end up regretting your choices 3 months in and being unable to change them. Hopefully, the answers to these questions create a clearer picture as to whether you’re making the best decision or not.

1. No my school did not offer GCSE Further maths but i have started teaching myself the content since december.
2. My teacher advised me against looking at New a level content but said i could look at the cross over between gcse and alevel maths and i did every single question in the textbook in the respective sections. For some me and my friend decided to figure out by ourselves how to get the answer, we combined our maths knowledge and did it - both me and her are taking the same a levels with the exception of her taking computer science and me economics.
3. to be honest when i come across difficult maths questions i simply read the question a few more times and start to write the key information and the goal im supposed to reach, then i work my way backwards.
4. My strongest subjects are the sciences and maths, recently english has become one too. English is my third language and spanish my 4th. English has been a bit more difficult for me to achieve a grade 9 in than the any other subjects.
5. I think i am a high achieving student i got a 9 in the mock for every subject (maths, geography, biology, chemistry, physics, business) but english language, literature and spanish (i got an 8 in all 3) and a 7 in RE.
6. Yes, maths is my focus, i do not wish to do a job that is not heavily dependant on maths.
7. Knowing myself i will regret not taking any of these subjects, i spent weeks on trying to choose between the 4 alevels and came to the concusion that i will just do all 4.
8. Honestly i do not wish to drop any subject but if i had to it would be economics because i would just self-teach it at home.
9. Currently i can do 4 hours of revision afterschool, sometimes 8 on each day of the weekend so i think i can manage.
Reply 6
Original post by Nat16.

That's pretty normal - we only allow 4 if two are Maths/F Maths.
Original post by Nat16.
1. No my school did not offer GCSE Further maths but i have started teaching myself the content since december.
2. My teacher advised me against looking at New a level content but said i could look at the cross over between gcse and alevel maths and i did every single question in the textbook in the respective sections. For some me and my friend decided to figure out by ourselves how to get the answer, we combined our maths knowledge and did it - both me and her are taking the same a levels with the exception of her taking computer science and me economics.
3. to be honest when i come across difficult maths questions i simply read the question a few more times and start to write the key information and the goal im supposed to reach, then i work my way backwards.
4. My strongest subjects are the sciences and maths, recently english has become one too. English is my third language and spanish my 4th. English has been a bit more difficult for me to achieve a grade 9 in than the any other subjects.
5. I think i am a high achieving student i got a 9 in the mock for every subject (maths, geography, biology, chemistry, physics, business) but english language, literature and spanish (i got an 8 in all 3) and a 7 in RE.
6. Yes, maths is my focus, i do not wish to do a job that is not heavily dependant on maths.
7. Knowing myself i will regret not taking any of these subjects, i spent weeks on trying to choose between the 4 alevels and came to the concusion that i will just do all 4.
8. Honestly i do not wish to drop any subject but if i had to it would be economics because i would just self-teach it at home.
9. Currently i can do 4 hours of revision afterschool, sometimes 8 on each day of the weekend so i think i can manage.

It doesn’t sound anything like “my parents are forcing me to”, so I would say that these are all good signs :smile: Good luck with your subject combination!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by SagaciousSag
It doesn’t sound anything like “my parents are forcing me to”, so I would say that these are all good signs :smile: Good luck with your subject combination!

Thank you very much, my mum was rather against me choosing 4 a-levels, she said it will be too much work and pressure and that i should not be overworking myself but i simply will not and cannot accept to drop any of them.
Original post by Nat16.

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. I took Maths, Further Maths, Geography and Psychology so it definitely is possible to take 4 A-Levels and do well. I found that studying both maths and further maths together did not feel as much as I expected 2 A Levels to feel because working on one helped me revise for the other a lot of the time.

As well as straight maths degrees we offer a variety of different courses that may interest you:
- Economics BSc Hons (Requirements: AAB with A level Mathematics grade B)
- Economics and Mathematics BSc Hons (Requirements: AAB with A level Mathematics or Further Mathematics grade A)
- Theoretical Physics with Mathematics BSc Hons (Requirements: AAA with A level Mathematics and Physics grade A)
Alongside these there is options to do integrated masters, a year in industry or study abroad. One of the things I would like to highlight is that to study Maths and economics at a lot of universities you do not need to have studied economics previously. Therefore, there is the option to drop the A-Level if something does go wrong but still continue with your degree plans.

Please feel free to ask me any questions that you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 10
4 A levels including both Maths and FM is about the only situation where its make sense to take 4 subjects - and along with Economics and/or Physics that gives you many options at degree level.
Reply 11
Original post by McGinger
4 A levels including both Maths and FM is about the only situation where its make sense to take 4 subjects - and along with Economics and/or Physics that gives you many options at degree level.

Thank you for letting me know, im still deciding on the degree i want to have, i know i will do maths but i'm still thinking about the joint degree
Reply 12
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. I took Maths, Further Maths, Geography and Psychology so it definitely is possible to take 4 A-Levels and do well. I found that studying both maths and further maths together did not feel as much as I expected 2 A Levels to feel because working on one helped me revise for the other a lot of the time.

As well as straight maths degrees we offer a variety of different courses that may interest you:
- Economics BSc Hons (Requirements: AAB with A level Mathematics grade B)
- Economics and Mathematics BSc Hons (Requirements: AAB with A level Mathematics or Further Mathematics grade A)
- Theoretical Physics with Mathematics BSc Hons (Requirements: AAA with A level Mathematics and Physics grade A)
Alongside these there is options to do integrated masters, a year in industry or study abroad. One of the things I would like to highlight is that to study Maths and economics at a lot of universities you do not need to have studied economics previously. Therefore, there is the option to drop the A-Level if something does go wrong but still continue with your degree plans.

Please feel free to ask me any questions that you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Regarding the masters, do i do it in my last years or have to do it separately
Reply 13
Original post by Nat16.

Heya!
How did you find GCSE maths? If you are aiming to go into top unis then having FM would be helpful with your application :smile: People often choose 3 alvls + FM so you should be fine if you are already taking maths!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 14
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
How did you find GCSE maths? If you are aiming to go into top unis then having FM would be helpful with your application :smile: People often choose 3 alvls + FM so you should be fine if you are already taking maths!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Honestly GCSE maths is easy to say the least, i want a challenge so its why i wish to take maths and FM next year for my a-levels
Reply 15
My eldest daughter did Maths FM Physics and Chemistry Alevel. She was glad she took 4 alevels but she could have dropped Chemistry as she wanted to do physics. Physics is full of maths, and if you went down this route, the FM really does help for first year and students find the course easier. But you can still do the physics without FM alevel, you are just moving it along to first year studies. If you want to do a joint honours of economics and maths, then dump the physics.

If you are going to do the 4 alevels, be prepared for hard graft. Start making your revision notes as you go along, maybe flash cards, watching videos, and develop a plan to study / revise, but also take a break. Be prepared for year 12 not to be as great at year 13. Eldests tests was coming out at D's in year 12 and like many of her classmates they too was the same, but by year 13 it really improved. Give it until Mid to end of October. If you really do find it full on, then ask if you can drop the physics.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Nat16.
Regarding the masters, do i do it in my last years or have to do it separately

Hi again,

When referring to an integrated masters, I mean a 4 year course where the first 3 years are identical to a bachelors degree and the final year include a dissertation and postgraduate style modules. Traditional masters are a separate course taken after completing a bachelors and tend to run slightly longer in duration that a standard undergraduate year would. Personally, I am on an integrated masters as I do not have to make a new UCAS application as you would for a traditional masters. In addition, the funding for an integrated masters is similar to an undergraduate degree whereas a traditional masters tends to have less financial aid available (hence why a lot of people choose to do it part time alongside paid work). One of the benefits of doing an integrated masters at Lancaster is that it is very flexible and if I wanted to I could still choose to 'drop' out of the integrated masters and graduate with a bachelors instead. Any other questions?

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Ghostlady
My eldest daughter did Maths FM Physics and Chemistry Alevel. She was glad she took 4 alevels but she could have dropped Chemistry as she wanted to do physics. Physics is full of maths, and if you went down this route, the FM really does help for first year and students find the course easier. But you can still do the physics without FM alevel, you are just moving it along to first year studies. If you want to do a joint honours of economics and maths, then dump the physics.

If you are going to do the 4 alevels, be prepared for hard graft. Start making your revision notes as you go along, maybe flash cards, watching videos, and develop a plan to study / revise, but also take a break. Be prepared for year 12 not to be as great at year 13. Eldests tests was coming out at D's in year 12 and like many of her classmates they too was the same, but by year 13 it really improved. Give it until Mid to end of October. If you really do find it full on, then ask if you can drop the physics.

I still don't know what joint degree i will decide, depends on which subject i like better physics/economics but maths will 100% be one. I have already planned my revision for next year, i know what im going to do but i have to say the a-levels your daughter has chosen are harder than my choices. Honestly i never liked chemisry and i admire her for picking that alongside the other 3 alevels
Original post by Nat16.

Hi,

Like Amy I am also a third year maths student at Lancaster University and this was my experience with picking A-Levels. I originally chose to study maths, further maths, music and chemistry. I ended up dropping chemistry at the end of year 12, mainly because I didn't enjoy it as much as the other subjects. I also felt that I could use the extra time to do more further maths, which I was really enjoying.

I think it's definitely possible to do four A-Levels, and there were some other people who were in my further maths class who did and found it very manageable.

I'm glad I started by doing four A-levels, because it gave me the opportunity to see which subjects I liked and really wanted to study. If you end up taking all four and end up finding it too much work or you find yourself not enjoying one of the subjects, you could always drop one of the subjects like I did.

It sounds like you really love maths so I would definitely recommend further maths as an A-level. I think for me it was the most interesting A-level and I really enjoyed it.

Best of luck with your A-levels, and let me know if you have any questions.

-Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics Student Ambassador)
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest