The Student Room Group

Notting Hill carnival a "real risk to public safety"

A new report that has warned that the festival poses a "real risk to public safety" as last year saw 4 stabbing which almost resulted in the victims dying.

The report says the that event needs some urgent rethink as London’s mayor Sadiq Khan is advised that overcrowding and a rise in violent crime were the two main issues,

You can read more on the story here

Have you ever been to Notting Hill Carnival? Will you still go? Or do you think it should be shut down?

London is a violent place regardless of the Carnival.
Original post by Danny Dorito
A new report that has warned that the festival poses a "real risk to public safety" as last year saw 4 stabbing which almost resulted in the victims dying.

The report says the that event needs some urgent rethink as London’s mayor Sadiq Khan is advised that overcrowding and a rise in violent crime were the two main issues,

Have you ever been to Notting Hill Carnival? Will you still go? Or do you think it should be shut down?

I do not think the crime at the Carnival has significantly increased. The police are lucky if they get through any Carnival without at least one murder and there are hundreds of arrests each year.

The event has always been over-indulged by the authorities. If you look at similar scale events such as the London Marathon, the cost to its organising committee to put on the event was £15M as long ago as 2010. At the same time the Carnival organisers were working on a budget of £400,000 a year and most of that came from the local Councils. That is nowhere near enough money to pay for the Carnival and most of the rest of the cost falls on the taxpayer.

In 2010 it cost £6.3M to police the Notting Hill Carnival. It cost around £260K to police the London Marathon.

The Carnival needs to either attract sponsorship or be moved somewhere such as one of the parks were an entry fee can be charged.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know why the carnival is still held anyway. It's awful and boring and ridden with crime.
I was planning on going this year but will have to check and see what security is going to be like. As long as we don't stay there until late at night, it should be OK.
Original post by Danny Dorito

If they're that concerned, why don't they bulk up on security? Not get rid of carnival altogether
Reply 6
Original post by cherryred90s
If they're that concerned, why don't they bulk up on security? Not get rid of carnival altogether

Because that costs money.
Original post by Drewski
Because that costs money.

Then they should get rid of reading and Glastonbury festivals too. crimes occur there too
I'm not sure why the Notting Hill Carnival seems to be targeted. There are major festivals where there is a lot of crime too. I'll still be going. It's a fantastic event.
Reply 9
Then they should get rid of reading and Glastonbury festivals too. crimes occur there too

But they pay for it.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I'm not sure why the Notting Hill Carnival seems to be targeted. There are major festivals where there is a lot of crime too. I'll still be going. It's a fantastic event.

!!!!!
Original post by Drewski
But they pay for it.

Huh So because they pay for it, you overlook the crimes that happen there?
Notting hill is one of few that celebrates Afro-Caribbean culture
(edited 7 years ago)
Huh So because they pay for it, you overlook the crimes that happen there?
Notting hill is the only carnival that celebrates Afro-Caribbean culture

Crime happens in society everyday, but everywhere else the burden of this is borne by those involved.

Who or what it celebrates is immaterial. If it's causing problems for the wider area and not paying it's way, there's no reason for it to continue.
Original post by Drewski
Crime happens in society everyday, but everywhere else the burden of this is borne by those involved.

Who or what it celebrates is immaterial. If it's causing problems for the wider area and not paying it's way, there's no reason for it to continue.

Glastonbury and reading aren't the same kind of festivals. Famous artists perform there, thats why they're charged. Pretty sure people camp there too, so they're paying for that aswell.

Why would you charge for a street festival?
Glastonbury and reading aren't the same kind of festivals. Famous artists perform there, thats why they're charged. Pretty sure people camp there too, so they're paying for that aswell.

Why would you charge for a street festival?

And part of the costs they're paying for is for an increase in security - remember the news about the giant fence? - and to the local council for an increase in policing.

Why would you charge for it? Because it incurs cost. Or do you believe that money grows on trees? The "Don't worry, mummy and daddy will pay for everything!" approach doesn't work in the real world.
Original post by Drewski
And part of the costs they're paying for is for an increase in security - remember the news about the giant fence? - and to the local council for an increase in policing.

Why would you charge for it? Because it incurs cost. Or do you believe that money grows on trees? The "Don't worry, mummy and daddy will pay for everything!" approach doesn't work in the real world.

I wouldn't mind paying a small fare for an increase in public safety, but it should be nowhere near the amount that other festivals charge. Shouldnt get rid of it though. Lack of security increases risk of crime
4 non-lethal stabbings. It's not a big deal whatsoever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending