The Student Room Group

walking home after a night out - dangerous?

uni is starting soon and i’m so afraid of clubbing until 3am, ending up on my own and having to find a way to get home safely in the dark. even the thought of waiting at a bus stop alone at 2am makes me feel sick lol.

the uni itself is in a relatively safe area but like all cities there are rough parts… & many stories of girls being attacked / assaulted / murdered which has scared me

has anyone else had anxiety about this and does walking home ever become an issue? should i look into r*** alarms or other methods of self defence or am i being paranoid?
Reply 1
uber doesn’t operate in the area as well and i’m too afraid of getting a taxi alone
Reply 2
It's not always advisable. I'm a six foot odd brick shithouse bloke and I would be wary of walking home at that hour where I live, and I've been up here decades. The best way is to stick with mates and to always tell one where you are going and where you are should you find yourself needing to leave alone.
Original post by Anonymous
uni is starting soon and i’m so afraid of clubbing until 3am, ending up on my own and having to find a way to get home safely in the dark. even the thought of waiting at a bus stop alone at 2am makes me feel sick lol.

the uni itself is in a relatively safe area but like all cities there are rough parts… & many stories of girls being attacked / assaulted / murdered which has scared me

has anyone else had anxiety about this and does walking home ever become an issue? should i look into r*** alarms or other methods of self defence or am i being paranoid?

Hey :smile:

I would recommend that when you go out to clubs etc. that you try and stick to your friends, especially when you are on your way home as walking alone when it is dark can be scary, no matter the time. I'd advise that you try and have a group of you as that will make it a lot more comfortable for you all when you are out, and especially if you are all intoxicated as it is less likely that something would happen. Additionally, before you went out it would be a good idea to discuss how you're all planning on getting home and having some sort of a plan that you can all fall back on; it would also be a good idea to share your location with others so you can all keep an eye on each other on nights out and make sure you are all safe.

If you want to look at getting a r*** alarm or similar methods of self defence then I don't think that's a bad idea, they can be very useful and at the end of the day your safety is the most important thing. However, despite how certain things can be scary please don't prevent this from allowing yourself to go out and have a good time, of course there are potential dangers but going out to clubs can be a brilliant experience and you can gain some incredible memories.

Have fun at Uni and stay safe :smile:

Nicole
First Year law student

Hello,

I hope you're well. I completely understand how you feel, I used to feel like this all the time when I first started university. I didn't go out much and if I was walking home alone it probably wouldn't be past 1am but I always advise letting someone you trust have your location, don't have headphones on so you're aware of your surroundings & keep your belongings close. If you can; try and walk home in a big group or suggest splitting the price of a taxi - if you could afford it, you can always order a taxi for yourself but be careful as those prices add up

Yes, it would be worth looking into some measures to ensure you're safe if you feel that's very necessary. Try and be vigilant of your surroundings & always walk in well-lit areas.

Kind regards
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hey :smile:

I would recommend that when you go out to clubs etc. that you try and stick to your friends, especially when you are on your way home as walking alone when it is dark can be scary, no matter the time. I'd advise that you try and have a group of you as that will make it a lot more comfortable for you all when you are out, and especially if you are all intoxicated as it is less likely that something would happen. Additionally, before you went out it would be a good idea to discuss how you're all planning on getting home and having some sort of a plan that you can all fall back on; it would also be a good idea to share your location with others so you can all keep an eye on each other on nights out and make sure you are all safe.

If you want to look at getting a r*** alarm or similar methods of self defence then I don't think that's a bad idea, they can be very useful and at the end of the day your safety is the most important thing. However, despite how certain things can be scary please don't prevent this from allowing yourself to go out and have a good time, of course there are potential dangers but going out to clubs can be a brilliant experience and you can gain some incredible memories.

Have fun at Uni and stay safe :smile:

Nicole
First Year law student

Would you say it’s generally safe to be walking home at 3am during freshers week in quite a small city? Will there be hundreds of people around at that time in and around the uni?

Hey there!

I don't ever walk home alone. Even though my flat is in a safe area I still won't do it because you never know. I would never recommend you do that, drinking or not. Even if you think you're safe and aware, it's better to go home with people and be safe than sorry. I always either make sure I'm getting an uber (which you've said there isn't many in your area) or I'm walking home with someone else. No one is ever going to leave you by yourself (if they're a true friend) so just make sure you're with someone at all times. Get your flatmates numbers to call them in case of emergency. You should find out what the most popular taxi company is in your area. There surely will be one that has a phone app you can use, those track your location. I still wouldn't necessarily recommend getting a taxi home by yourself but if you do then that's probably one of the safest ways to do it. Put your location on for your friends before your night out and make sure you stick with them at all times. Most times nothing will even happen but I would put yourself in the safest position possible so that nothing can.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Having a rape alarm is always a good idea no matter where you are but you are likely to be ok walking home or taking a bus there are a few things you can do to keep your self safe

1/ As far as possible keep in a group.
2/ stay out of secluded and dark areas keep to well lit or busy areas.
3/ Avoid walking through the parks at night.
4/ If you feel like you are being followed get to a crowded area and ask bouncer or someone if they can call you a taxi.
5/ If you feel unsafe walking home take a taxi.
6/ If you leave a drink in a club don’t return to it buy a new one.
7/ if you start to feel ‘funny” like you might have been drudged get a taxi home as soon as you can hopefully a trusted friend can go with you and keep an eye on you.

In all likely hood nothing will happen but these simple steps will keep you safe. At my uni on the first morning of freshers week we had a presentation by the local police about how to keep safe they showed us a film and then covered some things not covered in the film it got the message across quite well actually.

Relax enjoy uni it’s a wild ride.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #1

And the urgency to go clubbing is?? Stay home kids,where you are safer. Clubbing is definitely not worth the risk ,is a waste of money, time and health.
Original post by Heidi2222
Original post by Anonymous #1

And the urgency to go clubbing is?? Stay home kids,where you are safer. Clubbing is definitely not worth the risk ,is a waste of money, time and health.

It depends on what people like to do
Personally I hate the idea of clubbing but I definitely understand why other people like it so much
Reply 10
Original post by Bekahthegap

Personally I hate the idea of clubbing but I definitely understand why other people like it so much

I understand that everyone has their own idea of fun, but I firmly believe that clubbing isn't a safe option for anyone. The drawbacks of clubbing include:
1.Safety Risks: Being out late, especially after 11 PM, increases vulnerability to crimes and unwanted incidents. This is a significant concern, as foreign students in the UK are advised against going out late for their safety.
2.Health Hazards:Clubs are often crowded and loud, which can affect both your hearing and general well-being. Exposure to smoke and other substances in such environments can also be harmful.
3.Financial Cost:Regular clubbing can be an expensive habit, with money spent on entry fees, drinks, and other related costs.
4.Risky Behaviors:Club environments, especially when alcohol is involved, can lead to impaired judgment and risky behaviors, increasing the likelihood of accidents or dangerous situations.
5.Unknown Dangers:The possibility of encountering someone with harmful intentions is always a risk in club settings.
Instead of clubbing, why not enjoy a safer and more relaxed atmosphere at home? You can still listen to music, dance, and have drinks with friends in the comfort of your own space. This way, you not only save money and protect your health, but you also significantly reduce the risks associated with late-night outings. It's essential to be aware of these dangers and make informed choices for your safety and well-being. Remember, it's always better to be cautious than to learn the hard way.
Original post by Heidi2222

I understand that everyone has their own idea of fun, but I firmly believe that clubbing isn't a safe option for anyone. The drawbacks of clubbing include:
1.Safety Risks: Being out late, especially after 11 PM, increases vulnerability to crimes and unwanted incidents. This is a significant concern, as foreign students in the UK are advised against going out late for their safety.
2.Health Hazards:Clubs are often crowded and loud, which can affect both your hearing and general well-being. Exposure to smoke and other substances in such environments can also be harmful.
3.Financial Cost:Regular clubbing can be an expensive habit, with money spent on entry fees, drinks, and other related costs.
4.Risky Behaviors:Club environments, especially when alcohol is involved, can lead to impaired judgment and risky behaviors, increasing the likelihood of accidents or dangerous situations.
5.Unknown Dangers:The possibility of encountering someone with harmful intentions is always a risk in club settings.
Instead of clubbing, why not enjoy a safer and more relaxed atmosphere at home? You can still listen to music, dance, and have drinks with friends in the comfort of your own space. This way, you not only save money and protect your health, but you also significantly reduce the risks associated with late-night outings. It's essential to be aware of these dangers and make informed choices for your safety and well-being. Remember, it's always better to be cautious than to learn the hard way.

😂 you make a good point
Stay home where it's safe? bad things happen in lots of homes...

And I've seen some amount of extreme and out of control things happen with house drinks/parties/gatherings, things that might not have gone that far with say the trained staff, cameras and regulation of a licenced venue.
Reply 13
Original post by StriderHort
Stay home where it's safe? bad things happen in lots of homes...

And I've seen some amount of extreme and out of control things happen with house drinks/parties/gatherings, things that might not have gone that far with say the trained staff, cameras and regulation of a licenced venue.

I appreciate your perspective and agree that unfortunate incidents can happen anywhere, including homes. You're right that licensed venues often have trained staff and security measures like cameras, which can help regulate and control situations to some extent.
However, the key difference lies in the level of control and familiarity one has in a home environment compared to a public venue like a club. At home, you generally have more control over the guest list, the amount of alcohol consumed, and the overall environment. This control can help mitigate some risks associated with large, public gatherings where numerous unknown factors come into play.
Of course, responsible behavior is crucial regardless of the setting. Whether in a club or at home, it's important to be aware of the risks, make informed choices, and ensure a safe environment for everyone involved. The emphasis on staying home isn't about guaranteeing absolute safety, but rather about reducing exposure to certain risks that are inherently higher in club settings.
In conclusion, while no environment is entirely risk-free, the idea is to choose settings where risks are more manageable and familiar. It's about finding a balance and making choices that align with one’s comfort level and safety considerations.
kind regards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending