The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

What facilities are there at Stoke Bishop

I am trying to see what stuff there is at Stoke Bishop. I know there's the accommodation and the sports fields, but is there any uni gyms/shops there?

Also, is Stoke Bishop on the outskirts of Bristol or is it actually outside Bristol?

Cheers the help guys
Reply 1
Bump
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Davi6336
I am trying to see what stuff there is at Stoke Bishop. I know there's the accommodation and the sports fields, but is there any uni gyms/shops there?

I don't believe so, but I could be wrong.

Also, is Stoke Bishop on the outskirts of Bristol or is it actually outside Bristol?

Neither.

I'd say it was roughly half-way between the city centre and the city boundary.
Lol Stoke Bishop. Sounds like the worst euphemism for masturbation ever.
Original post by Trinculo
Lol Stoke Bishop. Sounds like the worst euphemism for masturbation ever.

It's actually really nice. It doesn't sound it but it's pretty.
Reply 5
Original post by martin7
I don't believe so, but I could be wrong.

Neither.

I'd say it was roughly half-way between the city centre and the city boundary.

Ah alright cheers for the reply. So I'm guessing there'd be gyms and shops close by but none specific to the uni then?
I am currently staying in University Hall. Travelling to and from Stoke Bishop can be a bit of a pain. They have improved the buses significantly after a lot of complaints last term, but I still get turned away from full buses sometimes. In terms of facilities, there is a (very) small gym in Hiatt Baker that I got to join for free (it's available for all Stoke Bishop residences). I don't think there are other gyms around here, most people join ones near the university and get the bus down.

Not too sure about the other residences but University Hall has a music practice room (tiny room with a piano), a student bar (ok it's pretty good, cheap drinks and table football, ping pong, pool table, darts, board games and they do showings of TV shows every now and then). There's also a quieter study room and a computer room as well as squash and tennis courts that are in other halls but open to us. There's a small shop by the bus stop with essential supplies (toilet paper, bread, milk, chocolate) but it's rather expensive. It's a 20 minute walk to the next nearest shop (co-op or waitrose) or about a 20 minute bus ride to the big Sainsbury's. I really like it here but having to get the bus everywhere can be a bit annoying. There's also bike storage space which I've heard it quite good if you want to avoid the bus, but there's a huge hill to climb on the way back up!

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Reply 7
Original post by melikecheese
I am currently staying in University Hall. Travelling to and from Stoke Bishop can be a bit of a pain. They have improved the buses significantly after a lot of complaints last term, but I still get turned away from full buses sometimes. In terms of facilities, there is a (very) small gym in Hiatt Baker that I got to join for free (it's available for all Stoke Bishop residences). I don't think there are other gyms around here, most people join ones near the university and get the bus down.

Not too sure about the other residences but University Hall has a music practice room (tiny room with a piano), a student bar (ok it's pretty good, cheap drinks and table football, ping pong, pool table, darts, board games and they do showings of TV shows every now and then). There's also a quieter study room and a computer room as well as squash and tennis courts that are in other halls but open to us. There's a small shop by the bus stop with essential supplies (toilet paper, bread, milk, chocolate) but it's rather expensive. It's a 20 minute walk to the next nearest shop (co-op or waitrose) or about a 20 minute bus ride to the big Sainsbury's. I really like it here but having to get the bus everywhere can be a bit annoying. There's also bike storage space which I've heard it quite good if you want to avoid the bus, but there's a huge hill to climb on the way back up!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks for this insight, I wanna go to UH next year and was wondering if the shared bathroom situation is ok? And if the bathrooms there are descent. Also are the rooms/kitchen nice?
Original post by Foscado
Thanks for this insight, I wanna go to UH next year and was wondering if the shared bathroom situation is ok? And if the bathrooms there are descent. Also are the rooms/kitchen nice?

The bathroom is just a shower and a sink, so pretty basic, but it does everything you expect. Then there's a small room next to it with a toilet and sink. Since there are only 5 in a flat I've never had any real problems sharing it. Everyone has a different timetable so it's pretty much available whenever I need it.

Rooms are small but definitely large enough for me. There's loads of storage space above the bed, a wardrobe, bedside table, a large desk and some shelves. You can also fit more things under the bed if you need to. Heating works well, you just need to make sure to make sure everything is turned on from the kitchen when you first arrive (we didn't know and spent the first few weeks shivering!). The kitchen is small. There's really only space for one person to cook properly so we do find ourselves climbing over each other to get to stuff. Other than that it's quite nice and has all the basics (oven, microwave, toaster, kettle). We managed to have a few flat meals together despite the lack of space. Cleaners come once a week to clean the surfaces and check you've emptied the bins so it never gets too bad in there. If you can cope with a small kitchen, you'll probably be happy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending