The Student Room Group

Assistance Dog

Hi,

I've been lurking round here for a bit and trawling through the past posts and no one has ever asked about a dog at Uni

I've had Bella for 3 years to help me take care of myself and we are inseparable I'm entering my final year at college and am wanting to go to Uni.

Would I be able to live in halls with Bella? I don't know if they would even accept me into halls with a dog? I would need a larger room for us to both fit, but will that cost me more? Bella's upkeep is not cheap so can't afford to pay more than the costs advertised.

I'm specifically thinking Exeter and Bristol if anyone has experience with them?

Any help would be appreciated. I know I should ring them but I have a fear of phones. I sent both Uni's an E-mail last week but no reponse :/
It's fairly normal practice to allow guide / registered assistance dogs into halls. I assume that this is a registered assistance dog - if not, then it's highly unlikely that you would be allowed to have her, as she would just be classed as a pet.

I'd suggest contacting the university's disability team. They will be able to advise on which halls have larger rooms (as a general rule, older halls - particularly pre-WWI halls built in a traditional stone style - seem to be larger) and on the procedure for living with a guide dog in halls. I would imagine that they will have to contact the other people who will be living there to check that no one is allergic to fur / dogs.

PS If you go to Bristol, then you'll have 400 acres of open parkland (called The Downs) on your doorstep, if you choose to live in Stoke Bishop halls. It's a really nice place to walk your dog - I used to walk mine there :smile:
Reply 2
There are laws in place which mean they would (unless they can justify it) have to accommodate you and Bella.
Reply 3
Yes, Bella is registered.

I'm kind of put off applying. I would need a room that could fit us both in, and that she would not go crazy in. She also needs to be able to go outside ...but pretty sure they wouldn't have a garden for her. More concerned about her than I am myself ... she's the best thing that has ever happened to me.

I've visited both Exeter and Bristol and both offer green places for her to walk.

I didn't think to contact the disability team, only contacted accommodation, so will try and contact them tomorrow during college.
Reply 4
My university residences allow assistance dogs. I don't see why anywhere wouldn't really, it's probably illegal because it's a bit discriminatory. We have rooms on the ground floor for people who are disabled/need assistance and they are larger and have more space around the flat than the other flats. If yours are similar I imagine it'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Spanner91
Yes, Bella is registered.

I'm kind of put off applying. I would need a room that could fit us both in, and that she would not go crazy in. She also needs to be able to go outside ...but pretty sure they wouldn't have a garden for her. More concerned about her than I am myself ... she's the best thing that has ever happened to me.

I've visited both Exeter and Bristol and both offer green places for her to walk.

I didn't think to contact the disability team, only contacted accommodation, so will try and contact them tomorrow during college.

All halls that I've ever visited have had some form of green space around them, even if it doesn't look like a garden per se! Clearly you'd have to supervise her whilst she's outside as those areas don't tend to be fenced off in a dog-friendly way.

If you go to Bristol, then I'd definitely recommend Stoke Bishop halls, because of the proximity to the Downs. However, if you were to opt for Clifton Halls (arguably a better option if you have mobility problems) then there is Brandon Hill to exercise her on - it's a gem of a park, fairly large, right in the city centre, really close (half a mile away) to the academic buildings too. It is, however, fairly secluded and not immediately obvious unless you look on a map or have some local knowledge!

I'm going to bet that if they can accommodate someone in a wheelchair then they can accommodate Bella :wink:
Since you will need a bigger room to accommodate Bella any extra cost of that should be funded by DSA - but you might have to fight for it because they don't often subsidise accommodation.

Also, you'll be extremely popular with a dog. Almost everyone I know got to about week three or four and started moping about missing their pets.
Reply 7
As a registered assistance dog I imagine it would be fine. Contact the University Dissability team, they are usually very good!

I wouldn't worry about bringing her, as a student you will have plenty of time to keep her company so even if you have a smallish room there will be lots of opportunity to get her out etc.

PS You are going to be very popular :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Since you will need a bigger room to accommodate Bella any extra cost of that should be funded by DSA - but you might have to fight for it because they don't often subsidise accommodation.

Also, you'll be extremely popular with a dog. Almost everyone I know got to about week three or four and started moping about missing their pets.

DSA would'nt meet cost for a bigger room in this respect, but some uni's do have a dog exercise service.
Original post by NJones
DSA would'nt meet cost for a bigger room in this respect, but some uni's do have a dog exercise service.

They should because it's an extra cost OP would have due to their disability and it's related to going to uni - wouldn't be in halls otherwise and most private student accommodation doesn't allow animals. DSA payed for my en-suite due to my ED.
Reply 10
Extra cost of En-suite for medical reasons is one thing, but not for the situation described. They should but often don't.
Original post by Spanner91

I've lived in university halls where a student had a guide dog and the university made all the necessary adaptations, ground floor room by the gardens, fenced off doggy area of the garden etc.

Both universities should be able to accommodate you, but as above, go directly to the student disability advisers to get a detailed response. It shouldn't cost you any more than the relevant room rate for that hall of residence.
The disability services at whichever university you choose to go to will have experience with a whole range of different cases. They'll be used to adapting halls to the needs of the student. I'm sure that your case wont be unique for them! Definitely try and get in touch with an advisor to see what they can do to make your accommodation suitable for your situation :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Origami Bullets
It's fairly normal practice to allow guide / registered assistance dogs into halls. I assume that this is a registered assistance dog - if not, then it's highly unlikely that you would be allowed to have her, as she would just be classed as a pet.

I'd suggest contacting the university's disability team. They will be able to advise on which halls have larger rooms (as a general rule, older halls - particularly pre-WWI halls built in a traditional stone style - seem to be larger) and on the procedure for living with a guide dog in halls. I would imagine that they will have to contact the other people who will be living there to check that no one is allergic to fur / dogs.

PS If you go to Bristol, then you'll have 400 acres of open parkland (called The Downs) on your doorstep, if you choose to live in Stoke Bishop halls. It's a really nice place to walk your dog - I used to walk mine there :smile:

Hi just to correct, in the UK there is no formal registration of an assistance dog. Whilst there are many charities, especially those approved by ADUK, it is not required by law to have any registration or identification for your assistance dog. The proof is in the behaviour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending