The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

bristol accommodation rec!

hi,

I'm likely firming bristol for uni and wanted some recommendations for accommodations!

I want to be in a social area where it's easy to make friends and people go out maybe once a week, but I'm not comfortable with using drugs, and I'd prefer not to be around them as much as possible. I'm a big walker/runner so a place where it's reasonably safe to be outside alone is also important. I definitely want self-catered, but I also love older architecture like the holmes. my offer is for medicine, if that helps with convenience/typical medic accommodations. also, there's a lot of information saying that you have to go to stoke bishop to have a life, but a lot of other people say that stoke bishop is all drugs and cliquey rich people so I'm quite confused about that. I don't really care about other people's financial status but I want to live with people who wouldn't judge me for being an international or pretty averagely well off.

The ones I'm considering right now are manor hall, goldney hall, unite, orchard heights, and hiatt baker if anyone has any thoughts. I know most people end up loving wherever they are, but any recs would be appreciated! Thanks so much!!
Manor and goldney are probably your best bets. Stoke Bishop (incl Hiatt baker) does have the stereotype of drug use and I would say that it's partially true, so personally I'd avoid it. Unfortunately Bristol has high drug use stats in general so you probably won't avoid being around them completely but I'd say that West village is pretty safe. Manor's rooms in the main building (ie. not Sinclair or the other annexes, idk much about them) are really big for the price, they're old and massive (think parquet floorboards, built-in wooden shelving units, giant wooden wardrobes and fireplaces that no longer work) and there were quite a few internationals who were there with me last year.. Goldney is also really pretty, it's a bit further than Manor (Manor is around 10-15 mins from main campus, Goldney around 15-20) and the communal areas aren't as good but that's my opinion and subject to change anyway ! Haven't heard great things about unite tbh, orchard isn't too bad either as it's not too far from the main campus and it's not far from BRI if you're put there for your first year med placement.
Personally if you're an athlete who just wants to be outdoors then the obvious choice is Clifton (west village ie. Manor, Goldney,etc.) The village is quieter and safer than the old city, you have the suspension bridge which always has runners on whenever I go there, walking trails beyond the bridge but you still have access to the Downs (Stoke Bishop) if you're into slightly longer distances. It also has good access to the bus services to Southmead Hospital (505) if you're put there for your first year placement.
hope that helps and best of luck :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Anonymous #1
hi,

I'm likely firming bristol for uni and wanted some recommendations for accommodations!

I want to be in a social area where it's easy to make friends and people go out maybe once a week, but I'm not comfortable with using drugs, and I'd prefer not to be around them as much as possible. I'm a big walker/runner so a place where it's reasonably safe to be outside alone is also important. I definitely want self-catered, but I also love older architecture like the holmes. my offer is for medicine, if that helps with convenience/typical medic accommodations. also, there's a lot of information saying that you have to go to stoke bishop to have a life, but a lot of other people say that stoke bishop is all drugs and cliquey rich people so I'm quite confused about that. I don't really care about other people's financial status but I want to live with people who wouldn't judge me for being an international or pretty averagely well off.

The ones I'm considering right now are manor hall, goldney hall, unite, orchard heights, and hiatt baker if anyone has any thoughts. I know most people end up loving wherever they are, but any recs would be appreciated! Thanks so much!!

Hey, those are all pretty good choices tbf. I personally would recommened Stoke Bishop, I am there at the moment, it is super super sociable and really easy to meet people. Stoke bishop is more of a campus which I like as you get more of a community feel. I do not do drugs either, I have not found it very druggy at all (I was surprised, given Bristol's rep), its one of those things that if you wanted to delve into it, it would be easy to but likewise, it is very easy to stay away from it! If you are wanting self-catered and somewhere sociable I personally would not recommened the Holmes, its gorgeous but its quite dated inside, especially considering what you pay. Also, it is not the most sociable as there are not alot of spaces and its a bit isolated, its sort of inbetween accomodations (situated between Churchill and Wills), I don't actually know anyone there though so I am speuclating a little bit. Stoke Bishop is great if you are a walker/ runner as you are right next to the Downs. You are also walking distance to coombe dingle, which is where alot of uni sports take place, all other accomodations you would have to get a bus from, which is a bit of a pain as it is not the most reliable (The U1 bus service from Stoke Bishop to Campus is, but its the 3 bus that takes you too coombe dingle which is always a bit rogue). There is definetley alot of wealth in north village, but I would not say people are 'cliquey' about it, everyone seems to have pretty similar desires to just have a good time. Goldney is a very good choice too, lovely grounds and it is sociable, in a bit more of a quieter area. Unite is a bit hit or miss, you have to get lucky with your flat, the actual accomodation is suppppper nice though (the photos on the UOB website for it are old, its been renovated since). Haven't been to Orchard Heights, I know someone there who seems to enjoy it, that is more city centre however so less greenery, so walks aren't as nice. Hiatt Baker is where I am at the moment and it is great!!! I have met so many lovely people, we go out a couple times a week, but there is never any pressure too. It is very easy to have a night in without feeling FOMO. I would definetley recommened Hiatt! If you have anymore questions let me know.
hello, Manor is in a lovely area, lots of greenspace and close to the triangle (bars/clubs/some shops). Good architecture, big rooms (everyone is jell of us) and super cheap! our gardens r cute and we have decent facilities, living room, JCR and music room. GREAT PEOPLE!!! not a lot of druggies either. veryyyy social. close to everything except lidl. If u play sport dw ab not being in stokey B, there r buses that go to coombe dingle (free buses in first year).

Hi I'm also going to start medicine and have very similar preferences for accommodation, I'm most likely going to put Goldney as my first. I also am thinking about Richmond Terrace. Does anyone know if it's any good? BTW what type of room are you looking for? I would apply for Manor but I don't think they have en suite
Original post by Anonymous #1
hi,

I think you shouldn’t really stress about this cause you can’t choose which accommodation you’re placed in at Bristol :smile: I’m also likely gonna firm Bristol for this year and after doing some research I found out that you essentially just fill a form with what you prefer from your residence hall and they try to match you with one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending