The Student Room Group

What's the most analytical/ least salesy exit opp from banking?

Now I know that there are many paths that an analyst in M and A could take but I feel that as someone who is not a great sales guy, being an MD and basically selling and building client relationships at the bar all day isn't really for me. I don't mind selling and building client relationships but I would want a significant proportion of my time to spent on excel or on the phone instead of travelling and meeting clients.
Original post by desaf1
Now I know that there are many paths that an analyst in M and A could take but I feel that as someone who is not a great sales guy, being an MD and basically selling and building client relationships at the bar all day isn't really for me. I don't mind selling and building client relationships but I would want a significant proportion of my time to spent on excel or on the phone instead of travelling and meeting clients.

private equity / merger arbs / hedge funds.. tbh any job you are Jr in (even M&A) you'll be doing this kinda stuff. when you're more senior responsibility will shift to generating revenue because you become too expensive and banks need to make a return at the end of the day and the way to do that is bring in revenue via onboarding & maintaining client relationships.
Finance careers are all sales when you reach the top. Sorry to say it but if you don't like clients and relationships then it's best to choose a different path
(edited 7 years ago)
Finance jobs (banking, investments, private equity) are all sales jobs at the end of the day. When you move up past the analyst level than you'll be focusing on meeting new clients and maintaining relationships, making sure that business flows. It's the people who are starting out that do the 'analysis' stuff and work on excel. Perhaps go for a different career like technology or back office if you don't want to or cannot do sales and relationship management because that's essentially what finance jobs are.
Original post by desaf1

Quantitative Analytics or a Technology related role within a bank are solid bets. Corporate Development is less "sales" but you'll still have a lot of stakeholders to deal with. A Research role might also be a slightly better fit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending