The Student Room Group

ITMB in University of Manchester

I just recently got offered a spot in the course and I had a few questions about it:
1. How do the team projects work? How long do they last? What steps are involved in it and how do students work on it, in terms of hours spent and work done?
2. Do I need a programming background? I understand we will be learning the fundamentals of some programming languages, but to get work done on team projects would we need to have an idea about programming languages to begin with?
3. What are the job prospects from this course? I am aware this course is heavier on the management aspect. Would I be able to get management related jobs in the future? Or would my career line be IT centered? Maybe both? Could I pursue business analytics in postgrad?
4. How do presentations play out? Are they individual or team efforts? Are we presenting to other students or to potential employers? In workshops, events, or classrooms?
Original post by maahilmtheen
I just recently got offered a spot in the course and I had a few questions about it:
1. How do the team projects work? How long do they last? What steps are involved in it and how do students work on it, in terms of hours spent and work done?
2. Do I need a programming background? I understand we will be learning the fundamentals of some programming languages, but to get work done on team projects would we need to have an idea about programming languages to begin with?
3. What are the job prospects from this course? I am aware this course is heavier on the management aspect. Would I be able to get management related jobs in the future? Or would my career line be IT centered? Maybe both? Could I pursue business analytics in postgrad?
4. How do presentations play out? Are they individual or team efforts? Are we presenting to other students or to potential employers? In workshops, events, or classrooms?

Hey I’m a second year student at uom on this course.

1.Team projects are an integral part of the course. In first year we were assigned teams for one important module , and worked on a year long project for credit Suisse (your first year project will be Lloyds bank since credit suisse was taken over by ubs). The way you work on it is absolutely up to you,I found a weekly team meeting to be the most helpful especially in the lead up to the presentation. And the end of the semester there’s a showcase in front of different employers as well as a networking event which is good as well. Again with hours spent it’s entirely up to you and your team. Like most things the more effort you put in the better the result. In second year you have the same module but with a different case study with P&G and you get to choose your teams so performing well in first year may help to get a good team in the second year

It may help to have some coding background but it’s not necessary, I did a html course before which was useful in the first weeks and helped with understanding what coding is and how it works, but honestly most of my friends on the course had no prior coding experience and were completely fine. No harm in some light research like a YouTube video. In first year it is very focused on c# which is quite tough. For the project mentioned above you have to create an application for Lloyds bank in your groups. It sounds daunting but it is doable and you learn the skills required for that project. Again going into the course with some knowledge will be good but you will learn it anyway.

The job prospects in my opinion are very good. There’s a 100% employment rate. One thing I found very useful was a module solely based on academic and professional development. We learned all about placement and how to apply (if you’re wanting to take a placement-which I would recommend) and had to submit CVs very early on in the year even before placement applications were ready. I know it’s management based, however one thing I’ve noticed is that ITMB students are usually more equipped compared to purely management students lol. It is more management based than other courses that offer it but technical modules are definitely there. I also feel like it readies you for corporate environment. The best part about this course is the fact that it leaves the option for if you’d rather go more technical or business. You’re exposed to real life corporate situations in those industries so deciding between the two becomes easier when you prefer one to the other or if you want to do both. There’s a module call business analysis in second year and data analytics in first year and they equip you quite well but the option for postgrad is still there if you would like.

I kind of answered 4 but just to reiterate. The first year module I said before is presented to many employers, including the employer that is sponsoring your case study, in this case Lloyds. The showcase is pretty fun. You can search it on LinkedIn I think. It’s a chance to show off hard work and there are winners at the end it does get quite competitive but like I said great fun. Plus being able to present to employers allows you to show yourself off as well- it’s actually one of the reasons I got one of my placement offers. It’s very much a team effort but some individual awards are given out.
all in all I would say I’ve really enjoyed this course so far. It’s challenging at times but every course will be and I do think it’s one of the best for employability skills. Not many other courses/unis have to do as many presentations as we have to do. You gain so much confidence without even realising.

Let me know if you need any more help or information. I’m happy to answer any questions
(edited 1 day ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending