The Student Room Group

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Countdown until Semi-final 2
[countdown]1494529200000[/countdown]

Semi-finals: Tuesday 9th and Thursday 11th May 2017
Grand final: Saturday 13th May 2017

« Visit the live voting thread »

Last year saw a victory from the Ukraine with their song "1944", written and performed by Jamala. This marked the second Eurovision victory for Ukraine, their last (and only) previous win coming from 2004. So now we're gearing up for a visit to Kiev this May for the 62nd edition of the Eurovision Song Contest!

This year we will see 42 countries competing, with 26 of them making it through to the grand final. Austrailia are back yet again, and we still don't really know why. But hey, it's Eurovision. :woo:

Meanwhile, the BBC has already picked out who will represent the United Kingdom this year following a public vote on the "Eurovision: You Decide" program, which returned for the second year running. Former X-Factor contestant Lucie Jones will be carrying Blighty's hopes and dreams to Eurovision this year.

The theme for 2017 is "Celebrate Diversity", which the EBU calls "the heart of Eurovision values" - a contest for everyone in Europe and beyond, no matter what their differences are. Fingers crossed we'll see another great contest this year. :awesome:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All national entries that have been announced (so far)

Albania

Belarus

Cyprus

Finland

France

Georgia

Germany

Hungary

Italy

Malta

Montenegro

Spain

Poland

Switzerland

United Kingdom

Not yet announced:

Armenia

Australia

Austria

Azerbaijan

Belgium

Bulgaria

Croatia

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Greece

Iceland

Ireland

Israel

Latvia

Lithuania

FYR Macedonia

Moldova

The Netherlands

Norway

Portugal

Romania

Russia

San Marino

Serbia

Slovenia

Sweden

Ukraine

(edited 7 years ago)
:woo:

Me and my friend make a huge deal of Eurovision every year. It used to be so much better when it wasn't taken so seriously

Australia back again though :laugh:
I LOVE eurovision

[video="youtube;GP5YOhQZtlA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP5YOhQZtlA[/video]
Reply 4
Original post by chelseadagg3r

Me and my friend make a huge deal of Eurovision every year. It used to be so much better when it wasn't taken so seriously

Agreed. Would be nice to see some sillyness return to the contest this year, though looking at the national entries so far it's probably going to be another ballad-heavy year. :erm:
Original post by Fox Corner
I LOVE eurovision

[video="youtube;GP5YOhQZtlA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP5YOhQZtlA[/video]

This is ICONIC. Learned the dance and the lyrics and everything :laugh:
Original post by Dez
Agreed. Would be nice to see some sillyness return to the contest this year, though looking at the national entries so far it's probably going to be another ballad-heavy year. :erm:

You never know, one day. The cheesiness really was top level though, and I loved it. I try not to look at the acts in the run up so I'm surprised on the big night and I can laugh at the funny ones, but with the ballads it doesn't have the same effect
Reply 7
Posting to follow

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope Loreen wins the Swedish selection again and hopefully wins Eurovision again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hurrah! The UK might actually do well this year. :thumbsup:

Original post by chelseadagg3r

I have to disagree. The songs are better these days than ten years ago. There were only so many songs like this I could take:

[video="youtube;kIRDbmpC2PI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIRDbmpC2PI[/video]

:dong:

OMG EUROVISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! and breathe....:h:

Original post by Snufkin
Hurrah! The UK might actually do well this year. :thumbsup:

I have to disagree. The songs are better these days than ten years ago. There were only so many songs like this I could take:

[video="youtube;kIRDbmpC2PI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIRDbmpC2PI[/video]

:dong:

Lol, this was my favourite in 2008:tongue: We need more of this:redface:
Original post by IKEAPanda37
OMG EUROVISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! and breathe....:h:

Lol, this was my favourite in 2008:tongue: We need more of this:redface:

:woo: :rave: :jumphug: :party: :yay:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
:woo: :rave: :jumphug: :party: :yay:

So have you listened to the :france:entry yet:wink:?

:no: :hide: tomorrow :ahee: :france: :woo:
Yeah it's still stuck in my head and I don't even speak French
kinda looking forward to this year's Eurovision :smile:
I can't stop listening to the tracks on the Eurovision channel

Overall we possibly have a better chance than last year - the majority of the comments on Youtube are positive, apart from the ones which are making excuses Brexit is the only excuse I've seen)
Our attitude towards Eurovision seems to have improved slightly
(edited 7 years ago)

I just listened to France's entry - it has got a lot of hype, but I was disappointed tbh. It's not a song I would listen to again. The live version is not good.
Original post by Snufkin
I just listened to France's entry - it has got a lot of hype, but I was disappointed tbh. It's not a song I would listen to again. The live version is not good.

Ah interesting, I've not heard it live but I really like it :h: IMO France have really stepped it up recently

Best of the Big 5 by far
Reply 19
Ah interesting, I've not heard it live but I really like it :h: IMO France have really stepped it up recently

Best of the Big 5 by far

They've certainly come a long way since 2014. :p:

Latest