The Student Room Group

Duolingo VS Memrise?

Which is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Sorry but why isn't Quizlet an option???? :s-smilie:

I'd pick memrise, I learn a lot quicker using memrise. (But remember Quizlet is always better... :wink:)
Personally I'd choose Duolingo, but try them both and see what you like
Reply 3
Memrise is best in my opinion. much more engaging and more useful in the early stages.
memrise is probably better but at the moment im using duolingo and i find it alright
Reply 5
Original post by Moltenmo
Which is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Theyre both good in different ways. Duolingo is better at consolidating grammar (and just grammar in general) whilst Memrise is better if you just want to focus on your vocab.
memrise is good for learning exam board specific vocab (as is quizlet) which in terms of exams is good as it helps you recognise words in reading/listening activities. duolingo is good for learning words in the context of sentences and for grammar and stuff. i'm doing a level german and have always used a combination of both
Which is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Memrise actually uses science and statistics to enhance your learning of whatever it is you are learning.
I used it a LOT at GCSE and a bit at AS, picking it up again now.
I had duolingo for a few weeks but was not seeing results with it and it seemed a bit simplified tbh :s-smilie:

I'd say give both a try but be aware that it depends what you are learning and how you learn best.
Memrise was so great for me because I could set goals (minutes of it per day to achieve), the app is great, so is the online one and I can listen to it and repeatedly type out words (this is how I learn best).
You can also make visual aids for memorising certain things.

@Quizlet also gets a shout out because it is fab for making your own revision materials but using existing ones and learning a lot is best on Memrise.

My patience was low for duolingo so I'd suggest you try it but yeah.

Worked for me especially for languages and I also used it for GCSE definitions in Geography, Maths and Chemistry.
At AS I used bits for French and Maths and Chemistry definitions.
At A2 I mostly use Quizlet but am picking up a Chemistry and 2 language courses to bring back the fun into my week :ahee: :excited:

Hope this helps, erm excuse the rambling but these things are sooo exciting :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Memrise actually uses science and statistics to enhance your learning of whatever it is you are learning.
I used it a LOT at GCSE and a bit at AS, picking it up again now.
I had duolingo for a few weeks but was not seeing results with it and it seemed a bit simplified tbh :s-smilie:

I'd say give both a try but be aware that it depends what you are learning and how you learn best.
Memrise was so great for me because I could set goals (minutes of it per day to achieve), the app is great, so is the online one and I can listen to it and repeatedly type out words (this is how I learn best).
You can also make visual aids for memorising certain things.

@Quizlet also gets a shout out because it is fab for making your own revision materials but using existing ones and learning a lot is best on Memrise.

My patience was low for duolingo so I'd suggest you try it but yeah.

Worked for me especially for languages and I also used it for GCSE definitions in Geography, Maths and Chemistry.
At AS I used bits for French and Maths and Chemistry definitions.
At A2 I mostly use Quizlet but am picking up a Chemistry and 2 language courses to bring back the fun into my week :ahee: :excited:

Hope this helps, erm excuse the rambling but these things are sooo exciting :colondollar:

Your last statement made me giggle :biggrin:
I have used Duolingo but what sucks about it is that there are no daily goals to achieve. That, for me, is an awesome incentive to go on it everyday gone. Memrise was always the better app for me but my friends used Duolingo and I must admit, I liked the competition factor that it brought.

Did you achieve good grades using Memrise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Quizlet
Sorry but why isn't Quizlet an option???? :s-smilie:

I'd pick memrise, I learn a lot quicker using memrise. (But remember Quizlet is always better... :wink:)

Ahh Quizlet...the interface doesn't appeal to me lol. It's one of those weird things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by jasminglynne
memrise is good for learning exam board specific vocab (as is quizlet) which in terms of exams is good as it helps you recognise words in reading/listening activities. duolingo is good for learning words in the context of sentences and for grammar and stuff. i'm doing a level german and have always used a combination of both

But which one did you prefer?:holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by LifeIsFine
Personally I'd choose Duolingo, but try them both and see what you like

Why would you choose Duolingo?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why would you choose Duolingo?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I tried Memrise and Duolingo a while ago to see which I'd use to aid my German learning but I just felt Duolingo's format was more friendly and that it taught me more.
However, I havent used Memrise in a while so I couldnt give you specific details
But which one did you prefer?:holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

normally i'd say duolingo as i love the website and the community but recently memrise has been much more helpful for my AS german so probably memrise
Your last statement made me giggle :biggrin:
I have used Duolingo but what sucks about it is that there are no daily goals to achieve. That, for me, is an awesome incentive to go on it everyday gone. Memrise was always the better app for me but my friends used Duolingo and I must admit, I liked the competition factor that it brought.

Did you achieve good grades using Memrise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ehhee :colondollar:
Yeah the goals are so motivating! :excited:
Ah but Memrise has that also :wink: you follow someone and it shows you the points you have compared to them on a leaderboard.
I have fun trying to beat my sister haha :tongue:

Yes :smile:
I prefer Memrise because it helps me expand my vocabulary and it's also helping me improve my French.
(edited 5 years ago)
Depends what you're using it for
Which is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Duolingo feels more enjoyable, there's a better "aura" and the graphics just make you feel good about your learning experience. Also, the community is amazing! :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest