The Student Room Group

Regretting my A-level choices :/

I am in y12 and taking History, German and English lit for A-level and really regretting my subject choices. History is going really well and I am getting an A, but in English and German I am stuck on Cs. Mocks are coming up, which will determine our university grades and I am so stressed. I wish I took Geography or Art instead of English because I am enjoying German although it is tough. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice, study tips or if they're in the same boat as me, idk I'm just feeling quite lost.
English is a hard a level, I think the main advice I’d give is look through all your past papers that you’ve done for English so far and see what you’re missing, see the ao’s that you have missed or are weak in and work on that. Write up a random essay and give it to your teacher, even if it’s just a paragraph. One thing I regretted not doing in year 12 was constantly writing essays and giving it to my teacher to see. I started doing this in year 13 and saw improvement, I know it sounds like I’m exaggerating but getting feedback from my teachers and seeing where I was going wrong genuinely helped me. As for your mocks are the actual as exams or your own school mocks? If it’s your own school mocks I’d try not to stress too much since I’m sure your school will give you another set of mocks in year 13.
Reply 2
Original post by eviedeeee
I am in y12 and taking History, German and English lit for A-level and really regretting my subject choices. History is going really well and I am getting an A, but in English and German I am stuck on Cs. Mocks are coming up, which will determine our university grades and I am so stressed. I wish I took Geography or Art instead of English because I am enjoying German although it is tough. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice, study tips or if they're in the same boat as me, idk I'm just feeling quite lost.

hi! i'm also in y12 doing german (aqa) and i am currently working at an a so i can give you some tips! for paper 1 the more vocab you know the better, i've used memrise and quizlet to cover all the vocab from the kerboodle textbook and using apps like duolingo help more for just general words/sayings. if your school uses the kerboodle textbook i'd recommend going through all of those activities, but i'd say they are slightly tougher than the actual papers. completing all the as papers as well is something i've done. for paper 2 once you're relatively comfortable with how to write an essay (make sure to be getting them marked and feedback) focus mainly on making essay plans that are quite in depth as a lot of points can be used across different questions. i study goodbye, lenin this year and der Vorleser next year if you're doing either of them. i find the speaking the easiest to revise for and whilst the exams are petrifying, once you've got it, it becomes a lot easier. the first key part to getting a higher grade is knowing facts (i probably learnt a lot more than i needed but i'm happy to share those if needed) and for the language, i'd say just going through as many speaking cards as possible helps so much with fluency and there will be a moment where you feel everything click but that comes sooner with more pratise. good luck :smile:
Original post by eviedeeee

Hi there :smile:

I'm really sorry to hear you are regretting your choices. A-Levels can be very tough and feeling lost at times can be a natural reaction to them!

Have you tried speaking to your teachers in English and German to ask them for some help with your study, or perhaps your peers? I'm sure some others in your classes will be feeling the same and would be willing to help. Reaching out for support is a great way to help with stress around exams.

It's also great to hear that History is going well, remember to be kind to yourself and to recognise your successes! Good luck with your upcoming mocks.

- Dan
Reply 4
Original post by variable-snitch
English is a hard a level, I think the main advice I’d give is look through all your past papers that you’ve done for English so far and see what you’re missing, see the ao’s that you have missed or are weak in and work on that. Write up a random essay and give it to your teacher, even if it’s just a paragraph. One thing I regretted not doing in year 12 was constantly writing essays and giving it to my teacher to see. I started doing this in year 13 and saw improvement, I know it sounds like I’m exaggerating but getting feedback from my teachers and seeing where I was going wrong genuinely helped me. As for your mocks are the actual as exams or your own school mocks? If it’s your own school mocks I’d try not to stress too much since I’m sure your school will give you another set of mocks in year 13.

Hi, thank you for your advice, in the past few weeks I have been doing past papers. I have been writing them in timed conditions, but planning them outside of this time, I think what I am most nervous about is trying to both plan and write a decent essay in the exam. It's good to know I am doing the right thing though by writing them, hopefully I'll start to improve, too. The exams will just internal, so you are right and I shouldn't stress as much and there will be more mocks, which is good, it's just these grades will count towards my uni applications.
Reply 5
Original post by StudentMinds Rep
Hi there :smile:

I'm really sorry to hear you are regretting your choices. A-Levels can be very tough and feeling lost at times can be a natural reaction to them!

Have you tried speaking to your teachers in English and German to ask them for some help with your study, or perhaps your peers? I'm sure some others in your classes will be feeling the same and would be willing to help. Reaching out for support is a great way to help with stress around exams.

It's also great to hear that History is going well, remember to be kind to yourself and to recognise your successes! Good luck with your upcoming mocks.

- Dan

Hi, thanks for the support, I have spoken to the teachers, who are convinced that with practice I will achieve the grades I want. It just seems very overwhelming, and I don't feel like I have the ability to get the grades required for my dream uni. As it happens, half of my english class regret taking the subject for A-level, so it does really help to know that I am not the only one, but I haven't thought about asking others in my class for advice, but I think I will do that, thank you.
Reply 6
Original post by imclx
hi! i'm also in y12 doing german (aqa) and i am currently working at an a so i can give you some tips! for paper 1 the more vocab you know the better, i've used memrise and quizlet to cover all the vocab from the kerboodle textbook and using apps like duolingo help more for just general words/sayings. if your school uses the kerboodle textbook i'd recommend going through all of those activities, but i'd say they are slightly tougher than the actual papers. completing all the as papers as well is something i've done. for paper 2 once you're relatively comfortable with how to write an essay (make sure to be getting them marked and feedback) focus mainly on making essay plans that are quite in depth as a lot of points can be used across different questions. i study goodbye, lenin this year and der Vorleser next year if you're doing either of them. i find the speaking the easiest to revise for and whilst the exams are petrifying, once you've got it, it becomes a lot easier. the first key part to getting a higher grade is knowing facts (i probably learnt a lot more than i needed but i'm happy to share those if needed) and for the language, i'd say just going through as many speaking cards as possible helps so much with fluency and there will be a moment where you feel everything click but that comes sooner with more pratise. good luck :smile:

Hello! Thank you so much for your tips, I am doing similar things to you when it comes to revision, so hopefully that means that I'll eventually get a better grade. I'm also studying 'Goodbye, Lenin!' and 'Der Vorleser' and although I don't have time before my mocks to in depth study plans before my mock, I am planning on doing some over the summer, so that's good to know it's useful. I'm so relieved that we don't have a speaking exam as part of our mock, so I haven't been focusing on it at the minute. But it is definitely the scariest aspect for me, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that. I will follow your advice when it comes to speaking revision in y13. I'd be really grateful to have some of the stats you found, only if you're entirely okay with sharing them? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest