The Student Room Group

how to improve french listening and reading?

I take GCSE French, (year 11) and am fab and the writing and speaking but listening and reading REALLY (and I mean REALLY) pull me down. I have practice books and stuff but I don't think i understand enough of the stuff to even have a good attempt at many of the questions. Any guidance?
Reply 1
Original post by bigmdif
I take GCSE French, (year 11) and am fab and the writing and speaking but listening and reading REALLY (and I mean REALLY) pull me down. I have practice books and stuff but I don't think i understand enough of the stuff to even have a good attempt at many of the questions. Any guidance?

For reading, I would advice using seneca(or any other website/revision guide) to get key vocabulary and then making sure you know the vocabulary really well. This way even if something unknown to you comes up on the reading, you would be able to figure out what it is by knowing the words around it. Another tip is to learn words like cependant, mais, donc, sans, avec because they normally come up for like negative or positive questions.

Idk about listening cos I'm failing listening really badly as well like it would bring my overall grade down by 2 so if you do find out something do lmk.
Reply 2
Original post by bigmdif

Hi personally I didn't take French but as it is also a MFL I think it will be similar.
Something I did to improve listening is that I listened to Spanish music and I first attempted to translate the song myself and then I would compare that to the translation online. Reading can be improved by reading books in languages and when you come across any words you don't know you try translate them. Memrise is an app which tests your vocabulary skills and motivates you through the use of leaderboards and when you use the app a lot to revise then features of having memrise pro get unlocked and you essentially get given a trial.
All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending