The Student Room Group

I hate gcse english language and literature so f*** much

I SIMPLY DONT KNOW HOW TO DO WELL IN GCSE ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND GCSE ENGLISH LITERATURE I HAVE BEEN WATCHING MR BRUFF AND HAVE LIKE 9 REVISION GUIDES FOR LITERATURE ALONE I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN AT A GRADE 5 (GRADE C) SINCE YEAR 10 AND MY GCSES ARE APPROACHING REALLY SOON. ENGLISH IS GIVING ME SO MANY BREAKDOWNS. HONESTLY IM FINE WITH ALL THE OTHER SUBJECTS BECAUSE I AM PREDICTED 10A* 2C'S (THE 2 C'S ARE BOTH FOR ENGLISH) SO IM NOT DUMB OR ANYTHING JUST AT ENGLISH AND I PERSONALLY REALLY WANT TO GET A 7 FOR LANGUAGE AND 6 PREFERABLY 7 FOR LITERATURE TOO. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HLEP ME AND GIVE ME TIPS ON HOW TO QUICKLY IMPROVE ON ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE?? Also so sorry for the capital letters but I am so angry and sad right now:frown: I have so much going in my family and i have been diagnosed with health problems and these stupid english exams are making me even more stressed, i hope u understand before u start getting angry.

Scroll to see replies

Same! Though all my school seems to be barely passing in the new system and none of the teachers have a clue either. They keep giving us question structure advice stuff but that's it:frown:(
Reply 2
Original post by Idku
I SIMPLY DONT KNOW HOW TO DO WELL IN GCSE ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND GCSE ENGLISH LITERATURE I HAVE BEEN WATCHING MR BRUFF AND HAVE LIKE 9 REVISION GUIDES FOR LITERATURE ALONE I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN AT A GRADE 5 (GRADE C) SINCE YEAR 10 AND MY GCSES ARE APPROACHING REALLY SOON. ENGLISH IS GIVING ME SO MANY BREAKDOWNS. HONESTLY IM FINE WITH ALL THE OTHER SUBJECTS BECAUSE I AM PREDICTED 10A* 2C'S (THE 2 C'S ARE BOTH FOR ENGLISH) SO IM NOT DUMB OR ANYTHING JUST AT ENGLISH AND I PERSONALLY REALLY WANT TO GET A 7 FOR LANGUAGE AND 6 PREFERABLY 7 FOR LITERATURE TOO. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HLEP ME AND GIVE ME TIPS ON HOW TO QUICKLY IMPROVE ON ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE?? Also so sorry for the capital letters but I am so angry and sad right now:frown: I have so much going in my family and i have been diagnosed with health problems and these stupid english exams are making me even more stressed, i hope u understand before u start getting angry.

If you're doing this much revision and are still getting low grades, it must be your exam technique. Try looking at some mark schemes from english paast papers and examiner's report to find out what they are looking for.
I do relatively well in English so if you'd like you could always pm me with answers you have written and I could take a look and try to give you some feedback?
Original post by Idku

Omg wow, this is 100% relatable! I have the exact same frustration and problem, Mr Bruff does not help at all for me. Mr Salles helped quite a bit but still havent got that 7 yet that I've been wanting since year 10!
Original post by mdnvmpr
If you're doing this much revision and are still getting low grades, it must be your exam technique. Try looking at some mark schemes from english paast papers and examiner's report to find out what they are looking for.
I do relatively well in English so if you'd like you could always pm me with answers you have written and I could take a look and try to give you some feedback?

Hi there. I'm also getting a C grade and when I raised my concerns to my teacher, she said she's erring at marking lower rather than higher to avoid rising high hopes. Can I please pm you if I need help? Thank you.
I swear to god, the English language coursework saved me. I would definitely have gotten an F.
Reply 6
Original post by Zonyali123
Hi there. I'm also getting a C grade and when I raised my concerns to my teacher, she said she's erring at marking lower rather than higher to avoid rising high hopes. Can I please pm you if I need help? Thank you.

Yeah of course.
I'm an English degree student heading for a 2:1, 2 x B grades at GCSE and C at A-Level, if anyone would like some help I'm more than happy to receive PM's x
Original post by princessmaire80
I'm an English degree student heading for a 2:1, 2 x B grades at GCSE and C at A-Level, if anyone would like some help I'm more than happy to receive PM's x

Thank you ever so much.
Original post by princessmaire80

Hello. I don't think I can send you attachments via pm so I am posting my work on her. Can you please pm me with feedback. Just to let you know, the first 'which' in paragraph five should be 'this' and 'street' should have a full stop at the end. Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello. I don't think I can send you attachments via pm so I am posting my work on her. Can you please pm me with feedback. Thank you.
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Sure- I'll have a look and then drop you a PM. 😊
Hello. I don't think I can send you attachments via pm so I am posting my work on her. Can you please pm me with feedback. Thank you.
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

I have been taught not to use the first person singular during the analysis, but much rather things like "XYZ evokes the feeling of ABC in the reader through..." or "through this one could infer that...". We have been told this sound much more professional and should score better with the examiner.

This rule should not apply to questions which ask you to answer the question 'personally'.

Ps. I received an A* in English Language and an A in English Literature in 2016 for my IGCSEs.
I don't do english a level but I'm more than happy to help. I went from 2 x Ds in my January mocks to an A and a B in my real summer exams. Message me if you want any advice.
Original post by Mac117
I have been taught not to use the first person singular during the analysis, but much rather things like "XYZ evokes the feeling of ABC in the reader through..." or "through this one could infer that...". We have been told this sound much more professional and should score better with the examiner.

This rule should not apply to questions which ask you to answer the question 'personally'.

Ps. I received an A* in English Language and an A in English Literature in 2016 for my IGCSEs.

I'm very pleased for you that you received an A*. This question asks my reaction, so I thought it would be correct to write in the first person, as it's my reaction they are asking for.
Original post by Shiba_Inu
I don't do english a level but I'm more than happy to help. I went from 2 x Ds in my January mocks to an A and a B in my real summer exams. Message me if you want any advice.

Oh I'm really happy for you. Well done. I hope I pass.
Using the first person would be appropriate here.
Your expression and vocabulary are a bit simple, if I am to be brutally honest. It's not bad, just not very sophisticated. Your sentence construction is monotonous, lacking subordinate clauses. You tend to tag on numerous coordinate clauses, using "and" too much. Just sayin is all....
Reply 17
I'm very pleased for you that you received an A*. This question asks my reaction, so I thought it would be correct to write in the first person, as it's my reaction they are asking for.

Regardless, you should not answer in first person, it has to be third person. You also repeat 'I get the impression' quite a fair few times, when you should try to mix it up.

PS A* in both GCSE English Lit and Language, 2014, and AS English Lit grade A in 2015, and I have completed English modules at university.
I agree with the advice of always using 3rd person. It seems strange, but it gives a more formal tone and will automatically make you look like a more able candidate to the marker.

If you havent already, I cannot recommend cgp revision guides enough. They give you model A* answers in them and these are especially useful for english lang as the questions are the same every year and you can just remember as much as you can of the model answer and play around with the context in the real thing. I don't know if you already mentioned it but what exam board are you taking? I took AQA last year

Thank you very much!

There's one thing I noticed:

You state that you “get the impression that Fermin has mixed feelings and because he feels scared and ‘amazed’ at the same time, I get the sense he cannot believe…”

Whilst this sentence is correct, you do not really “react” to the character, really. Your impressions are important, but your argument is rather lacking you never truly elaborate on why he has mixed feelings, much rather you jump as to what mixed feelings he experiences.

Since I have no experience in this play/novel I cannot really help you here that much (don’t have the time to read this, sorry!) but remember to always go back to the essay question. It’s crucial you show the marker what your thoughts are and how they effectively link to the stimulus question that way you will earn your marks.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest