The Student Room Group

GCSEs result

Oh my God, I need help, and trust me I will never forget who will help me in my life I have always been one of the top students since primary and secondary until Year 9 when my life completely changed, I moved from Italy to the UK. I joined at the end of Year 9 then I had a full Year 10 where I had a chance to study all the subjects that you can see below (I was also doing GCSE Maths H Tier until I did badly in my math mock in Year 11 where my teacher decided to put me on foundation, I hate UK's education system!) In Year 11 things started getting a bit difficult, I was doing triple science because I wanted to pursue medicine in the future, but then everything changed and I was left so disappointed by my results that you can see below, Believe me, I just cried all day and didn't eat anything I felt like a failure and that i was never gonna be able to do anything in my life. I chose to do 3 A levels: BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, AND PSYCHOLOGY. I failed so badly that when I went to enroll at my school for A levels they just told me that I was not gonna be able to take A levels only BTEC science + maths and English GCSE Resit. I was totally broken. These were not the grades that I expected and I know that I did well in my exams but maybe because of the grade boundaries and Rishi Sunak I was not able to get the grades I wanted and the A-level choices.
Now I don't know what to do next I wanted to do medicine at a good uni in the future but everything is ruined I wanna take my GCSEs again and get good grades. maths and English this winter and then science next summer. My school said that I could do Btec science and GCSE maths and english resit exams, and I was told that if I still wanted to do A levels I could resit the sciences GCSE next summer and then do BIOLOGY CHEMISTRY AND PSYCHOLOGY for my 2nd year of Sixth form but isn't that gonna be hard for me? I can't understand..... This was not my plan
Is it possible to study A levels that the school didn't offer me as a private candidate or will I still be required good GCSE grades in science?
Please help me, give me advice on what I should do next... I thought I could do an easier A level this year such as BTEC science I don't even know if thats hard and if I will be able to do it while I'm gonna be taking GCSE maths english and other subjects. Another question that I have for A levels Does Year 12 count as well I mean will be taking exams in Year 12 too which will be added to our final grade or is it just Year 13? All I wanted was to get good GCSE grades my 1st choice A levels so that I could do medicine and fulfil my dream. But I couldn't.

Business 4
Mathematics Option F 3
Italian Option H 9
Religious Studies A Option MA 5
Physics Tier H U
Geography 3
English Literature 4
English Language 2
Chemistry Tier H U
Biology Tier H 3
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by enthjmk5e664
Oh my God, I need help, and trust me I will never forget who will help me in my life I have always been one of the top students since primary and secondary until Year 9 when my life completely changed, I moved from Italy to the UK. I joined at the end of Year 9 then I had a full Year 10 where I had a chance to study all the subjects that you can see below (I was also doing GCSE Maths H Tier until I did badly in my math mock in Year 11 where my teacher decided to put me on foundation, I hate UK's education system!) In Year 11 things started getting a bit difficult, I was doing triple science because I wanted to pursue medicine in the future, but then everything changed and I was left so disappointed by my results that you can see below, Believe me, I just cried all day and didn't eat anything I felt like a failure and that i was never gonna be able to do anything in my life. I chose to do 3 A levels: BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, AND PSYCHOLOGY. I failed so badly that when I went to enroll at my school for A levels they just told me that I was not gonna be able to take A levels only BTEC science + maths and English GCSE Resit. I was totally broken. These were not the grades that I expected and I know that I did well in my exams but maybe because of the grade boundaries and Rishi Sunak I was not able to get the grades I wanted and the A-level choices.
Now I don't know what to do next I wanted to do medicine at a good uni in the future but everything is ruined I wanna take my GCSEs again and get good grades. maths and English this winter and then science next summer. My school said that I could do Btec science and GCSE maths and english resit exams, and I was told that if I still wanted to do A levels I could resit the sciences GCSE next summer and then do BIOLOGY CHEMISTRY AND PSYCHOLOGY for my 2nd year of Sixth form but isn't that gonna be hard for me? I can't understand..... This was not my plan
Is it possible to study A levels that the school didn't offer me as a private candidate or will I still be required good GCSE grades in science?
Please help me, give me advice on what I should do next... I thought I could do an easier A level this year such as BTEC science I don't even know if thats hard and if I will be able to do it while I'm gonna be taking GCSE maths english and other subjects. Another question that I have for A levels Does Year 12 count as well I mean will be taking exams in Year 12 too which will be added to our final grade or is it just Year 13? All I wanted was to get good GCSE grades my 1st choice A levels so that I could do medicine and fulfil my dream. But I couldn't.

Business 4
Mathematics Option F 3
Italian Option H 9
Religious Studies A Option MA 5
Physics Tier H U
Geography 3
English Literature 4
English Language 2
Chemistry Tier H U
Biology Tier H 3

Before deciding what the best course of action would be, I think you should do a little "what went wrong" post-mortem. Otherwise you risk finding yourself in exactly the same situation in 12 months time.

You say that you arrived in the UK from Italy at the end of year 9. Was being taught in English an issue for you? Your written English (in this post) seems good to me, so I assume not. But that may have been the results of two years of trying to come to terms with a language barrier. Was that an issue? Was there any other issue? Is the school particularly bad? (How did other pupils do?)

You say you "did badly in my math mock in Year 11". What action did you take at that point, to improve your Maths? Your teacher was sufficiently concerned that they moved you from higher tier to foundation tier. But what did you do? (Had your teacher not done that, by the way, you wouldn't have a Maths GCSE right now as there is no grade 3 in higher tier Maths).

You also say that, "In Year 11 things started getting a bit difficult". Why was that? Was it the work which was tough, or were there other factor involved?

I guess I'm trying to establish two things:
(1) Are you actively taking responsibility for your education? Or are you passively expecting teachers to push knowledge into your head?
(2) If two years of study has resulted in an English Language grade 2 and a Mathematics grade 3, what are you expectations in your quest to "take my GCSEs again and get good grades. maths and English this winter"?

Those resits will be in November (between 7th and 13th). That's about 11 weeks away, which really isn't very long at all. If you focused entirely on these two GCSEs you might stand a chance.

The same applies to your science subjects. Two years of study got you Physics U, Chemistry U, Biology 3. What are you expectations if you focused entirely on them from November onward? What grades would you be expecting / hoping for? You were in higher tier for those science subjects. Was that because your teachers felt you capable? Or because you objected to being in foundation tier? If they thought you capable, what went wrong?

I'd abandon your plan to "study A levels that the school didn't offer me as a private candidate". Make this coming year a GCSE resit year, and try as hard as you can to get the best grades you can. Hopefully, you'll be in a much better situation this time next year, and can move on with your A level (or BTEC) studies.

Good luck! :smile:

P.S. The grade boundaries were set this year such that roughly the same proportion of candidates got each grade as that did in 2019 (and years prior to that). The grade boundaries this year weren't especially hash; they've just been returned to normal levels. And I've no idea what Rishi Sunak is getting the blame for.
Reply 2
I'm in the same situation as him... This november I'm going to be entirely focused on these 2 GCSES
Reply 3
Is it possible if i get top grades on these resits i can apply to a diff sixth form etc
Original post by Typist133
Is it possible if i get top grades on these resits i can apply to a diff sixth form etc

That would depend on the entry requirements of the other sixth form(s), but potentially yes.

When you checking entry requirements, double-check there aren't any age issues too (as you'll be a year older than most at the time you enter sixth form).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending