The Student Room Group

MATHS GCSE was EASIER than ENGLISH GCSE

add yes or no to the chat to share your opinion :smile:

Emily <3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on the candidate. For me, it’s true.
Yes, maths is black and white. English is not. But to be fair, both were a piece of ****.
agreed. i prefer following memorized instructions than having nothing to go off of
I wholeheartedly agree. The english mark scheme is so vague, you just gotta waffle at this point.
Reply 5
For Edexcel definitely not, I found the maths papers so difficult
Reply 6
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
add yes or no to the chat to share your opinion :smile:

Emily <3

No...
English was very easy. The lit papers were luscious (i did Macbeth, animal farm, A Christmas Carol and power and conflict) and the mark scheme is a lot easier as it is like a ladder that's difficult to fall back down if you keep writing.
I'm only going to get like a 7 in maths.
Original post by user1787
No...
English was very easy. The lit papers were luscious (i did Macbeth, animal farm, A Christmas Carol and power and conflict) and the mark scheme is a lot easier as it is like a ladder that's difficult to fall back down if you keep writing.
I'm only going to get like a 7 in maths.

This is a good metaphor of the marking scheme I like that, I hadn’t thought of it like that before ?
A 7 is amazing is maths !!!
I didn’t get anywhere near that when I did mine 😂
Sounds like you have English nailed :smile:
Best wishes
Emily
Original post by Äries
It depends on the candidate. For me, it’s true.

How come you found it easier ?
Original post by Guru Jason
Yes, maths is black and white. English is not. But to be fair, both were a piece of ****.

If maths and English wasn’t your thing how were the rest of the exams ?
Original post by *LifeHappens*
I wholeheartedly agree. The english mark scheme is so vague, you just gotta waffle at this point.

Genuinely think waffle is the thing that gets you the marks ! I always struggled because maths wasn’t any waffle. I was always so annoyed there was only one right answer !
emily
Original post by k5144
For Edexcel definitely not, I found the maths papers so difficult

the whole thing ? Or was there some questions that felt ok ?
maths is easier, but i got really lucky with my papers, had to write about mickey for blood brothers, the supernatural for ACC, romeo (i think) for romeo and juliet, couldn’t be easier

also the unseen poems were a godsend (eduqas btw)
English was the bane of my existence
Yes

Zero revision done and passed (grade 5, close to a grade 6), tells you all you need to know. Same can not be said for English (had to put tons of effort to get the same grade).
Original post by Talkative Toad
Yes

Zero revision done and passed (grade 5, close to a grade 6), tells you all you need to know. Same can not be said for English (had to put tons of effort to get the same grade).

i mean at gcse it’s mostly memory of facts and quotes and methods and stuff, you barely need to understand it, just know it (or at least that’s how i saw it lol)
Original post by harlz_chalamet
English was the bane of my existence

Yes, English Literature especially for me.
Original post by illegallylexi
i mean at gcse it’s mostly memory of facts and quotes and methods and stuff, you barely need to understand it, just know it (or at least that’s how i saw it lol)

Yeah GCSEs are a memory game.

I struggled with English, never Maths.

Didn’t need to revise for a Maths exam (I should have in order to get a better grade as I definitely could have done better if I had put in (more) effort), English I needed to revise a lot and put in a lot of effort just to pass (I wasn’t passing English prior to the actual exams).
GCSE maths was definitely the easiest out of maths, English language and English literature.

I suppose in my case, that is purely attributable to my lack of interest in English literature (which just felt like an entirely pointless qualification at the time) and English language (god I hated the creative writing side of the course) so naturally I was less inclined to put in the effort for either subject.
Yes, I understand maths but English was so subjective and I found I often had the 'wrong' opinion so I would be marked down.

Quick Reply

Latest