The Student Room Group

Was University Really Worth It ?

I would just like to start a discussion here, to see if people agree/disagree and generally understand other people's points of views. I am currently finishing my 3rd year of university studying Maths. As I am coming to an end I personally can say wow university is so pointless. I am just speaking from my own personal experience here, first of all I never attend lectures because they are pointless and I learn better on my own, even during my A-levels , I never understood anything in class, but then I would go through it alone and find that it is actually pretty easy. Same thing when I go to lectures, nothing makes any ****ing sense , until I actually go through it. I've attended lectures , where the lecturer has worked at pretty prestigious universities , and guess what? they are rubbish too ! I can only really speak for my course, but that **** is worthless, I picked it because I really enjoyed studying for at it during my A levels. Then I get to a point now and think when will I ever use this ********. After attending university , I have come to the conclusion that university is only worth IT for doctors, lawyers, engineers and whatever other profession you actually need a degree to do. In my opinion the only use of my degree is that it allows me to apply for better jobs , since good jobs (or jobs that I feel are "good") always specify "minimum 2:1 degree " . So it opens doors in that sense, however I have learnt absolutely ****ing nothing. Also , to the others that study maths, that ******** about 'oh it helps you have a logical way of thinking' , I've possessed that logical approach when I studied for A-level maths, didn't need a degree for it. Again this is just my opinion, I personally would never pay 27,000 pounds if the student loan structure was not how it is, I have not gained any real life skills like public speaking , negotiation , adapting, communication, just how to pass pointless exams . Let me know what your opinion is , what your university experience was like, even want to hear the positive ones and why . Just want to have a general discussion to gain some insight on other peoples opinions on university. Thank you.
Reply 1
Yes it is pointless.

But you have to go anyway.
Sorry your uni experience is not working out for you. I've had a positive experience which I'd like to share.

Original post by peacenlove33
....After attending university , I have come to the conclusion that university is only worth IT for doctors, lawyers, engineers and whatever other profession you actually need a degree to do. In my opinion the only use of my degree is that it allows me to apply for better jobs , since good jobs (or jobs that I feel are "good":wink: always specify "minimum 2:1 degree " . So it opens doors in that sense, however I have learnt absolutely ****ing nothing.

I don't think its worthless. If you have a degree, you can apply for non-degree jobs as well as degree level ones - this widens the type and variety of jobs you can apply for. If you don't have a degree, you can only get low paid jobs and it's harder for you to prove you have what it takes to be promoted to the better jobs (even if you are skilled/smart enough).

Also , to the others that study maths, that ******** about 'oh it helps you have a logical way of thinking' , I've possessed that logical approach when I studied for A-level maths, didn't need a degree for it.

You need the degree to prove you have a logical way of thinking and you can do maths at uni level. Especially if you want a job where they only hire graduates.

.....I personally would never pay 27,000 pounds if the student loan structure was not how it is, I have not gained any real life skills like public speaking , negotiation , adapting, communication, just how to pass pointless exams .

I might have agreed with you on the ridiculous cost before I went to uni. But uni was really good for me. I can do public speaking but uni got me to do it better. I'm now giving talks to professional people. Negotiation: try persuarding the lazier members of your group to turn in a group presentation/work. I had to do this in order to pass the module. I got a distinction for this and an invitation (students were hand picked by the maths professor) to take part in a IT competition which I won.

And arguing your point of view in more professional way (not like the folks on TSR:biggrin:) that will get you jobs, and respect. I communicate better and I act more professional just by hanging around professional people - my study group of 40 people, mature students, and the professors who run my classes.

The fact that I'm in uni helped me get my job in IT within a few months of starting uni. The interviewer was really impressed by the stuff I did in uni - using algorithms in R, presenting statistical analysis, writing complex code to soleve real world problems, and that I act and look like I'm prepped for the work place. Not just that, I'm prepped for their work place.

My work place hires graduates in Accountancy, Engineering, Maths, Computer Science, Business Intelligence, Chemistry, Modern Languages and Physics. Plus one or 2 PhDs. Most folks have degrees and substantial work experience.

I also point out that the EU takes degrees more seriously than the UK. Should you want a job there or want to apply for citizenship in a EU country. Having a degree will make officials look more favourably on your visa application and can shorten the qualifying period for full citizenship. Far East countries give more respect and preferential treatment if you have a degree.

Whether you love or hate your degree, I think you should complete it with at least a 2.1. That way you can use the degree if you need to in the future, or omit it from your CV if you don't.:wink:
Thank you for your comment .Glad you had a positive university experience . I actually agree with many of your points , as I mentioned before that a degree does open doors in terms of the jobs you can apply for . However , I think the education system needs a whole lot of changing , if I am paying 27k , for a self-taught degree there's something wrong there . Out of curiosity what degree did yo do ?

Again, thank you for adding to the discussion.
Reply 4
I agree with the OP. I study English Literature at a Russell Group and I didn't actually want to go to university. I felt just because I got good grades and the fact that my parents never went to university, I was given no other options. I'm in the first year and my lectures have been sometimes interesting but mostly pointless and irrelevant to my exams or developing any kind of employable skills. I honestly could learn everything from these lectures on my own without spending £27,000+.

Original post by xianlong
Lol so every single lecturer ever is trash according to you. If everywhere u go it smells like dog ****, maybe check under ur shoe. Fool

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always wonder what is the point of leaving comments like this. Not conducive to the debate at all.
Lol so every single lecturer ever is trash according to you. If everywhere u go it smells like dog ****, maybe check under ur shoe. Fool

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you read properly , I never said that . Plus I put emphasis on the fact that this is based solely on my experience . If the system was good then tutoring would not be such a big business in the UK . You have people out there charging like £50 plus an hour for university lessons ! I see a problem with that. If you had no problem with lecturers then good for you bro . Why are you here in this discussion making negative comments. I'd appreciate it if you get your dog **** vibes out of this discussion.
Reply 6
Most Science Jobs require a high level of problem-solving that you can only obtain at University, usually via Ph.D.

Chemistry in particular as it would be next to impossible to obtain enough laboratory and Spectroscopy experience outside of university. Unless you happen to own your own £1m laboratory with Supercooled Bruker Magnets and a lab technician. Yes you can get 1 year placements but they usually require you to be studying and they're only one year. It takes years of experience to become a good Synthetic Chemist. One that can both theorise and experiment.
dont @ me about spreaking dead vibes when ur whole post is just u havin a fat moan lmao

I was starting a discussion on my point of view bro , and if you disagree , your more than welcome to put forward your opinion in a mature way . Again if you read properly , I wanted to gain some insight on others uni experience . But you just come through with dumbass disrespectful vibes , your not even adding anything to the discussion , just being disrespectful . Again , if you have a point of view , your more than welcome to express it in a respectful way . If not , then get the **** out of here with that disrespectful **** bro .
(edited 7 years ago)
Looking back, I wish I had read a useful subject: e.g. Engineering or Computer Science.
Thank you for your comment .Glad you had a positive university experience . I actually agree with many of your points , as I mentioned before that a degree does open doors in terms of the jobs you can apply for . However , I think the education system needs a whole lot of changing , if I am paying 27k , for a self-taught degree there's something wrong there . Out of curiosity what degree did yo do ?

Again, thank you for adding to the discussion.

I'm doing IT/Maths. Slightly more IT than Maths, but there's a lot of Maths.

I agree with you about the cost. It almost put me off coz I didn't want to be in debt for the rest of my life. Unfortunately getting into IT is very hard without a degree. You'd have to do a lot of unpaid voluntary work / internships, and many places still won't give you paid work afterwards. It's exploitation and it's disgusting.

Ignore the neg comments from the idiots. Sometimes you can do everything right and still gets f*cked. Keeping trying and eventually you will find your way into your career.
Yeah true so a degree is helpful in that sense . Appreciate the advice ! Good luck with the rest of your course .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending