The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Music Thread 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Hiya! This is an amazing exam thread - I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2017

If you see any other exam threads threads that aren't in the directory yet - let me know by either tagging me in, or linking it in the directory and I can add it in! You can also find discussions for your other exams there.

If any of your other exams aren't on there yet - feel free to make the exam thread for it yourself

Good luck in your exams
Reply 21
Just bumped into a pretty interesting website with some useful stuff for dictation, not looked into too much of it but it's apparently got mp3s and some sheet music stuff, so have a look into it if it's of any use http://dictation.ccdmd.qc.ca/telechargement.php
Just finished my counterpoint technical study, has anyone else done it? How did you find it?
Original post by beth.stoney
Just finished my counterpoint technical study, has anyone else done it? How did you find it?

Did it a little over a week ago, along with the Bach chorale. In terms of key and chromaticism, it was straightforward but the angular nature of the opening melody wasn't especially conducive to a really memorable line (but some of theirs wasn't especially memorable either haha). It's very subjective but as long as you've avoided parallels, used sequence and imitation, followed the figuring/write correct figuring and used mainly 3rds/6ths should be ok. :smile:

now I have dictation to "look forward to"...... great
Original post by auburnstar
Did it a little over a week ago, along with the Bach chorale. In terms of key and chromaticism, it was straightforward but the angular nature of the opening melody wasn't especially conducive to a really memorable line (but some of theirs wasn't especially memorable either haha). It's very subjective but as long as you've avoided parallels, used sequence and imitation, followed the figuring/write correct figuring and used mainly 3rds/6ths should be ok. :smile:

now I have dictation to "look forward to"...... great

Yeah I thought pretty much the same, had a few issues with writing in my own figuring and I didn't have enough spare time to check to the extent that I would have liked, but hopefully it will be okay - still infinitely preferable to doing composition haha.
Original post by beth.stoney
still infinitely preferable to doing composition haha.

definitely - marking for compositions is notoriously all over the place
Reply 26
Hey, just wondering, does anyone have access to the specific recordings of the Rag and the Agkebor Dance for the Edexcel Text Book?
Thank you all for running this thread. I'm taking the updated course which requires other pieces to referenced and compared to in the extended essay questions and so all these pieces make great wider listening.
Original post by Fox Corner
Hiya! This is an amazing exam thread - I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2017

If you see any other exam threads threads that aren't in the directory yet - let me know by either tagging me in, or linking it in the directory and I can add it in! You can also find discussions for your other exams there.

If any of your other exams aren't on there yet - feel free to make the exam thread for it yourself

Good luck in your exams

Hi,

I'm considering running a similar thread for the new EDEXCEL Music AS/A level for teaching from sept. 2016.

How do you link it to exams directory?
Original post by T.Wilson
Hi,

I'm considering running a similar thread for the new EDEXCEL Music AS/A level for teaching from sept. 2016.

How do you link it to exams directory?

Just tag me in the actual thread or link to it in the directory here and I'll add it in :h:
Reply 30
Anyone got any 36 mark essay question predictions?
Original post by Tobolon
Anyone got any 36 mark essay question predictions?

In 2012 they had:
a) Compare and contrast the harmony and tonality in the Shostakovich, Mozart and Corelli
b) Compare and contrast the texture and melody in the Sweelinck, Berlioz and Ram Narayan

so I doubt those same ones will come up if that helps
Judging from what Hogree said, @Tobolon for predictions Stravinsky and Cage are likely to come up because they're popular OR they could include Pheloung (never come up) and Mozart (come up once)
Reply 33
I reckon Structure and Rhythm (including metre) for Mozart, Rag and Cage would be a good one.
Original post by Tobolon
I reckon Structure and Rhythm (including metre) for Mozart, Rag and Cage would be a good one.

Seems fairly likely to be fair although there's not *that* much you can say for rhythm in the Mozart - there's probably just 5 points with references.
Reply 35
Original post by auburnstar
Seems fairly likely to be fair although there's not *that* much you can say for rhythm in the Mozart - there's probably just 5 points with references.

Yes you're right. I tired this as a practise essay and the Mozart rhythm Paragraph was definitely the weakest
Does anyone have any tips for recollecting information quickly about the set works for the essay questions? The information's all in my head but it can take a while to actually bring it to the surface and I don't want that to be the reason that I don't do as well as I could in the exam

Also any essay predictions??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by Starkidemmax
Does anyone have any tips for recollecting information quickly about the set works for the essay questions? The information's all in my head but it can take a while to actually bring it to the surface and I don't want that to be the reason that I don't do as well as I could in the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only tip I would have is to note down about four points for each aspect (Rhythm, Harmony, Melody, Texture, Structure, Tonality, Instrumentation) and try to remember the four points for each aspect - at least, for the set works under Instrumental Music. Perhaps, giving yourself certain "trigger bars" in the score to help remind you of facts might also be a way?

If I was to hesitate, I would rule out the combinations last time these set works were out. So I wouldn't expect Shostakovich, Corelli or Mozart to be asked about Harmony and Tonality, and I wouldn't expect Sweelinck, Berlioz or Rag to be asked about texture and melody. And since Cage was left out last time, I would expect him to be at least one of the questions.
Original post by Starkidemmax

What I do for 13-markers is do subheadings with bullets for each so structure, instrumentation and texture, harmony and tonality, melody, rhythm and metre and try and aim for a total of 11 points with bar references.

structure
point 1 (illustration)
point 2 (illustration

instrumentation and texture
point 1 (illustration)
point 2 (illustration)

etc

For the 36-markers I draw up a table of the three works on the top and two features on the left. Then in each "box" I aim for about 4-5 points with references and jot these down really quickly, checking the score for bar references for each.

It may be worthwhile looking through the Edexcel notes and really condensing them to the simplest form eg melody-dominated homophony at opening of Berlioz (eg b4) becomes mel dom hom (eg b4). Mnemonics and memory tunes work for some people as well. Practice is key though - the more you practice essay in timed conditions, the more it sticks in your brain. :smile:
Original post by hogree
And since Cage was left out last time, I would expect him to be at least one of the questions.

damned Cage :shakecane:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending