The Student Room Group

AQA Darwin Monkey question B1 exam

So for the question where Darwin was drawn as a monkey, this threw me and I put that it was to mock Darwin as people didn't believe his theory. Apparently according to Wikipedia, it wasn't. It was apparently to show our ancestoral links with monkeys. Would my point have got a mark or maybe not?
I put it was because he believed humans evolved from monkeys is that right?
Original post by qwertyuiop99

I put the same
Reply 3

Yeah according to Wikipedia, I think I got it wrong.
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure the answer was something along the lines of the fact that they were mocking him as they didn't accept his theory.
Original post by Sam_C_
So for the question where Darwin was drawn as a monkey, this threw me and I put that it was to mock Darwin as people didn't believe his theory. Apparently according to Wikipedia, it wasn't. It was apparently to show our ancestoral links with monkeys. Would my point have got a mark or maybe not?

I put that they drew him like that because they thought his theories lacked evidence, so they mocked him

But then again, when I look at that answer it sounds wrong

Darwin's thesis directly refutes religious texts and therefore challenges the very foundation of religion and in particular the dominant Christian faith of a Victorian United Kingdom, Roman Catholicism and Judaism.

Drawing Darwin as a monkey is literally mocking and ridiculing him by inferring he is an idiot no better than the dumb animal of his claims. It is also deliberately confusing his thesis for digestion by a religiously indoctrinated population that believes in "blind faith" where (according to religion) the true accounts for creation and evolution are stated in religious texts, namely the Torah and Old Testament: that we are all descended form two humans created by God: Adam and Eve.

Darwin did not believe humans evolved from monkeys.

Darwin postulated that humans and apes shared a common ancestry. These are extracts of letters written by Darwin:

"If the anthropomorphous apes be admitted to form a natural sub-group... we may infer that some ancient member of the anthropomorphous sub-group gave birth to man."

"It is therefore probable that Africa was formerly inhabited by extinct apes closely allied to the gorilla and chimpanzee; and as these two species are now man's nearest allies, it is somewhat more probable that our early progenitors lived on the African continent than elsewhere."

Darwin did not believe humans are descended from monkeys, but that humans and simians share a common ancestry. Think of it like your cousins and you are descendants of the same grandparents but in the case of evolution, the common ancestor between us and apes goes back hundreds of thousands or even millions of generations.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by bliminheck
I put that they drew him like that because they thought his theories lacked evidence, so they mocked him

But then again, when I look at that answer it sounds wrong

That's what I go so we are in the same boat :smile: Even if that boat may be the titanic XD
I put that Darwin believed that we evolved from Apes or Chimps, and because this didn't agree with things like religion he was mocked. I put more than this but you get the idea. That picture was created to mock Darwin. People in Victorian society believed that the human body was perfect, due to things like the creation story.

I'm not sure whether that will be accepted because Darwin never said that humans evolved from monkeys,

but you might get the mark that others thought that Darwin said that humans did evolve from Monkeys
Reply 10
Original post by ThusDeath
I put that Darwin believed that we evolved from Apes or Chimps, and because this didn't agree with things like religion he was mocked. I put more than this but you get the idea. That picture was created to mock Darwin. People in Victorian society believed that the human body was perfect, due to things like the creation story.

So will just writing that he was mocked get me the mark as it was only one mark. Also, you guys all seem to know loads more than I do, you sound like you must have done really well with all that extra knowledge.
Original post by Sam_C_
So will just writing that he was mocked get me the mark as it was only one mark. Also, you guys all seem to know loads more than I do, you sound like you must have done really well with all that extra knowledge.

Yeah pretty much I think that should get you the mark. And you probably know a lot of it too, its just different schools teach different things... well differently. I think to solidify your mark you should say why they mocked him. However I wouldn't stress over a 1 mark question. :smile:
Original post by Sam_C_
That's what I go so we are in the same boat :smile: Even if that boat may be the titanic XD

guess im on that boat as well then.....yay.....
but i thought about the question for a solid 5 minutes and i saw the context of the question said they drew him as a cartoon in the 1800s (cant remember the exact year) so they had little understanding of genes and stuff so not many people accepted his theory at that time. oh well on my exam desk it said GCSEs are full of s*** so im not too phased
Original post by uberteknik
Darwin's thesis directly refutes religious texts and therefore challenges the very foundation of religion and in particular the dominant Christian faith of a Victorian United Kingdom, Roman Catholicism and Judaism.

Drawing Darwin as a monkey is literally mocking and ridiculing him by inferring he is an idiot no better than the dumb animal of his claims. It is also deliberately confusing his thesis for digestion by a religiously indoctrinated population that believes in "blind faith" where (according to religion) the true accounts for creation and evolution are stated in religious texts, namely the Torah and Old Testament: that we are all descended form two humans created by God: Adam and Eve.

Darwin postulated that humans and apes shared a common ancestry. These are extracts of letters written by Darwin:

"If the anthropomorphous apes be admitted to form a natural sub-group... we may infer that some ancient member of the anthropomorphous sub-group gave birth to man."

"It is therefore probable that Africa was formerly inhabited by extinct apes closely allied to the gorilla and chimpanzee; and as these two species are now man's nearest allies, it is somewhat more probable that our early progenitors lived on the African continent than elsewhere."

Darwin did not believe humans are descended from monkeys, but that humans and simians share a common ancestry. Think of it like your cousins and you are descendants of the same grandparents but in the case of evolution, the common ancestor between us and apes goes back hundreds of thousands or even millions of generations.
Im not sure whether this would be adequate for a 1 mark question. On page 125 of the AQA Text Book you will find the exact question and answer. You do make a good point on the mocking tone in the Victorian era. This could gain credibility however under the picture in the caption it suggests that the tone is quite positive as many were "interested in his ideas".
Reply 14
So could you say 'since he thought humans and monkeys were related'?
Reply 15
Original post by uberteknik

So could you say 'since he thought that humans and monkeys were related'?
Original post by Izzy_h3
So could you say 'since he thought that humans and monkeys were related'?
In a loose sense yes. If you put those words in the exam answer with no other context, then I'm not sure they would be enough to gain the mark. i.e. you would need to say why the concept of humans and apes being related was unacceptable to Victorian society.

e.g. something on the lines of:

Darwin's theory challenged the roots of the religious faith in Europe at that time, by asserting that humans and apes are descended from a common ancestor and not Adam and Eve as described in the first chapter of Genesis in the Old Testament.

Drawing him as a monkey is a way of attacking his character and ridiculing his work by associating it with the intelligence level of an animal in an attempt to destroy his credibility and maintain religious dominance.
well it was a 1 mark question so you could just get away with saying no one believed we shared a common ancestor with monkeys due to insufficient evidence

Quick Reply

Latest