The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Chemistry (7405) Exam Thread - June 13th, June 19th and June 27th

Haven't seen any of these so I thought I'd start one...

AQA A-LEVEL CHEMISTRY 7405 EXAM THREAD 2017

Exam Dates:

Paper 1 - June 13th 2017 (PM)

Paper 2 - June 19th 2017 (AM)

Paper 3 - June 27th 2017 (AM)

Link to Specification: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/chemistry/specifications/AQA-7404-7405-SP-2015.PDF

Revision Resources:

Youtube - E Rintoul: [url="https://www.youtube.com/user/MrERintoul"]

INCLUDES PRACTICALS: Youtube - Doc Clay: [url="https://www.youtube.com/user/DocClay1978"]

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Nice thread! I've added it to the Exam Directory 2017 - let me know if you make any more and I can add them in as well :h:
Reply 2
Original post by sbscx28
Haven't seen any of these so I thought I'd start one...

AQA A-LEVEL CHEMISTRY 7405 EXAM THREAD 2017

Exam Dates:

Paper 1 (AS content) - June 13th 2017 (PM)

Paper 2 (A2 content) - June 19th 2017 (AM)

Paper 3 (AS+A2) - June 27th 2017 (AM)

Link to Specification: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/chemistry/specifications/AQA-7404-7405-SP-2015.PDF

Revision Resources:

Youtube - E Rintoul: [url="https://www.youtube.com/user/MrERintoul"]

INCLUDES PRACTICALS: Youtube - Doc Clay: [url="https://www.youtube.com/user/DocClay1978"]

Paper 1 and 2 and 3 are mixed content its not divided in AS (Paper 1) or A2 (Paper 2). Check out the specification, it says that paper 1 is all relevant physical and inorganic chemistry we've learnt so far and that Paper 2 is physical and organic chemistry (It mentions the topic units in each paper). All relevant practical skills in involved in each paper but probably more heavily based in paper 3. Be careful its not structured like the biology exams, theyre doing it differently to the chemistry paper!!! Hope this hasn't affect you in terms of revision :s-smilie:
Reply 3
How's everyone doing with practical?
Which ones do we think are going to come up? :colone: Personally I think a titration question will likely come up, but I'm thinking maybe the EMF of an electrochemical cell will also come up?

Also, do we think practical questions will come up in every paper, or solely in paper 3?
Reply 4
Original post by *RHCP*
Paper 1 and 2 and 3 are mixed content its not divided in AS (Paper 1) or A2 (Paper 2). Check out the specification, it says that paper 1 is all relevant physical and inorganic chemistry we've learnt so far and that Paper 2 is physical and organic chemistry (It mentions the topic units in each paper). All relevant practical skills in involved in each paper but probably more heavily based in paper 3. Be careful its not structured like the biology exams, theyre doing it differently to the chemistry paper!!! Hope this hasn't affect you in terms of revision :s-smilie:

Oh my bad! I hadn't realised I'd wrote that - apologies to anyone who may have been mislead. Thanks for the heads up!
Reply 5
Original post by Gogregg
How's everyone doing with practical?
Which ones do we think are going to come up? :colone: Personally I think a titration question will likely come up, but I'm thinking maybe the EMF of an electrochemical cell will also come up?

Also, do we think practical questions will come up in every paper, or solely in paper 3?

Practicals aren't too bad :h:

Paper 3 isn't all practical tbh.. only about 20-30 marks of it.. The rest are MCQ and theory..

Have a look at RSC for some practicals + videos, and there's a few on youtube.

Yeah practicals are spread out.. one I'm 99% sure will come is Vanadium as it was the ISA of 2016

Titration will DEFINITELY come up imo.. and if people did bad on ISAs/EMPAs of 2016 - they may repeat some questions
Reply 6
Original post by sbscx28
Practicals aren't too bad :h:

Paper 3 isn't all practical tbh.. only about 20-30 marks of it.. The rest are MCQ and theory..

Have a look at RSC for some practicals + videos, and there's a few on youtube.

Yeah practicals are spread out.. one I'm 99% sure will come is Vanadium as it was the ISA of 2016

Titration will DEFINITELY come up imo.. and if people did bad on ISAs/EMPAs of 2016 - they may repeat some questions

Yeah, I don't think so either, but it's just a but of a pain learning them, and I'm semi notoriously bad at doing them :lol:
Yes but that's up to a quarter of the paper! But yes, thank you :h:

As in the oxidation states of vanadium? So add HCL to V2O5 to form VO2+, then use zinc to reduce it to V2+ basically? That wouldn't be too bad, but I think I definitely need to revise the questions where it asks you to calculate the oxidation state!

I love a good titration question, or a volumetric solution (although that was on the paper last year?) Would be perfect!

Thanks for your help!
Reply 7
Original post by Gogregg
Yeah, I don't think so either, but it's just a but of a pain learning them, and I'm semi notoriously bad at doing them :lol:
Yes but that's up to a quarter of the paper! But yes, thank you :h:

As in the oxidation states of vanadium? So add HCL to V2O5 to form VO2+, then use zinc to reduce it to V2+ basically? That wouldn't be too bad, but I think I definitely need to revise the questions where it asks you to calculate the oxidation state!

I love a good titration question, or a volumetric solution (although that was on the paper last year?) Would be perfect!

Thanks for your help!

Hahaha I was one mark off an A last year but being a ****ing dickhead - i lost 6 marks on titration, losing marks on concordance stuff... Stupid mistakes.

Learn practicals by doing ISA/EMPA papers

And yeah oxidation states and colours. Easy way to remember it in my opinion (VGBO):

+2 = Violet-lavender (V2+)
+3 = Green (V3+)
+4 = Blue (VO 2+)
+5 = Orange-yellow (VO2 +)
Reply 8
Original post by sbscx28
Hahaha I was one mark off an A last year but being a ****ing dickhead - i lost 6 marks on titration, losing marks on concordance stuff... Stupid mistakes.

Learn practicals by doing ISA/EMPA papers

And yeah oxidation states and colours. Easy way to remember it in my opinion (VGBO):

+2 = Violet-lavender (V2+)
+3 = Green (V3+)
+4 = Blue (VO 2+)
+5 = Orange-yellow (VO2 +)

If you think that's bad,I got the very first question completely wrong :lol: I was only one in my year to do that, and that's even with people that got 11 marks overall, across both papers :lol:

Thank you so much!
Reply 9
Original post by Gogregg
If you think that's bad,I got the very first question completely wrong :lol: I was only one in my year to do that, and that's even with people that got 11 marks overall, across both papers :lol:

Thank you so much!

I did the same lol. The Chromium electronic configuration...

I also made an error in the percentage error by multiplying by 100% instead of 100.

MOST ANNOYING THING IS THAT I WAS ONE MARK OFF AN A DAMMIT :biggrin:
Reply 10
Are you guys ready for paper 1 next week? Apparently the AS exams were not too bad.... :crossedf:
for the electronic structure of copper and chromium they donate 1 of their e- to the 3d subshell, do molybdenum, tungsten, silver and gold behave in the same way by donating 1 of their e- to the 4d subshell?
Reply 12
Original post by Salimshady007
for the electronic structure of copper and chromium they donate 1 of their e- to the 3d subshell, do molybdenum, tungsten, silver and gold behave in the same way by donating 1 of their e- to the 4d subshell?

I don't think we need to know them tbh
Reply 13
Original post by *RHCP*
Are you guys ready for paper 1 next week? Apparently the AS exams were not too bad.... :crossedf:

Can never be ready on this new spec :s-smilie:

The calculations are killer though.. i still can't do the mass spectrometer ones :colonhash:
I do wonder if there are going to be step by step stages for the coloured compound questions or if they're just going to dump a load of information and ask for the identities. Going to be interesting to see the EMF questions/ calculations that come up too ^^
Hi guys, what are your strongest and weakest areas for paper 1.
For me, it's gotta be electrode potentials. So if any of you have good websites that fully explain this, I will be grateful :smile: :smile:
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
I do wonder if there are going to be step by step stages for the coloured compound questions or if they're just going to dump a load of information and ask for the identities. Going to be interesting to see the EMF questions/ calculations that come up too ^^

I'd think that they'll go for longer form questions, rather than those that lead you through, that seems to be the trend recently :h:
I just hope there's not a percentage by mass question, for some reason, I can't do them :colondollar:

Original post by Stannis98
Hi guys, what are your strongest and weakest areas for paper 1.
For me, it's gotta be electrode potentials. So if any of you have good websites that fully explain this, I will be grateful :smile: :smile:

Probably my weakest area as well, but I think i might be alright? I dunno, I always appreciate help with it :lol:
Original post by Gogregg
I'd think that they'll go for longer form questions, rather than those that lead you through, that seems to be the trend recently :h:
I just hope there's not a percentage by mass question, for some reason, I can't do them :colondollar:

Probably my weakest area as well, but I think i might be alright? I dunno, I always appreciate help with it :lol:

That may well be the case :smile: There's still time! There's just quite a number of things that may come up that we'll just have to look out for on the day xD
Reply 18
The standard enthalpy of solution of ammonium chlroide is 15kjmol-1
ok.png

Any ideas on how to do this?
Reply 19
Original post by Mina_
The standard enthalpy of solution of ammonium chlroide is 15kjmol-1
ok.png

Any ideas on how to do this?

Is there anything else to the question? Like energy in or out of the system? Then you could use Q=mc deltaT
Edit: I've just seen the first part about enthalpy of solution. If you calculate the number of moles of ammonium chloride you can calculate the energy required to dissolve it.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest