The Student Room Group

Anyone Retaking old spec CHEMISTRY B SALTERS F332,F334 AND F335 in 2017

How is revision going?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I am retaking these as well. How did you find F332 today?
Original post by im on a boat
Hey, I am retaking these as well. How did you find F332 today?

THANKS , some one replied!

I thought it was hard and that's considering I pretty much got full ums in all past papers.

What about you? And do you know how others found it?
Also What did you put for the question about venus?

What did you put for the mole calculation ones?

It was a hard paper man...
Original post by Kira Yagami
THANKS , some one replied!

I thought it was hard and that's considering I pretty much got full ums in all past papers.

What about you? And do you know how others found it?

Yeah I agree, it was quite different from past papers wasn't it? I only know one person that sat the paper and he found it difficult too. Do you remember any of the calculations?
Yeah I agree, it was quite different from past papers wasn't it? I only know one person that sat the paper and he found it difficult too. Do you remember any of the calculations?

think I remember getting something like 703 (or something for the bond enthalpy one) , for the mole one I remember for the last part I got something like 430 or something, I don't remember.
Also , Did you do f331? I didn't, how was that?
for the question about suggest a better way to identify the iodine or something, I put add hexane and a violet colour will from ; it was such a weird question.

For the next iodine part about what will be seen, did you write grey/black solid?
for the question about suggest a better way to identify the iodine or something, I put add hexane and a violet colour will from ; it was such a weird question.

For the next iodine part about what will be seen, did you write grey/black solid?

Yeah I put those too can't think what else they would've wanted us to say. Haven't done f331 mate so I don't know. I don't remember the exact values for the calculations but your values sound familiar.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah I put those too can't think what else they would've wanted us to say. Haven't done f331 mate so I don't know. I don't remember the exact values for the calculations but your values sound familiar.

Ok thanks mate. I still can't get over how weird that exam was?

Rememer the question which asked you about HBr and propene? And you had to name it and then it asked you how did you decide which molecule it was and you had to identify that the bromine MUST be on the second carbon because at the end of the reaction a secondary alcohol is made...

So many of the questions were weird and difficult. Still can't get over that paper.
Ok thanks mate. I still can't get over how weird that exam was?

Rememer the question which asked you about HBr and propene? And you had to name it and then it asked you how did you decide which molecule it was and you had to identify that the bromine MUST be on the second carbon because at the end of the reaction a secondary alcohol is made...

So many of the questions were weird and difficult. Still can't get over that paper.

Yeah I know..I thought the first question about Venus was weird as well. Do you remember what it was exactly?
For the HBr one, because propene is unsymmetrical the hydrogen becomes attached to the carbon which has the most hydrogens attached to it already, doesn't it? I mean this is probably not the right answer but I remembered something like this and you ended up with the secondary alcohol so it had to be. But as I said I dunno what the correct answer is...
Yeah I know..I thought the first question about Venus was weird as well. Do you remember what it was exactly?
For the HBr one, because propene is unsymmetrical the hydrogen becomes attached to the carbon which has the most hydrogens attached to it already, doesn't it? I mean this is probably not the right answer but I remembered something like this and you ended up with the secondary alcohol so it had to be. But as I said I dunno what the correct answer is...

From the spec and what we need to learn, I think we had to say that bromine must be on the second carbon because when NaOH is added a secondary alchol must be produced... It took me a while to understand that...

It was a really hard paper, the GB will be the lowest this year, I'm sure.

I don't remember the venus question either but it was so weird.

What did you put for the iodine questions. One was about how the test would not help detect iodine (I said about chloride ions which would give a white precipitate/ conc of iodine might be too low due to other ions)

and for the one about how iodine can be identified using a different method (I had no idea... I said add hexane and a violet color will form)

and for the other iodine one about how will we know when it's reacted or something, I just said a black solid will from because in the equation there was solid iodine in the products?

I really need to compare answers, please reply. Thanks.
From the spec and what we need to learn, I think we had to say that bromine must be on the second carbon because when NaOH is added a secondary alchol must be produced... It took me a while to understand that...

It was a really hard paper, the GB will be the lowest this year, I'm sure.

I don't remember the venus question either but it was so weird.

What did you put for the iodine questions. One was about how the test would not help detect iodine (I said about chloride ions which would give a white precipitate/ conc of iodine might be too low due to other ions)

and for the one about how iodine can be identified using a different method (I had no idea... I said add hexane and a violet color will form)

and for the other iodine one about how will we know when it's reacted or something, I just said a black solid will from because in the equation there was solid iodine in the products?

I really need to compare answers, please reply. Thanks.

I put the exact same things that the chloride ions from the table salt are more reactive and will form a white precipitate like you said with silver ions. Said hexane for the other test as well because the question said something about distinguishing it from bromide ions or something like that I'm sure it mentioned something about bromide ions didn't it? So yeah violet colour appears. And I put grey black solid for the last one as well like you did so let's hope that its what they wanted to hear.
(edited 6 years ago)
I put the exact same things that the chloride ions from the table salt are more reactive and will form a white precipitate like you said with silver ions. Said hexane for the other test as well because the question said something about distinguishing it from bromide ions or something like that I'm sure it mentioned something about bromide ions didn't it? So yeah violet colour appears. And I put grey black solid for the last one as well like you did so let's hope that its what they wanted to hear.

Yeah, thanks for confirming mate!

How's f334 revision going?
Yeah, thanks for confirming mate!

How's f334 revision going?

Yeah think it's going ok hopefully the paper will be nice. How are you feeling? (Sorry for replying so late bud had a biology exam today)
Ahhh scared about the paper tmo tbh
Yeah think it's going ok hopefully the paper will be nice. How are you feeling? (Sorry for replying so late bud had a biology exam today)

Yeah hopefully it's a nice paper. Any predictions on what might come up?
Yeah hopefully it's a nice paper. Any predictions on what might come up?

To be honest I haven't done the 2016 paper yet just flicked through it so I'm not sure but possibly chromatography, optical isomerism (not sure if that was in last years ppr). have you got any better predictions? I'll see first
To be honest I haven't done the 2016 paper yet just flicked through it so I'm not sure but possibly chromatography, optical isomerism (not sure if that was in last years ppr). have you got any better predictions? I'll see first

I'm thinking colorimetry will come up. Don't really like the way they word those tbh.

How was biology?
I'm thinking colorimetry will come up. Don't really like the way they word those tbh.

How was biology?

Colorimetry hasn't come up for a while has it.
Biology went well thanks man!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending