The Student Room Group

WJEC Unit 4 Chemistry 19th june

how did everyone find the exam today?? Thought I'd make a thread because I couldn't find one!!
Reply 1
Original post by Georgiejones13
how did everyone find the exam today?? Thought I'd make a thread because I couldn't find one!!

Compound N

2 peaks, 1:1 ratio for the benzene with 2 amines attached

311 kjmol-1

Compound W was a 10C molecule, with a COOH at one end, and a CH3-C=O at the other, at opposite sides of the double bond.

Off the top of my head.
Reply 2
Original post by BigHass69
Compound N

311 kjmol-1

Compound W was a 10C molecule, with a COOH at one end, and a CH3-C=O at the other, at opposite sides of the double bond.

Off the top of my head.

I had the same as you for all of that, thought the compound n was a bit confusing cause the peak heights didn't have anything to do with the number of protons in the environment did it? anyways I still had n due to the splitting, thought it was good overall lots of reagants and drawing reactions etc.
Reply 3
Original post by srees99
I had the same as you for all of that, thought the compound n was a bit confusing cause the peak heights didn't have anything to do with the number of protons in the environment did it? anyways I still had n due to the splitting, thought it was good overall lots of reagants and drawing reactions etc.

Yeah, the aqueous bromine added to a large molecule was a pain to draw (displayed formula too)
Compound N

311 kjmol-1

Off the top of my head.

I had 2 peaks because there was 2 diff hydrogen environments!! What was the 311kjmol-1 for??
Reply 5
Yeah, the aqueous bromine added to a large molecule was a pain to draw (displayed formula too)

yeah and the dipeptide was big too
Reply 6
I had 2 peaks because there was 2 diff hydrogen environments!! What was the 311kjmol-1 for??

The pH part. Had to calculate frequency then energy
Reply 7
Urgh my mind just went blank and I couldn't remember anything 😣😣
Original post by LymWa
Urgh my mind just went blank and I couldn't remember anything 😣😣

so did mine I found the paper worse than unit 3
Reply 9
so did mine I found the paper worse than unit 3

Same ! Forgot all the reagents and couldn't draw any of the things or do the NMR bit !
Original post by LymWa
Same ! Forgot all the reagents and couldn't draw any of the things or do the NMR bit !

same don't worry about it too much I was in the same position sure many others were too!! honestly it was pushed for time and grade boundaries will probably be lower anyway because it was an intense paper
Yeah I found it pretty difficult too! It's all well and good learning the mechanisms for things using the examples they give you in the text book but gosh some of the compounds they used really confused me and I felt I was guessing most of the stuff.
I just hope I don't fail so badly that it brings my grade down loads because I think I've done pretty good in the other exams, it would be really disappointing.
Original post by MissNatTheCat
Yeah I found it pretty difficult too! It's all well and good learning the mechanisms for things using the examples they give you in the text book but gosh some of the compounds they used really confused me and I felt I was guessing most of the stuff.
I just hope I don't fail so badly that it brings my grade down loads because I think I've done pretty good in the other exams, it would be really disappointing.

Im the exact same I need really good grades for uni and I feel like that could have completely ruined my changes!!
Reply 13
Im the exact same I need really good grades for uni and I feel like that could have completely ruined my changes!!

Yea same but yeah I agree was v intense and yeah quite a few of my friends agreed too so hopefully low boundaries! :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest