The Student Room Group

Films that didn't live up to the hype

Sometimes a film, before release, will garner loads of attention. This could be for a number of reasons, but it definitely always sucks when you see a film to realise it was just really overhyped. What films felt like this for you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Taken
Finding Dory
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Despicable Me
Flipped
Only God Forgives, the director came out with Drive 2 years earlier which was amazing. But his next creation was simply awful, one of the worst films I have ever seen and I have watched Sharknado.

EDIT: The Force Awakens, just a rehash of A New Hope, complete trash.
(edited 6 years ago)
I wasn't alive when it was released, but based on reviews Pulp Fiction was a complete letdown for me :no:
Suicide Squad
Reply 5
Divergent
The Maze Runner
I know I'm in the minority here but....Guardians of the Galaxy.

"Oh look, the opening is a bad knock off of ET. And then look, its a bad knock off Raiders of the Lost Ark! And now it's pillaging from Star Wars" YAWN.

Jokes weren't funny, literally didn't care about any of the characters, the action was just a CGI borefest. When you see 40 something year old man sitting beside you in the cinema, wearing his Marvel T-shirt and doubled over laughing at an animated racoon...it did make me feel a bit weird about GotG and it was the first time I felt uncomfortable watching a comic book movie.

That was just me though, I know a lot of people loved it.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I wasn't alive when it was released, but based on reviews Pulp Fiction was a complete letdown for me :no:

:shock:

How can Pulp Fiction be a let down?!
Reply 8
The first film that comes to mind is Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Avatar is entirely mediocre once you get over how pretty the effects are. Cameron is pushing on with four sequels, with Avatar 2 set for release 11 years after the original. Nobody cares about the series but they need to keep releasing them to justify their little corner of Disney World.

Original post by Meany Pie
Only God Forgives, the director came out with Drive 2 years earlier which was amazing. But his next creation was simply awful, one of the worst films I have ever seen and I have watched Sharknado.

I like to rate all the films I watch out of ten and put it all into a big spreadsheet because I'm sad like that. Only God Forgives is the only film that I've given a ?/10 to, I've watched it three times now and I have no bloody idea what to make of it. It's gorgeously shot like everything Refn does, the performances are great and some of the scenes do a great job of evoking a response from the watcher, but it's also well over the border into the realm of nonsensical.

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd give The Neon Demon a watch. All of the neon lit weirdness of OGF in a narrative that an actual person can make sense of.
As an avant garde art installation it would be perfect, but it isn't a general viewing film. It is the sort of film that leaves you with the "WTF did I just watch" feeling. I would put it in the same sort of category as Rubber (the one with the telekinetic tyre), but Rubber made some sense.
Under The Skin

Honestly, the worst film I've ever seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meany Pie
:shock:

How can Pulp Fiction be a let down?!

:dontknow: It barely had a story line.

It always gets compared with Fight Club, which is my favourite film ever, so I had high expectations. It's not like I'm not a fan of that genre or anything. But I just don't see the appeal at all :dontknow:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
:dontknow: It barely had a story line.

It always gets compared with Fight Club, which is my favourite film ever, so I had high expectations. It's not like I'm not a fan of that genre or anything. But I just don't see the appeal at all :dontknow:

It has several intertwined story lines.

I'm very disappointed.
Deadpool and Batman V Superman.
Both overhyped and not as good as they were supposed to be.
Anything starring Johnny Depp.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Sometimes a film, before release, will garner loads of attention. This could be for a number of reasons, but it definitely always sucks when you see a film to realise it was just really overhyped. What films felt like this for you?

Suicide squad (the Joker was barely in the film even though the majority of adverts featured him the most)

Stranger things ( I know its not a film but the Netflix series didn't excite me that much when i started watching episodes)
Original post by jestersnow
I know I'm in the minority here but....Guardians of the Galaxy.

"Oh look, the opening is a bad knock off of ET. And then look, its a bad knock off Raiders of the Lost Ark! And now it's pillaging from Star Wars" YAWN.

Jokes weren't funny, literally didn't care about any of the characters, the action was just a CGI borefest. When you see 40 something year old man sitting beside you in the cinema, wearing his Marvel T-shirt and doubled over laughing at an animated racoon...it did make me feel a bit weird about GotG and it was the first time I felt uncomfortable watching a comic book movie.

That was just me though, I know a lot of people loved it.

I totally agree, I didn't get it.
Dark knight rises and inception. Both good but no where near the hype. Batman begins is the best out of the trilogy imo.
Original post by SapphireSpire
Suicide squad (the Joker was barely in the film even though the majority of adverts featured him the most)

Stranger things ( I know its not a film but the Netflix series didn't excite me that much when i started watching episodes)

It was a painfully dull show. Again like GotG, it rips off (sorry, "pays homage") to bygone TV shows and films and tries to present it as something new or interesting.

The only reason I didn't mention it was because I only got 6 episodes in before giving up, so I didn't think it was fair for me to do it but based on what I saw I totally agree.

Quick Reply

Latest