The Student Room Group

Good Film BA courses outside of London with affordable accommodation?

Looking to return to education next year by doing an Extended BTEC in Creative Media Production and then do a Film BA - I have previously done a Film Studies A Level in 2009 but got a bad grade due to extenuating circumstances, and hadn't thought of returning to studying film until 2020. Going down the BTEC route as the practical filmmaking skills are the ones I'm lacking in, but ideally I'd like to do a more 'mixed' Film BA with a balance between more theoretical Film Studies and practical filmmaking. Obviously Sunderland is up there, and seems like a really nice (and affordable!) place to live, but student accommodation costs are so expensive in general even with the full Maintenance Loan plus Special Support Grant that I'm entitled to. University bursaries are barely anything nowadays!

Edited to add that I can't study in Leeds, Coventry, or Bournemouth for personal safety reasons due to previous domestic abuse experiences.
(edited 7 months ago)
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences

What about South Wales in Cardiff? https://www.southwales.ac.uk/courses/ba-hons-film/ It's a CILECT member film school and Cardiff is both a really nice city but also quite cheap to live in?
Reply 2
Ah, didn't realise South Wales was a CILECT member. I'm not actually too fussed about CILECT membership as I'm interested in doing a more 'mixed' course rather than a purely practical one, and CILECT member institutions seem to basically just do practical courses. I am definitely looking at Wales generally though because I'm also looking at Trinity St David's (which for Film is based in Swansea) or Swansea. Is Aberystwyth just Film Studies or is there a chance at more practical options too? I think I'd rather live in a city though.

The Guardian league tables have just come out and it's interesting to see how much Portsmouth has jumped up the tables. I live in Winchester so could possibly commute if that ended up being cheaper.
Reply 3
Also I am open to living in London, but the accommodation costs are just ridiculous even with the full Maintenance Loan plus the Special Support Grant as I need more space/an en-suite for disability reasons and also need year-round accommodation. I don't fancy Birkbeck even though I could commute because the city ~lifestyle is half the appeal of London (as a mature student I want nights out that aren't student night outs!).
Original post by hilly-harrier
Looking to return to education next year by doing an Extended BTEC in Creative Media Production and then do a Film BA - I have previously done a Film Studies A Level in 2009 but got a bad grade due to extenuating circumstances, and hadn't thought of returning to studying film until 2020. Going down the BTEC route as the practical filmmaking skills are the ones I'm lacking in, but ideally I'd like to do a more 'mixed' Film BA with a balance between more theoretical Film Studies and practical filmmaking. Obviously Sunderland is up there, and seems like a really nice (and affordable!) place to live, but student accommodation costs are so expensive in general even with the full Maintenance Loan plus Special Support Grant that I'm entitled to. University bursaries are barely anything nowadays!

Edited to add that I can't study in Leeds, Coventry, or Bournemouth for personal safety reasons due to previous domestic abuse experiences.

Hi there,

Sunderland is one of the cheapest places to live in the UK. In fact, Halifax ranked it the 11th most affordable city in 2021, so it’s a great option if you want to live comfortably on a budget. Sunderland house prices are also lower than in other parts of the country, which means lower-cost private renting and university accommodation. Linked here are some typical monthly costs for a student living in Sunderland, to help you work out your own budget.

We'd also encourage you to look at our scholarships and bursaries to check your eligibility for any potential additional funding.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by UniversityOfSunderland
Hi there,

Sunderland is one of the cheapest places to live in the UK. In fact, Halifax ranked it the 11th most affordable city in 2021, so it’s a great option if you want to live comfortably on a budget. Sunderland house prices are also lower than in other parts of the country, which means lower-cost private renting and university accommodation. Linked here are some typical monthly costs for a student living in Sunderland, to help you work out your own budget.

We'd also encourage you to look at our scholarships and bursaries to check your eligibility for any potential additional funding.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with :smile:

I literally mention Sunderland in the post so what's the point of this comment? I don't need the uni website regurgitated for me. Sick of uni reps spamming posts on here. It's not helpful.
Original post by hilly-harrier
I literally mention Sunderland in the post so what's the point of this comment? I don't need the uni website regurgitated for me. Sick of uni reps spamming posts on here. It's not helpful.

Hi,
We're sorry if the post came across any other way than positive, the aim was to simply highlight the value and affordability of our accommodation options. :smile:
If you'd like any more insight into the university course or living costs, please do not hesitate to reach out. Our Student Financial Guidance Team can also be contacted on [email protected] / 0191 515 2284

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending