The Student Room Group

Greedy train drivers refuse 24% pay rise

The drivers of trains on Southern Rial have refused to accept a 24% pay rise over 4 years that would take their basic salary to over £60k. On turnout of 81% 62% of Aslef members voted to reject the pay package , this is a dispute separate to the driver only trains dispute.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/southern-rail-train-drivers-set-to-strike-despite-24-pay-rise-offer-pgcr82dlq

The question that has to be asked is: where is the outrage from the left? These are people who are already in the top 10% or so of the population (for single drivers they're in the top 5%) causing disruption to hundreds of thousands of ordinary people because a 24% pay increase is insufficient, ordinary people who are receiving far more modest pay increases, with the average nominal wage growth being 2%. The proposed pay package would have them earn more in one day than somebody on minimum wage would in a week. If this were bankers or politicians the left would be up in arms, instead they're silent.

Scroll to see replies

This is why we need to strip back employment law. With a successful Brexit I expect the Conservatives to seize the opportunity to make the labour market more flexible. We need to ban unions and make striking a sackable offensive.
Original post by Whiskey&Freedom
We need to ban unions and make striking a sackable offensive.

Proportionate? Reasonable? Workable?

Great!
Reply 3
Basic salary to £60k while the basic salary for junior doctors is £26k? Can someone please justify what makes train driving more lucrative than becoming a doctor?
Automate, automate, automate.
24pct o_O
Reply 6
If they don't like it we can always try automation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by milkm4n
Basic salary to £60k while the basic salary for junior doctors is £26k? Can someone please justify what makes train driving more lucrative than becoming a doctor?

Quite simply. They have their employers over a barrel and no morals to boot. And the government are too scared to intervene because a striking rail sytem will grind this country to a halt. It would Brexit look like a desorable option economically speaking.
The problem with many British workers is they are so meek. They accept pitiful raises, are happy to work unpaid overtime, etc. So I respect these drivers for actually standing up for themselves.

If you want to get on in life and are not a complete numpty, become a train driver.
It seems like a lot of money but maybe they rejected it because their hours or conditions aren't good. We don't know the full story

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's so boring to just read rants, why don't you try posting the full story for a change? I'm sure they're not looking to just make you miserable, what's their reasoning for going on strike?

Previously they've said: "Aslef maintained it had not made a formal decision over pay but a train driver told the Standard: “We are happy with the money but not on the basis we sold out on safety.” He said feeling was running high over Southern’s attempt to “buy them off”.

I, for one, am fine with them putting safe working conditions and the safety of their passengers over money. But then again, I don't have this weird paranoia that working people (who know their jobs/trade best) are constantly trying to screw me over.

Original post by milkm4n

It's not a race to the bottom, we're not competing to see who can be the most downtrodden here you know.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by milkm4n

Extortionate rail fares.

Nice work if you can get it.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's all want, want, want, take, take, take with trade unionists - they should all be sacked.
Original post by Democracy

I, for one, am fine with them putting safe working conditions and the safety of their passengers over money.

You are aware that the 'safety issues' are about trains with no guards, aren't you? A practice that has been implemented all over Europe and on other lines in Britain, with union approval, without any safety problems.
Original post by Whiskey&Freedom
This is why we need to strip back employment law. With a successful Brexit I expect the Conservatives to seize the opportunity to make the labour market more flexible. We need to ban unions and make striking a sackable offensive.

You know nothing.
Original post by Good bloke
You are aware that the 'safety issues' are about trains with no guards, aren't you? A practice that has been implemented all over Europe and on other lines in Britain, with union approval, without any safety problems.

Hi Good bloke, it's been a while. Yeah I'm aware. Out of curiosity, have you ever been on a Southern Rail train during peak times? They don't need one guard so much as a team of ranch hands to make sure everyone everyone's squeezed in safely tbh. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable demand to me.
Original post by joyoustele
You know nothing.

With arguments like this it is obvious to everyone why the left keep losing elections.
Original post by Jammy Duel
The drivers of trains on Southern Rial have refused to accept a 24% pay rise over 4 years that would take their basic salary to over £60k. On turnout of 81% 62% of Aslef members voted to reject the pay package , this is a dispute separate to the driver only trains dispute.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/southern-rail-train-drivers-set-to-strike-despite-24-pay-rise-offer-pgcr82dlq

The question that has to be asked is: where is the outrage from the left? These are people who are already in the top 10% or so of the population (for single drivers they're in the top 5%) causing disruption to hundreds of thousands of ordinary people because a 24% pay increase is insufficient, ordinary people who are receiving far more modest pay increases, with the average nominal wage growth being 2%. The proposed pay package would have them earn more in one day than somebody on minimum wage would in a week. If this were bankers or politicians the left would be up in arms, instead they're silent.

£60k to sit on my arse all day? Where do I sign up?!
Original post by Democracy
Hi Good bloke, it's been a while. Yeah I'm aware. Out of curiosity, have you ever been on a Southern Rail train during peak times? They don't need one guard so much as a team of ranch hands to make sure everyone everyone's squeezed in safely tbh. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable demand to me.

How would this be different from, and less safe, than the extremely busy Bedford to St Pancras commuter line, which has been operating without guards (obviously, with union agreement) since 1982?
Original post by Good bloke
How would this be different from, and less safe, than the extremely busy Bedford to St Pancras commuter line, which has been operating without guards (obviously, with union agreement) since 1982?

I'm not a train driver. However, I would assume they know more about their job than non-train drivers and certainly more than people who have personal financial gain as an incentive. I don't think they're a mafia or that they're pathologically greedy or out to do me harm, so I'll assume (until I've seen solid evidence to the contrary) that they know more about operating a train safely than the average person.

So why do you think they're doing it then?

Latest

Trending

Trending